The popularity of BB creams is rising. Beauty Balms or Blemish Balms give great light coverage and a natural “no makeup” look with some added skincare benefits.
In 2023, you can also find plenty of vegan BB creams that use no animal-derived emollients or pigments. Vegan-friendly BB creams are just as good as traditional ones.
Below, you will find the best vegan BB creams for every skin type. All BB creams we list are vegan and cruelty-free meaning they are free of animal ingredients and not tested on animals.
Best Vegan BB Creams
We have narrowed down the best vegan BB creams on the market. Hope you find the right vegan beauty balm for your skin.
- Best Overall: Tarte BB Blur Tinted Moisturizer SPF 30
- Best Organic: Coola Rōsilliance Organic BB Cream SPF 30
- Best Affordable: Purito Cica Clearing BB Cream
- Best Luxury: Bella Terra Cosmetics Mineral BB Cream
- Best With SPF: Australian Gold Botanical Tinted Face BB Cream SPF 50
- Best For Redness: 100% Pure BB Cream
- Best For Fair Skin: One/Size Turn Up The Base BBB Cream
- Best For Dark Skin: Summer Fridays Sheer Skin Tint
- Best For Dry Skin: Pacifica Alight Multi-Mineral BB Cream
- Best For Oily Skin: Covergirl Clean Matte BB Cream
- Best For Combination Skin: Purlisse Radiant Glow Illuminating BB Cream
- Best For Acne-Prone Skin: Tarte Amazonian Clay BB Tinted Moisturizer
- Best For Mature Skin: Purlisse Ageless Glow Serum BB Cream SPF 40
- Best For Sensitive Skin: Inika Certified Organic BB Cream
- Best For Men: Mmuk Man Age Defense BB Cream
- Best For Hair: Repair Solution Ion Repair BB Cream
Best Vegan BB Cream Overall
Tarte BB Blur is the best vegan BB cream. It provides enough coverage to hide pores and imperfections while feeling lightweight and airy on the skin. It has Amazonian clay for a matte finish and vitamin E with hyaluronic acid to hydrate and condition the skin.
For some reason, Tarte markets this product as a primer. It definitely also works as a primer but it’s essentially still a BB cream. It also comes with broad spectrum SPF 30 for daily sun protection. A great foundation, primer, sunscreen, and moisturizer in one.
- What we like: natural no-makeup look, smooth and soft texture
- What we don’t like: shades have changed in the new formula
- What other reviewers say: lightweight, amazing coverage, blends well, does not settle in lines, evens out skin tone
Key ingredients: diamond powder, plant extracts, lipoamino acids| Coverage: medium, buildable | Finish: natural matte | SPF: 30 | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, clean, paraben-free, mineral oil-free, gluten-free, dermatologist-tested
Best Organic Vegan BB Cream
Coola offers the best organic vegan BB cream. Made with rose stem cells, this clean and gentle BB cream hydrates the skin and gives it a luminous and even complexion. The formula blends well, it is water-resistant, hypoallergenic, dermatologist-tested, and has SPF 30.
- What we like: hydrates the skin, glowing finish, lovely faint rose smell
- What we don’t like: it doesn’t provide much coverage
- What other reviewers say: natural glow, safe for sensitive skin, absorbs quickly
Key ingredients: rose stem cells| Coverage: sheer | Finish: radiant| SPF: 30 | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, organic, clean, natural, dermatologist-tested, non-comedogenic, chemical screen-free, water-resistant
Best Affordable Vegan BB Cream
Looking for an affordable vegan BB cream? Go for the Cica Clearing BB Cream. This fragrance-free vegan BB cream uses clean ingredients and provides the best coverage. Made with Centella Asiatica, niacinamide, and allantoin, it also soothes and hydrates the skin.
