Lip gloss was out for a while but now it’s back with all the other fun things from the 2000s. As the gloss trend is going strong, you can also find plenty of vegan lip glosses to choose from.
Clear, tinted, flavored, with and without glitter – there are vegan-friendly lip glosses for every taste. From glazed donut looks to elegant shimmer.
Take a break from the long-reigned matte look and choose a hydrating, high-shine vegan lip gloss. Here are the best vegan lip glosses for 2023.
All lip glosses below are fully vegan and cruelty-free, meaning they are free from animal ingredients and have not been tested on animals.
Best Vegan Lip Glosses 2023
The vegan lip glosses below are amazing. Turn up the shine with these gorgeous plant-based lip glosses that hydrate, nourish, and glaze your lips.
- Best Overall: Tower 28 ShineOn Jelly Lip Gloss
- Best Glitter: Patrick Ta Major Glow Lip Shine Gloss
- Best Clear: Fenty Beauty Gloss Bomb Universal Lip Luminizer
- Best Plumping: Too Faced Lip Injection Power Plumping Lip Gloss
- Best Organic: Kopari Coconut Lip Glossy
- Best Affordable: E.l.f. Lip Plumping Gloss
- Best Long-Wearing: Anastasia Beverly Hills Tinted Lip Gloss
- Best For Fair Skin: Tarte Maracuja Juicy Lip Balm
- Best For Dark Skin: Mented Cosmetics Lip Gloss
- Best For Dry Lips: Kaja Gloss Shot Hydrating Lip Gloss
- Best For Sensitive Lips: Merit Shade Slick Tinted Lip Oil
- Best For Mature Lips: Hourglass Unreal Volumizing Lip Gloss
- Best Lip Oil: Kosas Wet Lip Oil Plumping Treatment
Best Vegan Lip Gloss Overall
Tower 28 ShineOn Jelly Lip Gloss is the best vegan lip gloss. It looks stunning on the lips, it’s super hydrating and juicy. It also has a good amount of pigment. The natural gloss nourishes lips with raspberry seed oil and apricot oil. What’s best – it’s completely non-sticky.
- What we like: beautiful wet shine and pigment, very comfortable
- What we don’t like: not long-wearing
- What other reviewers say: lips are smooth, soft, and hydrated, nice tint of color, is not sticky at all, buildable color, does not irritate sensitive lips
Key ingredients: apricot kernel oil, raspberry seed oil, rosehip oil | Finish: high shine and shimmer options | Shade range: 13 | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, clean, natural, nut-free, gluten-free, dermatologist-tested, fragrance-free, paraben-free, phthalate-free, sulfate-free, talc-free
Best Vegan Glitter Lip Gloss
Looking for a vegan glitter lip gloss? Patrick Ta has the best one. It’s fun and glittery yet at the same time quite classy. The pearly iridescent shimmer also adds beautiful dimension and reflection to the lips. And we love the minty fresh sensation on the lips.
- What we like: silky formula, gorgeous sparkle
- What we don’t like: not very pigmented
- What other reviewers say: elevating glitter but not overpowering, beautiful colors that go well with lipliners, goes on smooth, multi-dimensional shimmer
Key ingredients: peppermint oil, synthetic beeswax, vegan emollients | Finish: high-shine, glitter | Shade range: 3 | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, paraben-free, phthalate-free, SLS-free, mineral oil-free
Best Clear Vegan Lip Gloss
Fenty’s Gloss Bomb in the Glass Slipper shade is the best vegan clear lip gloss. It goes on quite thick giving the most gorgeous shine and luster to the lips. We like that it looks good alone and works well with other lip products. It also smells great.
Not all Gloss Bomb shades used to be vegan but the 7 shades currently sold on Sephora and Ulta are all vegan-friendly. The limited edition RiRi was not vegan. The tinted vegan glosses are also quite magnificent and highly praised in the beauty community.
- What we like: high-impact glossy and glazed lips
- What we don’t like: it’s sticky
- What other reviewers say: versatile clear gloss, thick and not runny, moisturizing and non-greasy, subtle scent, tinted shades look good on tan and dark skin tones
Key ingredients: shea butter, microcrystalline wax | Finish: high shine | Shade range: 7 | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, black female-founded brand, paraben-free, phthalate-free
Best Plumping Vegan Lip Gloss
This Too Faced Gloss is the best vegan plumping lip gloss. It’s difficult to find a gloss with a real plumping effect but this one has it. It gives a slight tingle that invigorates lips adding instant fullness and volume. It has a smooth texture and the colors look beautiful.
