We could not agree more with the saying that glycerin needs hyaluronic acid‘s publicist.
Glycerin is one of the best skincare ingredients to hydrate the skin, soothe the skin and improve the skin’s barrier functions (1). Glycerin can also help calm rosacea, eczema, acne-prone skin and atopic dermatitis.
Terms glycerol and glycerine are often used interchangeably. However, glycerol refers to the pure compound whereas glycerine refers to commercial grades.
Glycerin can be found in almost every skincare product but it’s hardly ever a star ingredient. Since glycerin can be also vegan, we have listed the best vegan glycerin skincare for 2023.
PS all products below are vegan and cruelty-free, meaning they are free of animal-derived ingredients and have not been tested on animals. 💚
Best Vegan Glycerin Skincare
See the best vegan glycerin skincare for 2023. Hydrate your skin with these simple yet effective cruelty-free vegan glycerin skincare products.
- Vanicream Daily Facial Moisturizer
- Glysolid Glycerin Skin Cream
- Now Solutions Vegetable Glycerin
- Paula’s Choice Water-Infusing Electrolyte Moisturizer
- Doctor Rogers Restore Restore Healing Balm
Best Vegan Glycerin Moisturizers
These are the best vegan glycerin face creams on the market.
Vanicream is a 100% vegan company that offers the best vegan glycerin moisturizer. The cream is great at moisturizing the skin and restoring the skin barrier. Packed with glycerin, hyaluronic acid, ceramides, and squalane, it’s a great moisturizer for all skin types, including sensitive skin.
- What we like: works great with makeup, restores the skin barrier
- What we don’t like: not moisturizing enough for very dry skin
- What reviews say: works great for different skin types, does not clog up pores, hypoallergenic
Key ingredients: vegan glycerin, ceramides, hyaluronic acid, squalane | Main benefits: moisturizing, softening | Features: vegan, fragrance-free, color-free, gluten-free, non-comedogenic, made in the USA
Glysolid Glycerin Skin Cream is an affordable vegan glycerin face cream that fits well for sensitive and normal skin types. You can use the cream over the body to make the skin softer. We also love the glycerin and allantoin combination which smoothes the skin texture.
- What we like: softens the skin, very moisturizing
- What we don’t like: can be a little sticky at first
- What reviews say: great price value, can be used all over the body, non-irritating
Key ingredients: vegan glycerin, allantoin | Main benefits: softening, smoothening, calming | Features: vegan, artificial fragrance-free, mineral oil-free, artificial color-free, made in Germany
If your skin is very cracked or dry, we also recommend this pure vegetable glycerin. It really softens and hydrates even the roughest skin. Free of harsh chemicals and fragrances, sensitive skin types can enjoy this simple vegan moisturizer as well.
- What we like: can be used for multipurpose, makes the skin soft
- What we don’t like: can be irritating to very sensitive skin
- What reviews say: great price value, can be used daily, smoothes the skin texture
Key ingredients: vegan glycerin | Main benefits: softening, moisturizing | Features: vegan, fragrance-free, gluten-free
Paula’s Choice Water-Infusing Electrolyte Moisturizer is the perfect everyday vegan glycerin cream to use AM and PM. Containing calcium and ceramides, it makes the skin softer while brightening skin tone. The cream is also fragrance-free and suitable for acne-prone skin.
- What we like: leaves a healthy glow on the skin, fast absorbing lightweight texture
- What we don’t like: can not be hydrating enough for dry skin
- What reviews say: reduces acne scars, plumps the skin, keeps the moisture for the whole day
Key ingredients: vegan glycerin, calcium/magnesium/potassium PCA, peptides, ceramides, prebiotic sugars | Main benefits: hydrating, softening, brightening | Features: vegan, fragrance-free, oil-free, gluten-free, made in the USA
This glycerin-packed vegan healing balm is perfect to help with dry and chapped lips and skin. It’s quite expensive but it moisturizes the skin well making your face feel very soft and calm. We also value this balm because it helps relieve eczema and does not irritate sensitive skin.