- What we like: great coverage, cancels redness
- What we don’t like: not transfer-proof, somewhat oily
- What other reviewers say: soft and smooth, does not irritate sensitive skin, covers redness, prevents breakouts
Key ingredients: Centella, niacinamide, allantoin, panthenol | Coverage: light to medium, buildable | Finish: natural satin | SPF: no | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, synthetic fragrance-free, essential oil-free
Best Luxury Vegan BB Cream
Bella Terra Mineral BB Cream is the best luxury vegan BB cream. The mineral-based formula goes on silky smooth and it gives you a completely blurred and even finish. It can be also used as a concealer, it covers fine lines and wrinkles without setting in them.
- What we like: flawless finish, conceals all imperfections
- What we don’t like: too heavy for oily skin
- What other reviewers say: colors are easy to match, fresh face look, soft texture, transfer-proof, comfortable pump applicator
Key ingredients: minerals | Coverage: full | Finish: radiant| SPF: 20 | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, natural, mineral-based, hypoallergenic, nut-free, talc-free, fragrance-free, paraben-free, gluten-free
Best Vegan BB Cream With SPF
Australian Gold offers our favorite vegan BB cream with SPF. It provides you with an effective mineral-based broad-spectrum SPF 50 with some light skin tint. Perfect for the summer, it’s lightweight, oil-free, water-resistant, and made from Australian botanicals.
- What we like: beautiful matte finish, great sun protection
- What we don’t like: can clog pores
- What other reviewers say: spreads easily, little goes a long way, masks redness
Key ingredients: Kakadu plum, eucalyptus, red algae, zinc oxide, titanium oxide| Coverage: light | Finish: matte | SPF: 50 | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, fragrance-free, water-resistant, oil-free, sulfate-free, hypoallergenic, dermatologist-tested, non-nano, gluten-free, alcohol-free, mineral-based
Best Vegan BB Cream For Redness
While vegan CC creams are better for covering redness, this natural vegan BB cream from 100% Pure also works for redness. The buildable coverage allows you to hide red areas – especially if you dab it on with your fingers. It also fights redness and inflammation with antioxidants.
- What we like: moisturizes dry skin, beautiful glow, covers redness
- What we don’t like: shades often out of stock
- What other reviewers say: subtle glow, very hydrating and nourishing, thick and creamy texture, blends swell, good amount of coverage
Key ingredients: raspberry and bilberry seed oils, cherry, aloe, shea butter, vitamin E | Coverage: light to medium | Finish: dewy | SPF: no | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, natural, organic, clean, gluten-free, made in Italy
Best Vegan BB Cream For Fair Skin
For fair skin, we recommend this vegan BB cream from Patrick Starr’s vegan beauty brand. You get to choose from 3 fair and 3 light shades with neutral, rosy, and golden undertones to match and illuminate fair skin. It provides great coverage and has such a natural, matte finish.
- What we like: full coverage, great shade options
- What we don’t like: can look flaky on dry skin
- What other reviewers say: covers pores, acne scars, and imperfections, smooth and matte finish, does not get shiny for oily and combination skin
Key ingredients: Japanese white rose stem cells. avocado, mango | Coverage: medium to full | Finish: soft matte | SPF: no | Features: vegan, cruelty-free
Best Vegan BB Cream For Dark Skin
Summer Fridays Sheer Skin Tint is the best vegan BB cream for dark skin. It creates the perfect natural no-makeup look. Their range includes 5 deep shades with cool, warm, and golden undertones. Vegan squalane and hyaluronic acid hydrate dark skin and remove ashiness.
- What we like: even out skin tone, amazing hydration
- What we don’t like: too shiny for oily skin
- What other reviewers say: natural, moisturizing, lightweight, watery liquid formula blends well, reduces redness
Key ingredients: vegan squalane, hyaluronic acid, niacinamide, tiger grass, safflower | Coverage: sheer, light | Finish: natural | SPF: no | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, clean, paraben-free, sulfate-free, mineral oil-free
Best Vegan BB Cream For Dry Skin
Pacifica Alight is the best hydrating vegan BB cream for dry skin. It gives amazing hydration with coconut water, plant stem cells, and hyaluronic acid. Dry skin gets a beautiful dewy finish and a well-blended even coverage. We like that it does not also it in lines.
