Face masks are such a treat. A mask gives your skin a super dose of nutrients and a relaxing spa experience in the comfort of your home.
While drugstore face masks often contain honey or collagen, you can also find a wide variety of vegan face masks made solely from plant-based ingredients.
We have selected our favorite vegan face masks for the ultimate pamper. From Summer Fridays to Youth To The People – find the best cruelty-free vegan face masks for your skin.
Vegan Face Masks By Concern
Vegan Face Masks By Type
Vegan Face Mask Brands
Best Vegan Face Masks 2022
Here are the best vegan face masks for 2022:
- Best Overall: Youth To The People Superberry Hydrate + Glow Dream Mask
- Best Runner-Up: Klairs Freshly Juiced Vitamin E Mask
- Best Exfoliating: Alpyn Wild Huckleberry 8-Acid Polishing Peel Mask
- Best Affordable: Bella & Bear Hello Glow Face Mask
- Best Organic: Honest Beauty Prime + Perfect Mask
- Best Anti-Aging: Saturday Skin Yuzu Vitamin C Sleep Mask
- Best For Dry Skin: Summer Fridays Jet Lag Mask
- Best For Oily Skin: The Body Shop Himalayan Charcoal Purifying Glow Mask
- Best For Combination Skin: Biossance Squalane + Glycolic Renewal Mask
- Best For Sensitive Skin: Purito Dermide Cica Barrier Sleeping Pack
- Best For Acne-Prone Skin: Plantifique Superfood Marine Clay Mask
- Best For Men: Boscia Luminizing Charcoal Mask
Best Vegan Face Mask Overall
Our favorite vegan face mask gives the best glow and hydration. It combines lots of vegan vitamins and hydrators such as vegan squalane, hyaluronic acid, vitamin C, and berry extracts. We love how smooth it glides on and the skin feels fresh and youthful in the morning.
This rich and buttery vegan overnight mask fits all skin types, including sensitive skin. But it can be a bit too nourishing for oily and acne-prone skin. If you are worried about clogged pores, rather go for the brand’s Superclay Purify + Clear Power Mask.
- What we like: great mask for hydration and glow, buttery texture
- What we don’t like: can be too nourishing for oily skin, contains fragrance
- What reviews say: leaves the skin very soft and hydrated, smells amazing
Key ingredients: maqui, acai, prickly pear, goji berry, sunflower, moringa, squalane | Main benefits: hydrating, plumping, brightening | Features: vegan, recyclable packaging, gluten-free, made in the USA
Best Vegan Face Mask Runner-Up
Our runner-up is this beautiful vitamin E vegan sleeping mask. Vitamin E is one of the best vitamins to heal and protect skin cells. With added niacinamide and adenosine, this vegan mask both hydrates and softens the skin. We love the rich texture and citrusy scent.
This vegan mask also helps vitamin C products work better. By combining the mask with a vegan vitamin C serum, you will see much brighter and healthier skin over time. The mask is also deemed safe for sensitive skin but we still recommend a batch test.
- What we like: it helps skin retain moisture, smells great, natural ingredients
- What we don’t like: it can clog pores for oily skin
- What reviews say: really hydrating mask during the night, brightens and calms the skin
Key ingredients: vitamin E, niacinamide | Main benefits: boosting, moisturizing, brightening | Features: vegan, fragrance-free, water-based, artificial colors-free, alcohol-free
Best Exfoliating Vegan Face Mask
This natural vegan exfoliating mask includes 8 different natural acids along with bamboo powder to melt away dead skin cells. It also brightens the skin with vitamin C. It’s such a good vegan facial to reset your skin.
The mask evens the skin’s texture, blurs pores, and makes your skin overall smoother. Plus, it looks delicious like a berry sorbet. While non-abrasive, we would be careful with acid masks if you have sensitive skin.
- What we like: great smell and texture, makes the skin really smooth
- What we don’t like: can irritate sensitive skin
- What reviews say: skin looks much smoother and brighter, helps to clear out pores
Key ingredients: Jackson Hole wild huckleberry, natural 8-acid complex, bamboo powder, berry seeds | Main benefits: brightening, exfoliating, protecting | Features: vegan, artificial colors-free, fragrance-free, gluten-free, mineral oil-free, made in the USA
Best Organic Vegan Face Mask
Honest Beauty has made a wonderful organic vegan face mask with shea butter, vitamin E, and antioxidant-rich blackcurrant extract. The mask both hydrates and firms the skin. Doubling as a primer, it makes your skin so smooth, even, and well-hydrated.
