The world of vegan makeup is getting more vibrant every day. There are so many vegan makeup products we’ve been eager to try out and share our experience with you.
After careful testing, our editorial team has picked out the best vegan makeup products for 2023. These products have won our hearts and are totally worth stocking up on.
All makeup products below are vegan and cruelty-free, meaning they are free from animal-derived ingredients and have not been tested on animals.
See also: Best Vegan Makeup Brands
Best Vegan Face Makeup Products
Best Vegan Cheek Makeup Products
Best Vegan Eye Makeup Products
Best Vegan Lip Makeup Products
Best Vegan Makeup Tools & Kits
Best Vegan Makeup Products 2023
These are the best vegan makeup products for 2023.
- Best Vegan Foundation: Charlotte Tilbury Airbrush Flawless Foundation
- Best Vegan Primer: Milk Makeup Hydro Grip Primer
- Best Vegan Concealer: Kosas Revealer Brightening Concealer
- Best Vegan Setting Powder: Hourglass Veil Translucent Setting Powder
- Best Vegan Blush: Milani Cosmetics Baked Blush
- Best Vegan Highlighter: Rare Beauty Positive Light Liquid Luminizer
- Best Vegan Mascara: Too Faced Better Than Sex Volumizing Mascara
- Best Vegan Eyeshadow: Urban Decay Naked Wild West Eyeshadow Palette
- Best Vegan Lipstick: Merit Signature Lip Lightweight Lipstick
- Best Vegan Lip Gloss: Tower 28 Beauty ShineOn Jelly Lip Gloss
Best Vegan Face Makeup Products
Here are the best vegan face makeup products for a beautiful complexion. See our top picks for a vegan foundation, vegan primer, vegan concealer, vegan setting spray, and more.
Best Vegan Foundation
Charlotte Tilbury Airbrush Flawless Foundation
Charlotte Tilbury’s Airbrush Foundation is the best vegan foundation. It covers all imperfections in a flash while still looking natural like your own skin. The skin looks matte and poreless.
- What we like: beautiful airbrushed finish, breathable coverage
- What we don’t like: can cake for oily and textured skin
- What other reviewers say: great coverage, skin stays matte for the whole day, blurs pores, doesn’t feel heavy
Key ingredients: anti-aging moss cultures, peptide complex| Coverage: full | Finish: matte | Shade range: 40+ | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, paraben-free
Best Vegan Tinted Moisturizer
BareMinerals Complexion Rescue Tinted Moisturizer
BareMinerals Complexion Rescue is the best vegan tinted moisturizer. It’s the ideal foundation replacement if all you want is some moisture and light tint. It’s great for all skin types.
- What we like: lightweight and radiant
- What we don’t like: some shades are too orangey
- What other reviewers say: sheer coverage, great sun protection, creamy texture, light, buildable coverage, good for sensitive skin
Key ingredients: hyaluronic acid, vegan squalane, minerals | Coverage: sheer to medium | Finish: dewy | SPF: 30| Features: vegan, cruelty-free, natural, clean, dermatologist-tested, hypoallergenic, oil-free, gluten-free, synthetic fragrance-free
Best Vegan BB Cream
Tarte BB Blur Tinted Moisturizer
Tarte offers our favorite vegan BB cream. This is the cream that makes your skin look healthy and even with a natural finish. It also doubles as a primer and sunscreen.
- What we like: natural no-makeup look, smooth and soft texture
- What we don’t like: shades have changed in the new formula
- What other reviewers say: lightweight, amazing coverage, blends well, does not settle in lines, evens out skin tone
Key ingredients: diamond powder, plant extracts, lipoamino acids| Coverage: medium, buildable | Finish: natural matte | SPF: 30 | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, clean, paraben-free, mineral oil-free, gluten-free, dermatologist-tested
Best Vegan CC Cream
If you seek a tinted moisturizer with color-corrects abilities, Cle has the best vegan CC cream. It works best for brightening the skin and evening out skin tone. And it comes with SPF 50.
- What we like: skin looks fresh and bright
- What we don’t like: includes essential oils
- What other reviewers say: beautiful finish, covers dark circles and evens out skin tone, great sun protection, smells good, works also as a primer, hydrates the skin
Key ingredients: hyaluronic acid, niacinamide, glycerin | Coverage: sheer to medium | Finish: dewy, satiny | SPF: 50 | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, clean, synthetic fragrance-free, talc-free, paraben-free, gluten-free, phthalate-free
Best Vegan Primer
Milk Makeup Hydro Grip Primer is the best vegan primer. It creates the smoothest canvas for makeup and helps the makeup last for much longer. It’s hydrating yet lightweight.
- What we like: best makeup result, smoothest base
- What we don’t like: it’s a bit sticky
- What other reviewers say: long-lasting full coverage that feels lightweight, lasts through sweating and humidity, makeup looks very different without it under
Key ingredients: blue agave and cannabis seed extracts, hyaluronic acid, niacinamide, aloe water | Finish: radiant | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, clean, natural, paraben-free, phthalate-free, mineral oil-free, SLS-free, gluten-free, oil-free, silicone-free, fragrance-free
Best Vegan Concealer
Kosas Revealer Brightening Concealer
Our favorite vegan concealer comes from Kosas. It brightens the under-eyes like no other concealer. The eyes look fresh and and awake. It also hydrates the skin without feeling cakey.