- What we like: adds a natural glow, hydrates the skin, blends well
- What we don’t like: not much coverage
- What other reviewers say: works also as a primer, has beautiful well-blending shades, nice shimmer, is non-greasy, feels light on the skin
Key ingredients: flower stem cells, coconut water, hyaluronic acid | Coverage: sheer | Finish: dewy | SPF: no | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, natural, paraben-free, phthalate-free, talc-free, mineral oil-free
Best Vegan BB Cream For Oily Skin
Covergirl Clean Matte is the best vegan BB cream for oily skin. This mattifying vegan BB cream hides blemishes, pores, and dark circles, and keeps the shine at bay. The cream lasts quite a long time and does not need frequent touch-ups. It’s also oil-free and very affordable.
- What we like: matte and long-wearing for oily skin
- What we don’t like: strong odor
- What other reviewers say: hides pores and blemishes, does not pill or cake, controls shine, does not feel heavy on the skin, not dull, gives a fresh look
Key ingredients: water, pigments, talc | Coverage: light to medium | Finish: matte | SPF: no | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, oil-free, non-comedogenic
Best Vegan BB Cream For Combination Skin
For combination skin, we love the Purlisse Radiant Glow vegan BB cream. It has the most balanced and even coverage. It gives plenty of hydration for dry areas without making the oilier T-zone shiny. It blends well with your skin tone and doesn’t cake.
- What we like: luminous finish, natural and sheer
- What we don’t like: weird scent
- What other reviewers say: gives a subtle makeup look, shades are perfect for summer, blends well, feels weightless
Key ingredients: hawthorn berry, jasmine, light-reflecting pigments| Coverage: light | Finish: radiant| SPF: 30 | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, oil-free, paraben-free, sulfate-free, mineral oil-free, phthalate-free
Best Vegan BB Cream For Acne-Prone Skin
This oil-free vegan BB cream from Tarte is ideal for acne-prone skin. It doesn’t clog pores or cause breakouts, instead, it helps dry out blemishes with a clay-based formula. This vegan BB cream provides enough coverage for acne and redness while still letting the skin breathe.
- What we like: skin looks even and balanced
- What we don’t like: not enough coverage
- What other reviewers say: safe for sensitive skin, doesn’t cause breakouts, not overly hydrating, not drying, blends nicely
Key ingredients: Amazonian clay, vitamins E, A, C, chamomile, mineral pigments| Coverage: light, buildable | Finish: natural | SPF: 20 | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, dermatologist-tested, paraben-free, sulfate-free, gluten-free, mineral oil-free
Best Vegan BB Cream For Mature Skin
The best vegan BB cream for mature skin comes from Purlisse. This bestselling vegan beauty balm is made with an anti-aging powerhouse of bakuchiol, algae collagen, and vitamin C to firm and hydrate aging skin while the skin tint provides a gorgeous radiant coverage.
- What we like: gives a fresh and hydrated glow and brightens skin tone
- What we don’t like: thick consistency, can cake
- What other reviewers say: flawless coverage, conceals redness and dark circles, easy to blend, matches skin tone well
Key ingredients: bakuchiol, algae collagen, vitamin C | Coverage: medium to full | Finish: dewy | SPF: 40 | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, paraben-free, sulfate-free, mineral oil-free, phthalate-free
Best Vegan BB Cream For Sensitive Skin
This certified organic vegan BB cream is perfect for sensitive skin. It’s made with 100% natural ingredients including jojoba oil and avocado oil. It’s gentle on the skin, tested for safety and purity, and free of all harsh chemicals such as fragrances, silicones, parabens, and sulfates.