- What we like: rich in antioxidants, ultra-nourishing
- What we don’t like: contains fragrance
- What reviews say: moisturizes even very dry skin, skin feels more refreshed and soft, helps with fine lines
Key ingredients: black currant extract, ice wine, vitamin E, superfruits, shea butter | Main benefits: firming, nourishing, moisturizing | Features: vegan, artificial fragrances-free
Best Affordable Vegan Face Mask
If you are looking for an affordable vegan face mask, our pick is Hello Glow. This great-smelling vegan mask combines purifying Kaolin clay with nourishing cocoa seed and shea butter. The clay detoxifies the skin and tightens pores while the rich plant oils replenish the skin.
- What we like: purifies and hydrates the skin, it’s affordable, fits all skin types, uses natural ingredients
- What we don’t like: has too much yellow pigment, contains fragrance
- What reviews say: great price value, smooths and softens the skin, helps with pores
Key ingredients: kaolin, cocoa, shea | Main benefits: brightening, rejuvenating, softening | Features: vegan, gluten-free
Best Anti-Aging Vegan Face Mask
Korean brand Saturday Skin has made the best anti-aging vegan face mask. This overnight vegan mask pairs vitamin C from yuzu seed oil with retinol and niacinamide for a great collagen-boosting and line-reducing experience.
We love how it brightens the skin tone and adds radiance. While the mask does not perform miracles for deep wrinkles, boosts the overall youthfulness and plumpness of your skin significantly. The mask is also free of parabens, sulfates, and synthetic fragrances.
- What we like: skin is visibly brighter and firmer after use, fresh smell
- What we don’t like: does not smooth out deep wrinkles
- What reviews say: very hydrating, skin feels moisturized and softer
Key ingredients: yuzu, niacinamide, retinol | Main benefits: soothing, hydrating, smoothing | Features: vegan, dermatologist tested, synthetic fragrance-free, synthetic colors-free
Best Vegan Face Mask For Dry Skin
This bestselling vegan face mask is perfect for dry skin. The fragrance-free mask combines all the top hydrators: vegan hyaluronic acid, glycerin, ceramides, and niacinamide. The mask gives deep hydration while repairing the skin barrier and preventing moisture loss.
- What we like: it restores moisture levels for dry skin
- What we don’t like: can irritate some sensitive skin types
- What reviews say: suits different skin types, refreshes dull and tired skin, moisturizes
Key ingredients: niacinamide, glycerin, hyaluronic acid, antioxidants | Main benefits: nourishing, hydrating, calming | Features: vegan, fragrance-free, non-comedogenic
Best Vegan Face Mask For Oily Skin
For oily skin, nothing beats the Himalayan Charcoal vegan face mask. The vegan charcoal mud mask deeply cleanses the skin from buildup and toxins. It also includes green tea leaves and tea tree oil to reduce blemishes and acne. Oily skin feels balanced, clear, and fresh.
- What we like: best purifying vegan mask, refreshing feel
- What we don’t like: can be too drying for dry skin, contains fragrance
- What reviews say: purifies deeply, skin feels more soft and clean
Key ingredients: green tea leaves, tea tree oil | Main benefits: purifying, exfoliating, softening | Features: vegan, silicone-free, mineral oil-free, dermatologically tested
Best Vegan Face Mask For Combination Skin
Combination skin needs a mask to hydrate dry areas while purifying the oily T-zone. This vegan face mask from Biossance does both. This mask gently exfoliates the skin and blurs pores with AHAs and mineral spheres. Vegan squalane and hyaluronic acid provide superb hydration.
- What we like: makes combo skin smooth and hydrated, natural & clean ingredients
- What we don’t like: can irritate sensitive skin
- What reviews say: skin feels very refreshed and clean, the overall complexion looks more glowy
Key ingredients: glycolic, lactic, tartaric, and malic acids (AHAs), fine mineral spheres, licorice root | Main benefits: brightening, smoothing, softening | Features: vegan, synthetic fragrance-free, made in the USA
Best Vegan Face Mask For Sensitive Skin
Nothing repairs and protects sensitive skin like this vegan overnight ceramide mask from Purito. Made with vegan ceramides, squalane, and Centella Asiatica, the mask soothes the skin, reduces inflammation, hydrates, and repairs the skin barrier.
- What we like: repairs and calms the skin, doubles as a night cream
- What we don’t like: too nourishing for oily and sensitive skin
- What reviews say: very soothing, helps to repair the damaged skin barrier, rosacea-friendly
Key ingredients: Centella Asiatica, squalane, ceramide NP | Main benefits: soothing, strengthening, healing | Features: vegan, fragrance-free, essential oil-free, silicone-free
Best Vegan Face Mask For Acne-Prone Skin
The Superfood Marine Clay Mask is the best relief for acne and blemishes. The vegan mud mask both clarifies and hydrates acne-prone skin. This natural vegan face mask is like a good smoothie with avocado, blueberry, tea tree, spinach, and other vitamin-rich plants.
