Disclaimer: You should consult a licensed health care professional before taking supplements. Vegan dietary supplements are not a substitute for a wholesome vegan diet. These products are not intended to treat, cure, or prevent any diseases.
A balanced diet is crucial to provide the body with all the important micronutrients and minerals that ensure the growth of healthy and strong hair.
So if you are dealing with hair thinning and hair loss, there may be a number of vitamins and minerals that your body lacks.
To help your hair grow thicker and stronger, here are the best vegan hair vitamins for 2023.
Which Vitamins Are Important For Hair Growth?
The most important vitamins and minerals for hair growth are biotin, zinc, copper, selenium, iron, folic acid, and vitamins A, D, E, and C.
- Biotin aka vitamin H or B7 is the essential hair and skin vitamin. Biotin supports the formation of creatine which is the basic substance of hair and structural protein in skin and nails.
- Zinc is an important antioxidant that contributes to the maintenance of hair, nails, and skin by supporting protein synthesis, collagen formation, and cell growth.
- Vitamin E has the ability to strengthen the immune system. It is useful for improving the condition of hair and skin and is therefore often used in cosmetic products.
- Vitamin D strengthens the immune system, affects muscle health, heart rate, nervous system, and blood pressure. It also plays an important role in creating new hair follicles.
- Copper is an important trace element for energy metabolism and nervous system. It also contributes to hair pigmentation and supports the preservation of natural hair color.
- Selenium helps to protect cells from oxidative stress and contributes to the maintenance of healthy and strong hair and nails.
- Iron is responsible for transporting oxygen and supporting growth processes. Also, iron is part of many enzymes, participates in energy production and the work of the immune system.
- Vitamin A has many different functions, including the body’s growth and development, healthy bones, healthy hair follicles, maintaining the immune system, and good eyesight.
- Vitamin C protects cells and promotes hair growth through its blood circulation-increasing effect. Also, vitamin C helps iron to absorb, which is also important for healthy hair.
- Folic acid, also known as vitamin B9, plays an important role in the body’s growth process and the construction of new cells.
Which Vitamin Deficiency Can Cause Hair Loss For Vegans?
Vegan or not – if you are experiencing hair loss, you should consult your doctor first. There are many possible causes for hair loss and vitamin deficiency is just one of them.
If your hair loss is caused by a vitamin deficiency, common vitamins and minerals you might be lacking include biotin, zinc, vitamin D, or vitamin E.
- Biotin is an important vitamin to protect your hair, maintain hair shine and prevent split ends and inflammation at the roots. Good vegan sources for biotin are nuts, oats, cereal, mushrooms, tempeh, tahini, nutritional yeast, seeds, and avocados.
- Zinc protects the cells of our body from oxidative stress and free radicals. The mineral is also required for the formation of keratin and collagen which are essential for hair growth. Good vegan sources for zinc are whole grains, tofu, tempeh, legumes, nuts, and seeds.
- Vitamin D deficiency can cause stress and illnesses and be related to hair loss as well. Since humans today do not spend enough time in the sun, both vegans and non-vegans are recommended to take 15 mcg of vitamin D per day as a supplement.
- Vitamin E is one of the main immune system-strengthening vitamins that can improve the condition of the skin and hair. Good vegan sources of vitamin E are vegetable oils, nuts, seeds, leafy greens and fortified cereals.
As a vegan, it is also important to take a B12 supplement both for your overall health and (indirectly) hair health. It is the only vitamin that you cannot get from plant-based food.
It is worth noting that vitamin deficiency may not be the cause of hair loss for men. Often the root of the problem lies in genes, e.g. male pattern boldness.
This is why many hair supplements are made and advertised for women, as the products cannot promise satisfying results for men.
What To Look For In Vegan Hair Vitamins?
First of all, a reliable vegan hair supplement must have biotin. It is the most important vitamin when we talk about healthy and strong hair.
Experienced vitamin manufacturers also know that other essential vitamins for hair growth also include zinc and vitamins E and D.
If the vegan hair supplement has iron, make sure it also contains vitamin C. The latter helps the iron absorb.
The best kinds of vegan hair vitamins are made with natural plant-based ingredients and are free of synthetic flavors and additives.
Vegan hair vitamins cannot contain collagen which is derived from animals. If you choose vegan hair gummies, make sure they are also free of gelatin.
To be sure that your hair vitamins are free of animal products and not animal tested, we recommend looking for a vegan label on the packaging.
Best Vegan Hair Vitamins 2023
These are the best vegan hair vitamins and vegan hair gummies for strong and healthy hair in 2023. All hair vitamins on this list are gelatin-free, cruelty-free, and vegan.
From SugarBear Hair Vitamins to Garden of Life Vegan Collagen Builder, these vegan supplements are designed to give your hair the vitamin boost it may well need.
SugarBear Hair Vitamins
These famous blue vegan gummy vitamins with organic tapioca are one of the most recommended cruelty-free hair supplements. And they suit every hair type.
Sugar Bear vegan hair vitamins have biotin, vitamins A, C, D, E, B6, B12, folic acid, pantothenic acid, iodine, zinc, choline. No hormones, gelatin, dairy, or gluten.
We love that these vitamin-packed gummies have a natural fruit flavor. Compared to pills, they are much easier and more pleasant to consume.
Hum Nutrition Hair Sweet Hair
These vegan hair gummies with berry flavor promote hair growth, boost hair color, and support the health of skin and nails.