- What we like: works great for all skin types, treats eczema
- What we don’t like: it’s expensive
- What reviews say: heals the cracked and dry skin, deep moisturizing, can be used multipurpose
Key ingredients: vegan glycerin, castor oil, castor oil | Main benefits: healing, hydrating, soothing | Features: vegan, gluten-free, petroleum-free, artificial fragrance-free, made in the USA
This vegan glycerin moisturizer is not just affordable but also very hydrating. This cream is suitable for all skin types, including sensitive and acne-prone skin. It is free of fragrance and common allergens. It’s one of the best-selling vegan moisturizers.
- What we like: deep hydrating, works great with makeup
- What we don’t like: takes time to absorb
- What reviews say: works great for different skin types, great price value, plumps the skin
Key ingredients: vegan glycerin, hyaluronic acid, arginine, sodium PCA, minerals| Main benefits: hydrating | Features: vegan, fragrance-free, alcohol-free, oil-free, silicone-free, nut-free, gluten-free, made in Canada
Other Vegan Glycerin Skincare Products
Here are some other vegan glycerin skincare products we like. Shop vegan glycerin serums, cleansers, toners, and more.
- Vegan Glycerin Serum: Byoma Hydrating Serum
- Vegan Glycerin Cleanser: First Aid Beauty Pure Skin Face Cleanser
- Vegan Glycerin Toner: Heritage Rosewater & Glycerin Hydrating Mist
- Vegan Glycerin Eye Cream: Mario Badescu Hyaluronic Eye Cream
- Vegan Glycerin Face Mask: Kylie Skin Hydrating Face Mask
- Vegan Glycerin Face Oil: Now Solutions Organic Glycerin Oil
- Vegan Glycerin Sunscreen: Vanicream Facial Moisturizer with SPF 30
- Vegan Glycerin Hand Cream: Fenty Skin Hydra’Reset Intensive Recovery Hand Mask
- Vegan Glycerin Body Lotion: Camille Beckman Glycerine Rosewater Body Cream
Is Glycerin Vegan?
Glycerin in skincare can be both vegan and animal-based. Vegan glycerin is derived from vegetable fats while animal glycerin is made from animal fats, typically cattle waste.
While animal glycerin is cheaper, vegan glycerin is getting more and more popular. Many famous brands are now replacing non-vegan glycerin with plant-based alternatives.
Vegan glycerin can be called by different names, such as glycerol, glycerine, or vegetable glycerin. Usually, it is made of vegetable fats and most commonly, they are soybean oils, coconut oils, or palm oils.
To make sure your glycerin skincare s vegan-friendly, always opt for products with a vegan label or official vegan certification. That’s the only way to ensure your glycerin skincare is animal-free and cruelty-free.
What To Look For In Vegan Glycerin Skincare?
When choosing the right vegan glycerin skincare for your skin, it is important to first inspect what other ingredients are included in the glycerin formulas.
If you are looking for a true moisture boost, pair glycerin with some other humectants like hyaluronic acid or urea. Glycerin also works well with ceramides to keep your skin plump and repair and protect the skin’s top layer.
When you have sensitive skin, make sure your vegan glycerin skincare is hypoallergenic and fragrance-free. You might also want to avoid additives like sulfates or parabens and more common allergy triggers such as nuts, gluten, or soy.
Glycerin is safe to use for oily and acne-prone skin. Just make sure your vegan glycerin skincare is not rich in rich plant oils such as coconut oil or shea butter. You might also want to avoid vitamin E as it ranks quite high on the comedogenic scale.
FAQ About Vegan Glycerin Skincare
Glycerin can be vegan or derived from animal fats.
The best vegan glycerin moisturizer is the Vanicream Daily Facial Moisturizer.
You will find the best selection of vegan glycerin skincare online, especially on Amazon, Ulta, and Sephora.
No. The cream includes lanolin from sheep’s wool.
Glycerin is such an underrated skincare ingredient since it’s so widely available. But we appreciate vegan glycerin skincare and hope you do as well.
Our favorite vegan glycerin skincare is made by Vanicream and Glysolid – affordable skincare brands that have a wide vegan selection and that do not test their products on animals.
If we happen to find more vegan glycerin skincare products we like, we are sure to add them to this article. Thanks for choosing vegan skincare.
Update on May 04 (2023): Fact checked and medically reviewed by MD Shimona Garg
Update on February 19 (2023): Added more references