- What we like: reduces and prevents acne, easy to apply with the little brush
- What we don’t like: difficult to wash off
- What reviews say: it is very nourishing and makes the skin softer, helps with acne
Key ingredients: avocado, aloe vera, spirulina, spinach | Main benefits: hydrating, moisturizing, detoxifying | Features: vegan, dermatologically tested, GMO-free, alcohol-free, fragrance-free, essential oil-free
Best Vegan Face Mask For Men
This peel-off vegan charcoal mask is perfect for men. It purifies pores, removes blackheads, and boosts the skin’s overall health with vitamin C. Made with both clay and charcoal, it is a great mask for men with normal, oily, combination, and congested skin.
- What we like: removes blackheads well, gives a clean feel
- What we don’t like: can be too drying for dehydrated skin
- What reviews say: very soothing, helps with blackheads, works for different skin types
Key ingredients: activated charcoal, calcium montmorillonite clay, vitamin V, signature botanical blend | Main benefits: detoxifying, exfoliating, brightening | Features: vegan, fragrance-free, gluten-free, artificial color-free, made in the USA
Best Vegan Face Masks By Concern
- Best For Eczema: First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Instant Oatmeal Mask
- Best For Rosacea: First Aid Beauty Arnica Relief & Rescue Mask
- Best For Dark Spots: Bliss Pumpkin Powerhouse Enzyme Face Mask
- Best For Pores: Olehenriksen Cold Plunge Pore Mask
- Best For Blemishes: Dermalogica Sebum Clearing Mask
- Best For Scars: Derma E Overnight Peel With AHAs
- Best For Wrinkles: Sweet Chef Beet + Retinol Nightly Firming Mask
- Best For Dullness: Acure Brightening Face Mask
- Best For Uneven Texture: Peach & Lily Super Reboot Resurfacing Mask
Best Vegan Face Masks By Type
There are many different vegan face mask types to choose from. Here are our favorite vegan sleeping masks, sheet masks, lip masks, and more.
- Vegan Sleeping Mask: Glow Recipe Watermelon Sleeping Mask
- Vegan AHA Mask: Drunk Elephant T.L.C. Sukari Babyfacial
- Vegan Clay Mask: Plantifique Superfood Marine Clay Mask
- Vegan Charcoal Mask: Boscia Luminizing Charcoal Mask
- Vegan Powder Mask: Juice Beauty Revitalizing Acacia + Rose Powder Mask
- Vegan Peel-Off Mask: Aprilskin Calendula Peel Off Mask
- Vegan Sheet Mask: Pacifica Stress Rehab Coconut & Caffeine Mask
- Vegan Eye Mask: Grace & Stella Anti-Wrinkle & Energizing Eye Mask
- Vegan Lip Mask: Sweet Chef Sugarcane + Vitamin E Lip Sleeping Mask
- Vegan DIY Mask: Aztec Secret Vegan Bentonite Clay Mask
Best Vegan Face Mask Brands
Here are some brands that offer a wide variety of good-quality vegan face masks.
- Summer Fridays – Founded by beauty influencers Marianna Hewitt and Lauren Gores, Summer Fridays is a vegan skincare brand known for its face masks. The brand has currently 3 bestselling vegan masks on Sephora to revive dry, tired, or irritated skin.
- Pacifica Beauty – Pacifica is another vegan brand with a great collection of affordable vegan face masks. They use natural ingredients like kale, coconut, rose, CBD, and pineapple. All masks are free of parabens, phthalates, SLS, and mineral oil.
- The Body Shop – The Body Shop is a vegetarian brand that offers some of the most beloved vegan face masks. Out of 21 masks, 14 are currently vegan. From purifying vegan clay face masks to hydrating vegan sheet masks – they have the mask for every skin type. Their Himalayan Charcoal vegan mask is our all-time favorite.
- Acure – Acure makes brightening, rejuvenating, soothing, and clarifying vegan face masks from organic and natural vegan ingredients. Everything from Acure is clean and vegan. Acure masks are also affordably priced and made in the USA.
- Truly – Truly is a vegan brand on Ulta with many different vegan masks for the face, body, and hair. The brand uses plant-based ingredients like hemp, CBD, and vegan collagen. The masks look fun and have very positive reviews.