The vegan vitamins for thinning hair include biotin, zinc, B12, PABA, folic acid, and Fo-Ti. Hum Nutrition says you can expect results four to eight weeks after the start of consumption.
Briogeo B. Well Vegan Omegas + Biotin
The vegan vitamins for hair growth use a blend of vegan omega fatty acids and other essential hair vitamins. They include omega 3, 6, 9 as well as biotin, vitamins C and E, zinc, and copper.
The comprehensive vitamin complex promotes hair growth, deals with dryness, thinning, damage, split ends, breakage, and supports overall hair health.
The pills have a soft gel formula and a good-sized jar. The vegan supplement is recommended for all hair types – fine, medium, thick, straight, wavy, curly, or coily.
Garden of Life Vegan Collagen Builder
Garden of Life organic vegan biotin supplement supports the healthy growth of hair and the general well-being of skin and nails. It also includes silica and healthy polyphenols.
The vegan vitamin complex supports the build of the body’s own natural collagen which is essential for hair growth. It gives you all the important building blocks for collagen.
Usually sold as powders, this vegan collagen builder is in a form of a pill. Garden of Life supplements are certified organic and non-GMO.
Pacifica Hair Nirvana Beauty Gummies
One of the biggest vegan haircare and skincare brands Pacifica also makes great vegan beauty gummies. Their most important nutrients include biotin, vitamin E, and vitamin C.
Formulated with chia powder, these vegan gummies have a natural cherry flavor and are easy to chew. Pacifica gummies are non-GMO, soy-free, gluten-free, and made in the USA.
Solgar Skin, Nails & Hair Tablets
This Solgar vegan supplement is made to boost skin, nail, and hair health. In addition, it supports your immune system and bone and cartilage health.
The key nutrients of the supplement are zinc, vitamin C, copper, and MSM. MSM is a good source of sulfur that is an important building block in collagen and keratin.
Rich in antioxidants, the vegan hair growth supplement helps to boost collagen synthesis and protects cells from oxidative stress and premature aging.
Note that this vegan vitamin does not include biotin. So we recommend also taking Solgar Vegan Biotin Supplement to complement this one.
The vitamin complex is free of gluten, sugar, sodium, artificial coloring, or sweeteners.
Moon Juice SuperHair
This vegan supplement provides daily hair nutrition with vegan biotin sources, kelp, horsetail, ashwagandha, and ginseng to stimulate hair growth.
The interesting thing about this vitamin complex is that the adaptogens, botanicals, and micronutrients are derived from Chinese medicine and Ayurveda.
Ginseng and ashwagandha reduce oxidative stress and balance stress hormones. Moon Juice Super Hair pills have vitamin A, D, D, E, K, and B.
Revly Vegan Hair, Skin, & Nails Complex
Amazon brand Revly offers affordable vegan hair vitamins that are rich in biotin and MSM.
This vegan hair supplement maintains healthy hair, skin, and nails, as well as supports energy metabolism and brain function.
The supplement has a blend of biotin, MSM, and botanicals selected with hair health in mind. The vegan hair capsules are gluten-free.
HairAnew Healthy Hair Formula
These easy-to-swallow vegan hair capsules have been created with biotin, zinc, vitamin E, and C.
This formula was created to target hair growth and deal with hair fall resulting from vitamin deficiencies, stress, or postpartum.
The capsules work with all ages, genders, and hair types. The hair formula is cruelty-free, sugar-free, soy-free, non-GMO, and made in the USA.
Hello Lovely! Hair Gummies
Hello Lovely! pink hair gummies are easy to chew and provide support for hair growth. The biotin vegan vitamins for hair loss also have the supporting vitamins E and C.
The red berry-flavored non-GMO supplement is made for men and women. It also supports the health of skin and nails.
Brockbeauty Hairfinity Hair Vitamins
The unique formula of the vegan hair vitamin includes biotin, horsetail, amino acids, MSM, and a blend of bioactive minerals and vitamins.
Brockbeauty Hairfinity supports the health of nails and hair as well as maintains existing hair’s well-being. The hair vitamin is created for both – men and women.
FAQ About Vegan Hair Vitamins
Vegan or not, in order to stimulate hair growth, pay amplified attention to biotin, zinc, vitamin D, and vitamin E.
The best vegan supplements for hair growth are SugarBear Hair Vitamins, Moon Juice SuperHair Vitamins, and Briogeo B. Well Vegan Omegas + Biotin.
There is no evidence that veganism improves hair growth. Vegans are just generally more health-conscious and consume more vegetables and fruits every day. Thus, vegans are more likely to get more vitamins and minerals to help their hair stay healthy and strong.
Biotin can be both vegan or animal-derived. Biotin is naturally present in many plant-based foods, including nuts, seeds, grains, and mushrooms. Biotin supplements are usually vegan-friendly but look for a vegan label to be sure.
Vegans get enough biotin if they pay attention to healthy eating. The best vegan sources for biotin are nuts, oats, cereal, mushrooms, tempeh, tahini, nutritional yeast, seeds, and avocados.
You can find the best selection of vegan hair vitamins online, especially on Amazon and Sephora.
By following a healthy plant-based diet, vegans have usually no problem getting most of the important vitamins and minerals needed for hair growth.
If you want to try our vegan hair vitamins, there are many reliable options on the market. Be it vegan hair gummies or biotin supplements, we hope you found the right fit for you.
It is still important to remember that hair loss and thinness can be caused by a number of reasons. Therefore, it is especially important to consult a doctor if this problem occurs.
See also: Vegan Multivitamins