- What we like: skin looks plump and healthy, soft and velvety finish
- What we don’t like: not long-wearing, can transfer
- What other reviewers say: melts into the skin well, has a great creamy texture, safe for sensitive skin, conditions, and hydrates the skin
Key ingredients: prickly pear, jojoba oil, pomegranate seed oil, avocado oil | Coverage: light to medium| Finish: natural radiant| SPF: no | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, certified organic, natural, clean, sustainable aluminum packaging
Best Vegan BB Cream For Men
British male cosmetics brand Mmuk Man has made the best vegan BB cream for men. It has a natural matte finish and a brightening effect on the skin. It also gives enough daily hydration to the skin and blocks outside environmental damage.
- What we like: conceals and covers well while looking natural
- What we don’t like: it’s expensive
- What other reviewers say: great coverage, looks natural, long-wearing, skin is hydrated, shades are easy to match man’s skin
Key ingredients: brightening enzymes and molecules, botanicals| Coverage: medium | Finish: natural matte| SPF: no | Features: vegan, cruelty-free
Best Vegan BB Cream For Hair
Looking for a vegan BB cream for your hair? This vegan BB hair cream hydrates and strengthens the hair, it also controls frizz, boosts shine, and improves manageability. It’s an all-in-one leave-in conditioner cream. This one is also paraben-free and safe for colored hair.
- What we like: hair looks shiny and silky smooth
- What we don’t like: thin liquid
- What other reviewers say: hair is softer and more manageable, no frizz, good heat protection for blowdrying
Key ingredients: quinoa | SPF: no | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, color-safe, paraben-free
Best Vegan BB Cream Brands
Here are the best brands that carry a selection of vegan BB creams.
Tarte is one of the top cosmetic brands in the USA. They have a great selection of vegan face makeup such as foundations, concealers, and BB creams.
Tarte is cruelty-free but some of its products do contain animal-derived ingredients. All three BB creams Tarte carries are vegan.
Covergirl offers affordable cosmetics for every skin type and color. In 2018, CG became the largest Leaping Bunny-certified makeup company.
Although some Covergirl products include animal-derived ingredients, their two highly recommended BB creams are both vegan.
Andalou Naturals is 98% natural, non-GMO, gluten-free, and cruelty-free. Its products are mostly vegan, but there might be some products still that might contain animal-derived ingredients.
The BB creams the American brand offers are vegan-friendly. They offer two excellent vegan BB creams: Perfecting BB Cream and Vitamin C BB Cream.
Purlisse is a beauty brand that fuses Asian beauty traditions with modern philosophy. Formulated with sensitive skin in mind, Purlisse is also 100% vegan and cruelty-free.
Currently, Purlisse offers 3 wonderful vegan BB creams for every skin type: Perfect Glow, Ageless Glow, and Radiant Glow.
What Makes A BB Cream Vegan?
Vegan BB creams are free from animal-derived ingredients such as beeswax. Vegan BB creams are also not tested on animals or contain any ingredients tested on animals.
The typical ingredients that make a BB cream not vegan are beeswax as well as animal-based squalane, lanolin, glycerin, and stearic acid.
- Beewax – wax produced by honeybees
- Squalane – emollient from shark liver oil (can be also vegan)
- Lanolin – wool grease or wool wax, derived from sheep
- Glycerin – emollient from cow or pig fat (can be also vegan)
- Stearic acid – emollient from the cattle stomachs (can be also vegan)
Instead, vegan BB creams are made with non-animal emollients like plant-derived glycerin, shea butter, jojoba oil, and sugarcane-derived squalane.
More and more often, BB cream producers replace real beeswax with synthetic beeswax.
What To Look For In A Vegan BB Cream?
The first thing is to make sure your vegan BB cream matches your skin tone. BB creams are almost like foundations, so choosing the wrong shade can look ridiculous.
Secondly, choose a vegan BB cream that is made for your skin type. Dry skin should opt for a hydrating vegan BB cream, oily skin should choose an oil-free cream that mattifies the skin.