- What we like: delivers an actual plumping effect
- What we don’t like: can irritate sensitive lips
- What other reviewers say: works for plumping lips, long-wearing gloss, beautiful shade range, moisturizing, nice scent, both glitter and high shine finishes look good
Key ingredients: lactic acid, hyaluronic acid | Finish: high shine, shimmer, and glitter options | Shade range: 16 | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, paraben-free, gluten-free
Best Organic Vegan Lip Gloss
Kopari Coconut Lip Glossy is the best organic vegan lip gloss. Made from organic coconut oil, shea butter, and vegan squalane, it packs lips with moisture and adds a beautiful glossy shine. It’s totally non-sticky. Natural and safe, it’s also the best vegan lip balm for girls and teens.
- What we like: best natural gloss, uses only 11 ingredients
- What we don’t like: not the most glossy result
- What other reviewers say: protects and softens the lips, subtle natural finish, comfortable, not at all sticky, waxy, or tacky, safe and soothing for sensitive lips, great smelling
Key ingredients: organic coconut oil, shea butter, vegan squalane, vitamin E | Finish: high shine | Shade range: 6 | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, clean, organic, natural, paraben-free, phthalate-free, silicone-free, sulfate-free, dermatologist-tested, non-GMO, non-allergenic, safe for sensitive skin
Best Affordable Vegan Lip Gloss
E.l.f. Lip Plumping Gloss is the best affordable vegan lip gloss. It only costs $7 and gives great shimmer and dimension to the lips. It also hydrates and revives the lips. The plumping effect is real – you can feel the plumping tingle when you apply it.
- What we like: best pigment and shine for the price
- What we don’t like: a bit sticky, not for sensitive skin
- What other reviewers say: good medium sheer gloss, beautiful everyday shades moisturizing for dry lips, the plumping effect is either a hit or a miss
Key ingredients: vitamin E, coconut oil | Finish: high shine | Shade range: 10 | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, paraben-free, phthalate-free, triclosan-free
Best Long-Wearing Vegan Lip Gloss
Anastasia Beverly Hills Tinted Lip Gloss is the most long-wearing vegan lip gloss. It’s rich in pigment with a high-shine finish that lasts for hours. It has the prettiest peachy, rosy, and neutral colors to elevate every makeup look. It also feels smooth and comfortable.
- What we like: long-lasting result, creamy texture
- What we don’t like: can spoil and smell chemically
- What other reviewers say: praised for staying power, beautiful shades, goes well on lipstick, non-greasy, delicious cupcake scent
Key ingredients: mica, silica, vanillin | Finish: high shine | Shade range: 8 | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, paraben-free, phthalate-free, SLS-free,
Best Vegan Lip Gloss For Fair Skin
Maracuja is the best vegan lip gloss for fair skin. The rose and mauve shades really elevate light complexions and give the lips a gorgeous juicy glazed look. It also keeps the lips healthy and hydrated with maracuja oil, vitamin C, grapeseed oil, and goji berry extracts.
- What we like: best rose shades, good hydration
- What we don’t like: not long-lasting
- What other reviewers say: lips look juicy, pretty shades for pale complexions, very hydrating, non-sticky, feels like lip oil, need to reapply quite often
Key ingredients: maracuja oil (passionfruit), grapeseed oil, goji berry extract| Finish: high shine | Shade range: 8 | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, clean, natural, paraben-free, phthalate-free, mineral oil-free SLS-free, gluten-free, dermatologist-tested
Best Vegan Lip Gloss For Dark Skin
Mented Lip Gloss is the best vegan lip gloss for dark skin. From deep berry and chocolate shades to soft pinks – this gloss is made to complement brown skin and black skin tones. It’s light and comfortable and gives a gorgeous natural luster to the lips.
- What we like: brilliant shade range for darker skin
- What we don’t like: rubs off quite fast
- What other reviewers say: very moisturizing, brilliant natural shine, shades look great brown skin and Indian skin tones, soft applicator
Key ingredients: castor seed oil | Finish: high shine | Shade range: 7 | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, black female-founded brand, paraben-free, gluten-free, made in the USA
Best Vegan Lip Gloss For Dry Lips
Kaja Gloss Shot is our favorite hydrating vegan lip gloss for dry lips. It’s an all-day hydration station for dry and chapped lips as it moisturizes lips with jojoba oil, olive squalane, and rosehip oil. The shine looks really pretty, we really like the light pink Milk Tea shade.
