I was eager to try out Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen SPF 40 after having read tons of rave reviews on social media. While I’m not a fan of chemical sunscreens, this is the best chemical sunscreen I’ve used. As the name suggests, this sunblock really is invisible.
This vegan sunscreen delivers on looking sheer and feeling weightless. It has a silky formula that glides on well and also doubles as a primer. The protection is great – I haven’t gotten any sunburn or redness when wearing this throughout a very hot summer.
While I like appreciate that this sunscreen is free of the worst kind of ocean-damaging chemicals such as oxybenzone, I do not agree with the producer that this sunscreen is “reef-friendly”. It still includes chemicals like homosalate that can cause damage to reefs.
Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen Specs
Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen SPF 40 is vegan and certified cruelty-free. These are some additional specifications of this product.
Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen:
- SPF: 40
- Defense: chemical
- Main ingredients: avobenzone, homosalate, octisalate, octocrylene
- Other ingredients: frankincense, meadowfoam seed
- Broad spectrum: yes
- Blue light protection: yes
- Reef-safe: not entirely but free of oxybenzone and octinoxate
- Non-nano: yes
- Waterproof: yes
- Fragrance-free: yes
This vegan sunscreen sounds good based on its specs. SPF 40 is strong enough and the added blue light protection is always a plus. We also love that it’s waterproof for up to 40 minutes. It’s a great vegan face sunscreen to wear daily as well as on the beach or when exercising.
While we are not fans of homosalate, this chemical sunscreen avoids a wide variety of other iffy chemicals and artificial ingredients. Instead, it includes some interesting antioxidants to shield you from environmental pollution and free radical damage.
Is Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen SPF 40 Good?
Overall, Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen is a very good sunscreen. It has a velvety texture, it feels nice on the skin, and it protects the skin well from UVA rays, UVB rays, and blue tech light. It is no wonder this sunscreen comes highly recommended by dermatologists.
The formula is also waterproof and sweatproof which is great for active people. Even though I still prefer mineral sunscreens for sustainability reasons, this is the best chemical sunscreen I have used so far.
Does Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen SPF 40 Leave White Cast?
Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen SPF 40 leaves no white cast on the skin. The formula is transparent and dries on invisible. If anything, it leaves a nice light glow.
All in all, you do not usually need to worry about white cast with chemical sunscreens such as this one. The white ghost mask effect tends to be a problem with mineral sunscreens.
Pros Of Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen SPF 40
So I’ve used this vegan sunscreen for over a month. Here are my pros.
- It’s an effective sunblock – This sunscreen protects the skin very well. I’ve experienced no sunburn, sun damage, or redness even in the hottest climate.
- It’s invisible – You really cannot see this vegan sunscreen. It leaves a very natural hydrated look on the skin. Black and darker skin types will especially appreciate it.
- Waterproof & sweatproof – The sunscreen is waterproof for up to 40 minutes which is great. Just remember to reapply it when you are in the water for longer.
- Oil-free formula – Though it has shea butter, it’s still considered an oil-free formula that will not clog pores. Thus, it fits well with oily and acne-prone skin types.
- Little goes a long way – I wear sunscreen every day and one tube has lasted me for well over a month. You do not need much to cover your whole face and neck.
- It’s free of oxybenzone and octinoxate – This chemical sunscreen is free of the worst kind of chemicals that can cause serious damage to ocean reefs.
- It has good antioxidants – The antioxidants from frankincense and meadowfoam seed are a nice plus for this sunscreen. Your skin will always need antioxidants.
- Safe packaging – I love the lightweight tube packaging with a screw gap – it’s very safe and easy to take with when traveling or going to the beach. 100% mess-free.
Cons Of Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen SPF 40
These are the main cons of this vegan sunscreen.
- It’s not reef-friendly – The marketing of this product is misleading. This is not a completely reef-friendly formula since it includes homosalate. That was the biggest bummer.
- It’s quite expensive – Though this sunscreen is not as expensive as our favorite Dermalogica sunscreen, it’s still up there at $36 for 50 ml. This means you will need another sunblock for your body.
- It has a chemical smell – This vegan sunscreen should not have any scent or fragrance but to me, it has a kind of a chemical smell that I do not appreciate.
- Can irritate sensitive skin – Sensitive skin types should not wear this sunscreen and opt for mineral ones. My partner has very sensitive skin and this sunscreen caused significant redness. Other skin types have been fine though.
FAQ About Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen SPF 40
Yes, the Unseen Sunscreen SPF 40 is vegan.
It’s a chemical sunscreen.
Not entirely. While this sunscreen avoids the worst kind of reef-harming chemicals, it still includes homosalate that can damage coral reefs.
If you are looking for a silky and invisible sunscreen that goes well under makeup, the Unseen Sunscreen is 100% worth it.
Why Trust Us
Finding the best vegan sunscreen has been one of our top priorities at Vegan Avenue. Sunscreen is not just a beauty product, it’s a crucial health product. Thus, we always try out different sunscreens over a longer period of time before writing up a review.
Several of our writers personally tried out Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen SPF 40. We followed meticulous criteria in testing this product from properties and ingredients to sustainability. The review is also 100% unincentivized. Read more about how we review products and brands here.
Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen SPF 40 is a very good chemical vegan sunscreen. The main benefit of it is the transparent effect and effective protection.
While I will personally stick to mineral vegan sunscreens, I do recommend this sunscreen to everyone who wants that sheer look – especially if you have darker skin.