Dermalogica Invisible Physical Defense Mineral Sunscreen SPF 30 was first recommended to me by ‘skinfluencer’ Cassandra Bankson. This vegan sunscreen did not disappoint. I mean, mineral defense without the white cast? Sign me up.
So here are my honest thoughts about this sunblock. While the sunscreen has a few cons (the biggest one being the price), I have been using this for 3 months now and the benefits just keep on piling up. It’s an amazing product and I am happy to recommend it to all skin types.
Dermalogica Invisible Physical Defense Mineral Sunscreen Specs
Dermalogica Invisible Physical Defense Mineral Sunscreen is vegan and certified cruelty-free. As a vegan sunscreen, it has a lot of good things going on. So let’s go over the product specs real quick.
Dermalogica Invisible Physical Defense Mineral Sunscreen:
- SPF: 30
- Defense: mineral/physical
- Main ingredient: 20.9 % zinc oxide
- Other ingredients: green tea, mushroom complex
- Broad spectrum: yes
- Blue light protection: yes
- Reef-safe: yes
- Non-nano: yes
- Waterproof: no
- Fragrance-free: yes
My first impression was wow – what a high concentration of zinc oxide. It did make me wonder whether it leaves a thick white residue on the skin but it also gave me trust that this product will mightily guard my skin against the harmful UV rays.
From the ingredients, I like the added green tea extract. Green tea is an excellent antioxidant that balances the skin and protects it from free radical damage. The mushroom complex seems to have good anti-inflammatory benefits – it reduces redness from the sun.
The broad spectrum defense is a given thing these days but I love the added blue light protection from technology. As a mineral sunscreen, it is also an eco-friendly choice as it’s free of reef-harming chemicals such as oxybenzone or octinoxate.
Is Dermalogica Invisible Physical Defense Mineral Sunscreen Good?
Hands down, this is the best vegan sunscreen I have ever used. I have been using it the whole summer, on the beach, in outdoor events, jogging, and cycling. I have gotten no sunburn ever, only a very nice natural tan. This sunscreen also reduces redness quite visibly.
My dream was to find a mineral sunscreen that is sustainable and skin-friendly. This formula feels nice on the skin, it allows the skin to breathe and doesn’t feel heavy at all. It also goes well under makeup. I apply it on top of my moisturizer and follow with a foundation.
Does Dermalogica Invisible Physical Defense Mineral Sunscreen Leave White Cast?
No, Dermalogica Invisible Physical Defense Mineral Sunscreen leaves no white cast on the skin. It’s one of its greatest benefits since it has a high concentration of minerals.
Warm the formula in your fingers for a second, apply it generously to your skin, and you will see that it dries on completely sheer. It even leaves a nice subtle glow behind.
Pros Of Dermalogica Invisible Physical Defense Mineral Sunscreen
Here are the pros of this vegan sunscreen.
- Great protection – Be it UVA, UVB, or tech light – this vegan sunscreen really protects your skin with a high concentration of zinc oxide.
- Reef-safe mineral formula – Above all, this vegan sunscreen is sustainable. It uses no ocean-harming chemicals or nanoparticles.
- No white cast – It really dries on sheer, especially when you warm it in your hands for a few seconds and rub it in your skin. I love the nice glow it leaves. Note: I have quite pale skin, so I’d love to hear from people with darker skin tones.
- It doubles as a primer – Even though I have dry skin, I use this vegan sunscreen instead of a makeup primer. It keeps the skin smooth and sufficiently hydrated.
- It has great antioxidants – Green tea is a superb antioxidant. It provides your skin additional protection from pollution and oxidative damage.
- Good for all skin types – We recommend this sunscreen to all skin types, including sensitive skin. It’s non-comedogenic, chemical-free, and fragrance-free.
Cons Of Dermalogica Invisible Physical Defense Mineral Sunscreen SPF 30
These are the cons of this sunscreen.
- It’s expensive – This is not the sunscreen that you can lather all over your body. It’s an expensive face skincare product as 50 ml costs you 45 dollars.
- The consistency is a bit thick – You need to warm it in your hands a little bit before applying. It doesn’t glide on as smooth as some chemical sunscreens.
- It’s not waterproof – This sunscreen is quite sweatproof but not waterproof. In the water, it becomes white and visible again, so you will need to reapply it right after swimming.
- The packaging could be safer – We prefer vegan sunscreens to have a screw gap which makes them safer for traveling and carrying with you.
FAQ About Dermalogica Invisible Physical Defense Mineral Sunscreen
Yes. It’s a vegan sunscreen.
This sunscreen is absolutely worth it. It gives you skin-friendly mineral defense without leaving any white cast.
Yes! It’s a non-nano mineral sunscreen that is totally reef-safe.
It’s technically not but oily and combination skin can definitely use this sunscreen also as a moisturizer. It’s hydrating enough for oily complexions and includes some healthy antioxidants.
Why Trust Us
At Vegan Avenue, we love to test and review mineral vegan sunscreens and find the best options for our readers. While we support using mineral-based sunscreen for environmental reasons, we still review them through a very critical lens.
Dermalogica Invisible Physical Defense Mineral Sunscreen SPF 30 was recommended to us by several skincare professionals. This review has not been incentivized by the brand in any way. Read more about how we review products and brands here.
Overall, Dermalogica Invisible Physical Defense Mineral Sunscreen SPF 30 receives excellent ratings from us. It combines effective mineral protection with a skin-friendly formula, leaves no white cast, and gives a lovely glow.
It does cost a lot, so get another sunscreen for your body. Apply this one only to your face, neck, and decollete. We also recommend not using it when going swimming as it is not waterproof. But as a daily sunscreen, we will use it all year round.