- What we like: instant relief for dry lips, beautiful glossy finish
- What we don’t like: small shade range
- What other reviewers say: beautiful glossed look, very moisturizing decent staying power, natural amount of pigment, the product lasts long
Key ingredients: jojoba oil, rosehip fruit oil, olive squalane | Finish: high shine | Shade range: 4 | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, paraben-free, phthalate-free, SLS-free, gluten-free
Best Vegan Lip Gloss For Sensitive Lips
Merit has the perfect vegan lip gloss for sensitive lips. The gentle natural gloss is made from rosehip oil, jojoba oil, and shea butter. It’s so soft and silky and free of over 1300 potentially harmful ingredients including fragrance and artificial colorings.
- What we like: so soothing, juicy lips naturally
- What we don’t like: not long-wearing
- What other reviewers say: nourishing and hydrating, clean formula doesn’t irritate sensitive skin, not sticky at all great warm neutral tones for all skin tones
Key ingredients: rosehip oil, shea butter, grapeseed oil, jojoba oil | Finish: high shine | Shade range: 8 | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, clean, natural, paraben-free, phthalate-free, sulfate-free, fragrance-free, free of 1300 harmful ingredients,
Best Vegan Lip Gloss For Mature Lips
Unreal Lip Gloss is the best vegan lip gloss for mature lips. It gives great hydration and plumpness to aging lips with hyaluronic acid and avocado oil. It has a very elegant shine and a flattering range of colors. The applicator allows for excellent precision so it doesn’t bleed.
- What we like: most luxurious vegan gloss, rich in pigment
- What we don’t like: messy to apply, poor packaging
- What other reviewers say: comfortable to apply, covers lip lines and does not bleed, a gorgeous range of colors, lasts through eating and drinking
Key ingredients: VoluLip (peptide and plant extract blend), hyaluronic acid, shea butter, avocado oil | Finish: high shine, shimmer, and metallic options | Shade range: 18 | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, clean, natural, paraben-free, phthalate-free, sulfate-free, alcohol-free, GMO-free, mineral oil-free, synthetic fragrance-free, talc-free, silicone D5-free
Best Vegan Lip Oil
Kosas Wet Lip Oil is the best vegan lip oil. It doesn’t exactly plump the lips but adds natural fullness with a combination of shine and hydration. Made with hyaluronic acid, primrose oil, and peptides, it keeps the lips healthy and protected. It’s also safe for sensitive skin.
- What we like: very moisturizing and comfortable
- What we don’t like: not transfer-proof
- What other reviewers say: a non-irritating and non-tingly way to plump lips, lips look juicy and hydrated, not sticky, shine lasts, lovely scent and smell, neutral tones praised
Key ingredients: hyaluronic acid, peptides, evening primrose oil | Finish: high shine | Shade range: | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, clean, natural, paraben-free, phthalate-free, sulfate-free, talc-free, cyclic silicone-free, free of over 2700 harmful ingredients, clinically tested
Best Vegan Lip Gloss Brands
Here are the best brands for vegan lip gloss in 2023. The companies are entirely vegan, so feel free to browse their lip glosses and makeup with good conscience.
E.l.f. is one of the most affordable and beloved cosmetic brands in the USA. All of their makeup as well as lip glosses are 100% vegan and cruelty-free. The brand has a long list of different vegan lip glosses including tinted lip glosses, plumping glosses, and retro glosses.
KVD Beauty is an American makeup company that only offers cruelty-free vegan makeup. Edgy and trendy are the keywords for this vegan brand. KVD vegan lip glosses are hydrating, with a high shine and pigment, and look best on top of lipstick.
Hourglass is one of the best high-end cosmetic brands in the USA. As of 2020, all of their products are 100% PETA-certified vegan. We love Hourglass vegan lip glosses. Made with premium ingredients, the lip gloss selection is luxurious, high shine, and long-wear.
Lip glosses from Tower 28 are vegan, gluten-free, and safe for sensitive lips. Their ShineOn Lip Jelly is a real hit among vegans and non-vegans alike. Born in California, Tower 28 is a female-founded vegan makeup brand that takes care of the lips with clean, toxin-free ingredients.
