Paula’s Choice Clinical 0.3% Retinol + 2% Bakuchiol Treatment is featured in our vegan retinols article as the best vegan retinol serum for 2023.
Here is our experience with this anti-aging skincare product – the pros, the cons, and the results of using this vegan anti-aging skincare product for over 2 months.
I personally have combination skin that is often on the dry side. My main issues are fine lines, uneven skin texture, and dull complexion. I hope this vegan serum will be of help.
Shop the retinol serum: Amazon, Sephora
Clinical 0.3% Retinol + 2% Bakuchiol Treatment Specs
Paula’s Choice Clinical 0.3% Retinol + 2% Bakuchiol Treatment is a powerful anti-aging serum that targets fine lines, wrinkles, uneven skin tone and enlargened pores. The ingredients in this serum boost collagen production, smooth skin’s texture and firm the skin.
The main ingredients of the serum are:
- Vitamin C
- Hyaluronic acid
The first thing you notice about this serum is that the 0.3% retinol concentration is not too high. Thus, this serum should be a good fit for everyone who are just introducing retinol into their skincare routine. The concentration should be also suitable for dry skin.
The anti-aging effects of retinol are boosted by a 2% concentration of bakuchiol – a vegan retinol alternative that is derived from the Psoralea corylifolia plant. Bakuchiol is generally gentler than retinol and can even counteract the potential irritation and dryness from retinol.
What I really love about this serum is that it does not overly rely on retinol to do the heavy lifting. It also features peptides and vitamin C to firm the skin and reduce wrinkles. On top of that, the serum hydrates the skin with vegan ceramides and hyaluronic acid.
All in all, if this serum works, it has the potential to replace all other serums in your arsenal. The ingredients are impressive and fully science-packed. Let’s just hope they work well together.
Is Clinical 0.3% Retinol + 2% Bakuchiol Treatment Good?
Paula’s Choice Clinical 0.3% Retinol + 2% Bakuchiol Treatment is a great anti-aging serum. When used regularly, the serum makes your skin much smoother and brighter. While I haven’t seen any change in my deeper wrinkles, my skin feels much firmer.
I’ve been using this vegan serum for over 2 months now in my nighttime routine. First a few times a week, then every other night, and now nightly. It’s the first retinol serum that I’ve used consistently and I’m only now beginning to see the changes that everyone is raving about.
Now that my skin is used to this 0.3% serum, I’d like to soon try Paula’s Choice Clinical 1% Retinol Treatment. This more potent vegan serum that has even better reviews than the current one, so I’m excited about taking my retinol game to a new level.
Clinical 0.3% Retinol + 2% Bakuchiol Treatment Pros
These are the pros of Paula’s Choice Clinical 0.3% Retinol + 2% Bakuchiol Treatment.
- Fresh & creamy – This serum has a really nice fresh scent, kind of minty and herbal. The texture is also creamy and soft. Love the cooling effect on my skin.
- Absorbs fast – It has no stickiness, no greasiness or residue. It’s lightweight and soaks into the skin fast. You can apply the night cream right away.
- Improves skin tone – This serum visibly evens the skin tone and makes the skin brighter and more luminous. Some say it has even helped with their acne scars.
- Blurs the look of pores – The pores on my nose and forehead have become less visible. That’s also thanks to using the 2% BHA exfoliant from the same brand.
- Reduces some fine lines – The skin looks overall smoother and firmer and I can see some different in my fine lines.
- Didn’t irritate my skin – While this serum is quite potent, it didn’t irritate or dry out my skin at all. No tingle also applying it. It also helps that it’s fragrance-free and oil-free.
- It’s a multitasker – This vegan serum really simplifies the skincare routine. It’s an anti-aging retinol serum, brightening vitamin C serum and hydrating peptide serum in one.
Clinical 0.3% Retinol + 2% Bakuchiol Treatment Cons
These are the cons of Paula’s Choice Clinical 0.3% Retinol + 2% Bakuchiol Treatment.
- Can irritate sensitive skin – Whereas it didn’t irritate my skin, people with sensitive skin have experienced irritation, dryness, burning, and peeling from it.
- Effects take time to see – This treatment does not offer immediate results. It took my over 2 months to be able to notice a visible difference in my skin.
- No change in wrinkles – After two months, I’ve noticed no difference in my deeper wrinkles.
- It’s expensive – I always talk about price but it’s an expensive 60 dollar product. You can find retinol serums that are half the price.
FAQ About Clinical 0.3% Retinol + 2% Bakuchiol Treatment
Yes. The treatment is vegan and cruelty-free.
Yes. It’s absolutely worth it if you want to improve your skin tone and texture.
Apply 1–2 pumps onto clean face and neck nightly, avoid contact with eyes. Follow with a moisturizer. Start out with a few times a week, gradually increase it to every evening.
This oil-free serum should be safe to use with acne. It’s not a clarifying treatment but it helps to improve skin texture and reduces the look of pores
It’s gentler than many other retinol serums but sensitive skin should be still careful with it. Patch test before committing to it.
Why Trust Us
Our review of Paula’s Choice Clinical 0.3% Retinol + 2% Bakuchiol Treatment has not been incentivized. We purchased the product and tried it out for over 2 months to write up as objective and comprehensive a review as possible. Read more about how we review products and brands.
Paula’s Choice Clinical 0.3% Retinol + 2% Bakuchiol Treatment is a serum that will most likely change your skin for the better. It affects both skin tone and skin texture making your face look smoother and more luminous. It also blurs pores and reduces fine lines.
This is not the strongest retinol serum but it includes many potent ingredients. Sensitive skin types should be careful with it. For my combination skin, it caused no dryness or redness, so I will definitely keep buying it. I would also love to try the 1% Retinol Treatment from Paula.