I’ve been using the bestselling Squalane + Vitamin C Rose Oil for a month now. Here are my thoughts on its performance.
Our rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 4.5/5
Unmatched glow and hydration. But not very firming.
Squalane + Vitamin C Rose Oil Specs
Squalane + Vitamin C Rose Oil is a vegan face oil designed to brighten, firm, and hydrate the skin. The oil has won multiple beauty awards and is praised for its lightweight consistency and beautiful glow.
The oil features a blend of vegan squalane, Damascus rose petal extract, Chios crystal oil, and a stable, oil-soluble form of vitamin C. The oil is also fragrance-free and free of all harsh chemicals and fillers.
Biossance is a female-owned vegan skincare brand from California. The brand is known for its sustainable sugarcane-derived squalane – an excellent hydrating ingredient that you can find in all of its products.
Biossance pairs squalane with various clinically proven actives such as peptides, amino acids, and vitamin C. The company has a list of over 2000 potentially harmful ingredients they avoid, among those are synthetic fragrance, mineral oil, and parabens.
To be honest, Biossance is one of my favorite vegan skincare brands of all time. I love their Omega+ Repair vegan moisturizer for dry skin, so I was also very excited to try out their bestselling face oil. Here is how I feel about the oil.
Here is what we like about this oil so far:
- Certified vegan – Biossance is certified vegan and cruelty-free by both PETA and Leaping Bunny. Official certification is always a good guarantee that no animals have been used or harmed in the making of this oil.
- Natural ingredients – The oil has only 7 ingredients total and they are mostly skin-loving plant extracts such as Damask rose oil.
- Hydrating squalane – Most face oils do not hydrate the skin and only act as an occlusive to prevent moisture loss. Thanks to squalane, this oil actually hydrates the skin in an effective yet non-comedogenic way.
- High-quality vitamin C – This oil uses Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate which is one of the most effective (and expensive) forms of vitamin C. Since this form is oil-soluble, it is also highly stable and does not oxidize when exposed to air.
- Sustainably made – This oil is made in the USA in a My Green Lab certified facility. This means Biossance has pledged to responsible usage of energy, waste, and water.
Here is what we don’t like about the oil:
- It’s expensive – the $70 price is hefty, especially for a face oil.
- Messy application – pump applicator would’ve been much better than the dropper. Droppers are messy and expose the formula to too much air. Luckily, they use a stable form of vitamin C.
- Chios crystal oil – not sure if this is the best firming ingredient they could come up with. While crystal oil undoubtedly looks beautiful on the skin, there is not enough evidence of its collagen-boosting properties.
- Plastic packaging – Biossance moved from glass packaging to recyclable plastic, so the bottles would be easier to hold. For sustainability, we would’ve preferred that they stuck with glass.
Squalane + Vitamin C Rose Oil was love at first sight for me. I applied it on top of my moisturizer and the oil absorbed instantly leaving a non-greasy glow. The skin felt supple and well-fed.
I’m not a fan of roses but this oil has such a subtle scent. When the rose scent is done right and it is not artificial, it is rather fresh and luxurious than overpowering. This oil has done it right.
- Texture: the texture is the best part, it is so light and non-greasy. Little goes a long way.
- Smell: delightful mild rose scent, has a luxurious freshness about it
- Absorption: it absorbs fast and leaves an instant glow. Not an oily shine, actual glow!
- Packaging: we generally prefer pumps but the dropper is very well designed. It gives out the right amount of the product and the wiper in the bottleneck also helps to keep everything clean.
Results Over Time
So I tried Squalane + Vitamin C Rose Oil for 30 days before writing this review. I used it at least once a day on my moisturizer. My own skin type is rather dry, so this oil has become my skincare staple.
First of all – the glow. The oil gives such a beautiful glow which is why it became my go-to product before going out. Even though I added SPF after the oil, the radiance still gleams through.
There is really something about this squalane and crystal oil combo that works. Squalane plumps the skin with hydration and the crystals add the final magic touch. I also like that this oil does not feel greasy at all, even on hotter days.
Also, the oil is not comedogenic at all. I haven’t experienced any blackheads, increased pore size, or breakouts since using it, even though face oils have had that effect on me before. I feel that my skin can breathe and it compliments other skincare products.
So on to the negatives. Even though this oil uses high-quality vitamin C, it just does not seem to have the same benefits as vitamin C serums. The skin looks a bit brighter but it might be just the crystal particles reflecting the skin.
The oil is not also particularly firming but it does make your skin look younger. I haven’t seen a decrease in my fine lines but they are less noticeable. The skin is just so well hydrated and nourished, the skin texture looks smoother and more even as a result.
Does your skin change over time when you use it? Not particularly. I think the results are only apparent when you actually apply the oil. Once you stop using the oil, you will also lose the glow. But when you do use this oil daily, here is what you can expect:
- Radiance: 5/5
- Hydration: 5/5
- Suppleness: 5/5
- Skin health: 5/5
- Brightening: 4/5
- Firming: 3/5
I’ve tried many different vegan face oils (to the point of almost giving up) but Squalane + Vitamin C Rose Oil is beyond the competition. I’m addicted to the glow and hydration boost from this face oil, and I intend to keep using it.
While an expensive product, little does go a long way. You only need a few drops to make your skin look much more youthful and healthy. It’s a great beauty weapon to keep in your arsenal. And most importantly, it is vegan, natural, and sustainably made.
If you are looking for something very brightening and firming, this oil is not it. I actually doubt any face oil will produce significant results in those areas. What this vegan face oil does, is make your skin look overall healthy and youthful, reflecting away all the imperfections.
FAQ About Biossance Squalane + Vitamin C Rose Oil
Yes. Squalane + Vitamin C Rose Oil is vegan (and so are all Biossance products).
Yes. It is the best vegan face oil out there and definitely worth the money.
The Squalane + Vitamin C Rose Oil adds such a beautiful glow and boosts the skin’s hydration. It is also made from clean and natural ingredients.
The oil does not firm the skin significantly. It is also quite expensive.
You can buy the oil on Amazon, Sephora, and through the company’s own website.