If you have sensitive skin, pick a vegan BB cream free of harsh chemicals, fragrances, and major allergens. There are a lot of gentle and organic vegan BB creams to choose from.
What’s The Difference Between Vegan BB Cream, CC Cream, DD Cream, And Tinted Moisturizer?
While the terms BB cream, CC cream, DD cream, and tinted moisturizer are often used interchangeably, there are still some notable differences between the product type. As a common denominator, all four are lighter than vegan foundations.
Overall, it can be said that BB cream, CC cream, and DD cream belong to the same BB cream product family, and tinted moisturizer is slightly skewed more towards skincare than makeup.
- BB cream is a beauty balm or blemish balm. It’s a mix between a foundation and daily face cream but is lighter than the foundation and heavier than a regular face cream.
- CC cream means color correction. When BB cream provides mainly coverage, CC cream is intended to even out the skin tone and cancel redness. CC cream is also lighter and has usually a liquid formula.
- DD cream stands for daily defense and it is a hybrid of BB and CC cream. It covers skin imperfections and evens out the complexion. DD creams can be used for the whole body. DD creams usually have SPF.
- Tinted moisturizer is above all a moisturizer with an added tint to blur imperfections. Lighter and providing less coverage than a BB cream, tinted moisturizers also make for excellent primers.
These definitions are not always the rules though. There is a lot of overlap between the four categories and often BB creams and CC creams are labeled as tinted moisturizers.
To make sure you are choosing the right amount of coverage and moisture for your skin, always read the product description closer and do not only trust the product names.
How We Review Vegan BB Creams
At Vegan Avenue, we review vegan BB creams through our personal experience with the products. These are the things we pay the most attention to in vegan BB creams.
- Ingredients: Vegan BB creams should ideally use natural and gentle ingredients without too many artificial additives and chemicals.
- Coverage: Vegan BB cream should provide enough coverage to hide pores and imperfections. Even light coverage should be able to show visible changes in skin tone.
- Finish: Vegan BB creams should not have an artificial-looking finish. The shades should be easy to blend with your skin tone and not look greasy or off-color.
- Texture: While vegan BB creams are often quite thick, they should be still easy to apply and smooth on the skin. The texture is very important for BB creams.
- Price: Vegan BB cream should not be a luxury product. We always make sure our list also includes affordable drugstore options that are accessible to everyone.
Why Trust Us
We have been doing extensive research and product trials in compiling the list of the best vegan BB creams. None of our reviews at Vegan Avenue have been incentivized by the brand or retailer. We are fully independent in choosing the products we review.
FAQ About Vegan BB Creams
Not always. BB cream is vegan only if it’s free from animal-derived ingredients. Also, vegan BB creams cannot be tested on animals.
The typical ingredients that make a BB cream not vegan are animal-derived squalene, lanolin, glycerin, stearic acid, and beeswax.
The best vegan BB cream is the Tarte BB Blur Tinted Moisturizer SPF 30.
You can find the largest variety of vegan BB creams online, especially on Amazon, Ulta, and Sephora. When buying a vegan BB cream from drugstores, always look for a certified vegan label or a clear vegan marking.
No. Garnier BB cream is not vegan, it may contain animal-derived ingredients. The company has not made any vegan claims about its BB creams or specified the ingredient origins.
No. L’Oreal BB cream is not vegan since the company tests on animals.
It is unclear whether Erborian BB creams can be considered vegan. The company is cruelty-free but has not made any concrete vegan claims for its products. The company also has admitted to using animal-derived ingredients.
BB creams are becoming an integral part of everyday makeup routines and it is good to know that we can do our daily beauty balming in a vegan and cruelty-free way.
Hope you enjoyed our list of the best vegan BB creams. Once we find new vegan BB creams we like, we will update this list accordingly.
See also: Vegan CC Creams
Main image: courtesy of Tarte