What Makes A Face Mask Vegan
A vegan face mask does not include any ingredients obtained from animals. Vegan face masks are also cruelty-free, meaning they are not tested on animals.
The most typical ingredients that make a face mask not vegan are beeswax, honey, lanolin (cholesterol), collagen as well as animal-derived glycerin, and squalane.
In face masks, you should also be careful with charcoal. While charcoal is usually vegan-friendly, it can also be derived from burnt animal bones.
Instead of animal emollients, vegan face masks use plant oils, waxes, and emollients such as sugarcane-derived squalane, vegetable glycerin, shea butter, and carnauba wax.
The plant world is also rich in proteins. Vegan face masks use baobab, barley quat, and vegan collagen along with plant-based amino acids and antioxidants.
To make extra sure you are buying a vegan face mask, we suggest you look for a vegan marking or an officially certified vegan label on the packaging.
What To Look For In Vegan Face Masks
Our skin can absorb up to 60 percent of everything we put on it. That is why it is important to choose a vegan face mask that is as clean and chemical-free as possible.
The right vegan face mask should also fit your skin type. Dry skin should go for a hydrating vegan face mask free of drying alcohol, fragrance, and essential oils.
For oily skin, purifying vegan charcoal and clay masks are best. Combination skin should find a balancing vegan face mask that clarifies and hydrates at the same time.
Brightening vegan face masks with vitamin C and exfoliating acids are great for most skin types, especially for dry, tired, dull, and congested skin.
Acne, eczema, rosacea, and sensitive skin should use natural or hypoallergenic vegan face masks. Try to avoid heavy oils, alcohol, fragrance, and harsh preservatives.
How We Review Vegan Face Masks
The choice of vegan face masks is endless. To find the best masks, we have come up with criteria to rate the masks from best to worst.
- Mask Type: Vegan face masks can be judged by their type. Overall, we have found that vegan cream masks and vegan clay masks work significantly better than vegan sheet masks. We also like vegan sleeping masks. Thus, we evaluate the mask’s type and texture first.
- Ingredients: A good vegan face mask can work its magic solely with natural ingredients. We prefer vegan face masks that are free of chemicals and potential irritants such as silicones, parabens, or perfume.
- Results: Vegan masks should always do what they promised. Whether it’s purifying, nourishing, exfoliating, firming, or calming – we expect to see some difference in the before-and-after photos.
Why Trust Us
Finding high-quality vegan skincare is what we do best at Vegan Avenue. Our team members try at least one new vegan face mask a month and log our personal experiences. We review both the immediacy effects as well as skin improvements over time.
As the experience of vegan face masks differs greatly, we also read hundred of online reviews on Ulta, Amazon, Sephora, and other beauty retailers. Only by coupling our own experience with other reviewers can we achieve the most objective rating.
FAQ About Vegan Face Masks
A vegan face mask is free of all animal ingredients such as beeswax, honey, lanolin, or collagen. Vegan face masks cannot also be tested on animals.
The best vegan face mask is Superberry Hydrate + Glow Dream Mask from Youth To The People. Made with vitamin C, hyaluronic acid, and vegan squalane, the mask hydrates the skin and adds a beautiful glow.
The best selection of vegan face masks is available on Amazon, Sephora, and Ulta.
Our favorite vegan DIY mask is made with bentonite clay and water.
No. Avocado Melt Overnight Face Mask is not vegan and contains honey. It is currently the only non-vegan product from Glow Recipe.
No. Peter Thomas Roth masks cannot be considered vegan because the company tests on animals.
Yes. Kylie Skin is a fully vegan brand, so their Hydrating Face mask is also vegan.
No. Laneige is a company that tests on animals.
Using a vegan face mask regularly is a good way to ensure healthy and glowing skin. Just make sure your vegan face mask matches your skin type.
Oily and acne-prone skin types should go for purifying vegan clay and charcoal masks. Dry and dehydrated skin will benefit most from hydrating and vitamin C masks.
If you are in the process of looking for your favorite vegan face mask, we recommend checking the collections of Summer Fridays, Pacifica, Acure, Truly, and The Body Shop.
As new vegan face masks enter the market with the speed of light, we are happy to walk you through this world and introduce you to new quality products. Stay tuned!
See also: Vegan Exfoliators
Updated on August 2 (2022): We created two more categories: vegan face masks for different skin concerns and different types of vegan face masks. We also changed the top face mask for sensitive skin from Sukin Pink Clay Mask to Purito Dermide Cica Barrier Sleeping Pack. For dry skin, we chose Summer Fridays Jet Lag Mask instead of the previous Pai Resurrection Girl Mask.