What Makes Lip Gloss Vegan?
Vegan lip gloss is a lip gloss free from all animal-derived ingredients such as beeswax or carmine. Vegan lip glosses have also not been tested on animals.
The most common animal products found in lip glosses are:
- Guanine: shine agent derived from fish scales
- Beeswax: emollient produced by honeybees
- Lanolin: emollient from sheep’s glands
- Collagen: hydrating ingredient from animal bones
- Carmine: red pigment derived from crushed insects
In vegan lip gloss, guanine is usually replaced by synthetic pearl or natural mica crystals for shine. For moisturizing, vegan lip gloss uses soy wax and plant oils such as jojoba oil.
Instead of red carmine, vegan lip glosses derive pigment from iron oxides, anthocyanins, beetroot, or other purple and red vegetable colorings.
To make sure the lip gloss you are buying is vegan, prefer products with a certified vegan label or choose a vegan gloss from our verified list.
Many ingredients in cosmetics can be both vegan and animal-based (e.g. glycerin), so you’ll want confirmation from the producer that all the gloss ingredients are animal-free.
What To Look For In A Vegan Lip Gloss?
The best vegan lip glosses are non-sticky and give something extra in addition to shine. Before buying a lip gloss, check if the product contains moisturizing components such as healthy plant oils or plant-derived vitamins.
If you have sensitive lips, go for a lip gloss that’s odorless and has no flavoring. We know – fragrance and flavor are one of the best parts of a lip gloss. But they are not worth the risk. They can easily irritate the lips and cause uncomfortable breakouts.
How We Review Vegan Lip Glosses
We review vegan lip glosses based on these criteria:
- Ingredients – Best vegan lip glosses are free of harsh chemicals and instead nourish lips with high-quality botanicals and plant oils.
- Finish – Beautiful finish is everything in vegan lip glosses, some like it glittery, others a more natural shine. In either case, the finish should be as promised.
- Pigment – Aside from clear lip glosses, a vegan lip gloss should have the right amount of pigment – not too overpowering but still noticeable enough.
- Price – A vegan lip gloss should not be too expensive, it’s still a fun product that you could ideally afford to get in multiple colors. We try to list vegan lip glosses in every price range.
Why Trust Us
Vegan Avenue has been reviewing vegan makeup products for over 2 years. We personally try out all leading vegan lip glosses before writing up a review. None of our reviews have been incentivized by the brand or retailer.
FAQ About Vegan Lip Gloss
Lip gloss is not always vegan. It can contain animal-derived ingredients such as guanine, beeswax, or collagen. Many lip glosses are also animal tested.
Vegan lip gloss is made from a variety of plant-derived ingredients. Plant oils are used for moisturizing, mica crystals for shimmer, and vegetable pigments for coloring the gloss.
You can find the largest variety of vegan lip glosses online, especially on Sephora and Ulta. When shopping for vegan lip gloss in a drugstore, look for a certified vegan label from PETA or The Vegan Society.
Most vegan lip gloss bases are available online. Amazon carries TKB Lip Gloss Base – one of the best vegan lip gloss bases for DIY lip glosses. It’s made in the USA and mineral oil-free.
No. Dior’s Lip Glow Oil is not vegan. Dior uses animal testing, so none of its products are really vegan. The same goes for Revlon, Clarins, and Maybelline lip glosses.
No. Charlotte Tilbury’s Collagen Lip Bath is not vegan since it includes marine collagen from fish.
Yes. Fenty’s Gloss Bomb is vegan. It had initially both vegan and non-vegan shades but the non-vegan shades seem to have been discontinued. Their 7 vegan shades include Fenty Glow, Diamond Milk, Fu$$y, Glass Slipper, $weet Mouth, Cheeky, and Hot Chocolit.
No, NYX Butter Gloss is not vegan and contains beeswax.
Yes. CoverGirl Clean Fresh Yummy Gloss is vegan and cruelty-free.
We hope you found inspiration from our list of vegan lip glosses. As high-shine glossy lips are gaining momentum, we are happy we can do it in a vegan way.
We love vegan lip glosses from Hourglass, KVD Beauty, Tower 28, and other vegan and cruelty-free brands. Stay tuned as we keep updating this list with new shiny options.
Thanks for choosing vegan makeup.
See also: Vegan Lipsticks