- What we like: creamy texture, radiant finish
- What we don’t like: too rich formula for oily skin
- What other reviewers say: best vegan under-eye concealer, blurred effect, doubles as an eye cream, very hydrating, non-cakey, safe for sensitive skin
Formula: cream | Coverage: medium to full | Finish: radiant | Shade range: 28 | Key ingredients: hyaluronic acid, peptides, caffeine, pink algae, arnica | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, clean, natural, talc-free, fragrance-free, gluten-free, silicone-free, allergy-tested, dermatologist-tested, non-comedogenic
Best Vegan Setting Powder
Hourglass Veil Translucent Setting Powder
Hourglass Veil is the best vegan setting powder. This fine translucent powder creates the best finishing touch to every makeup. It makes the skin look smooth and airbrushed.
- What we like: velvety feel, airbrushed finish
- What we don’t like: can cake for oily skin
- What other reviewers say: best loose powder, fine texture, sets makeup well, flawless finish, lightweight, good for dry skin, non-drying
Coverage: sheer, airbrushed | Finish: natural | Shade range: 1 (translucent) | Key ingredients: corn starch | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, paraben-free, phthalate-free, mineral oil-free, talc-free, sulfate-free, fragrance-free, nanoparticle-free
Best Vegan Setting Spray
Urban Decay All Nighter Setting Spray
If you want your makeup to really stay put, All Nighter is the vegan setting spray you need. We like that it doesn’t dull out makeup with an overly matte finish yet it still blocks shine.
- What we like: makeup won’t budge, beautiful glow
- What we don’t like: chemical smell
- What other reviewers say: community favorite, lasts through sweating and dancing, perfect for weddings and events, looks good on photos, beautiful glow, blocks shine
Finish: natural | Key ingredients: aloe leaf juice, polyhydroxystearic acid from castor oil | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, paraben-free, mineral oil-free
Best Vegan Cheek Makeup Products
There are our favorite vegan cheek makeup products. Discover the best vegan blush, bronzer, highlighter, and the best vegan contouring product.
Best Vegan Blush
Milani has the most beautiful vegan blush. This baked blush looks so natural and sheer. Just a sunkissed glow with a pinch of color. You can choose between matte and glittery finishes.
- What we like: natural glowing finish, beautiful pigment
- What we don’t like: not the strongest staying power
- What other reviewers say: gorgeous glow, doubles as a highlighter, some shades are more glittery, sturdy compact case, peach and rose ones highly praised
Type: baked powder blush | Shade range: 8 | Finish: satin, shimmer| Key ingredients: talc, mica, jojoba seed oil| Features: vegan, cruelty-free, paraben-free, made in Italy
Best Vegan Highlighter
Rare Beauty Positive Light Liquid Luminizer
Rare Beauty’s Liquid Luminizer is the best vegan highlighter. It melts into the skin and gives a beautiful highlighter glow. It has just the right amount of pigment to still look natural.
- What we like: stunning glow, beautiful shades
- What we don’t like: not transfer-proof
- What other reviewers say: second skin feel and glow, buildable and blendable, best range of shades for every skin tone from rose gold to deep bronze
Type: liquid highlighter | Shade range: 8 | Key ingredients: mica, olive oil, sunflower seed oil, flower extracts | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, clean, paraben-free, phthalate-free, SLS-free, mineral oil-free, dermatologist-tested, suitable for sensitive skin
Best Vegan Bronzer
Tarte Amazonian Clay Matte Waterproof Bronzer
Tarte Amazonian Clay is our winner in the best vegan bronzer category. It’s non-glittery and leaves the skin naturally glowing. Being blendable and smooth, it also doubles as a contourer.
- What we like: gives a beautiful summery glow, highly blendable
- What we don’t like: not transfer-proof
- What other reviews say: silky and smooth, feels lightweight, blends effortlessly, non-orangey, suits fair and Asian skin tones, not the best for olive skin
Key ingredients: Amazonian clay, mineral pigments | Formula: powder | Finish: natural matte | Shade range: 2 | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, clean, paraben-free, phthalate-free, sulfate-free, triclosan-free, mineral oil-free, gluten-free, dermatologist-tested, water-resistant
Best Vegan Contouring Product
The best vegan contouring product is Aesthetica Cream Contour Kit. These shades are so creamy and blendable and create the perfect sculpted look for the cheekbones.
- What we like: smooth texture, blends well
- What we don’t like: runs out quite fast
- What other reviews say: affordable, great for beginners, not smudgy, goes on silky smooth, shades fit a wide variety of complexions
Key ingredients: mica, synthetic beeswax | Finish: natural matte | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, refillable, talc-free, paraben-free, gluten-free
Best Vegan Eye Makeup Products
Eye makeup often contains animal ingredients such as beeswax or carmine. These are the best vegan eye makeup products from vegan mascara to vegan eyeshadow.
Best Vegan Mascara
Too Faced Better Than Sex Volumizing Mascara
Looking for a great vegan mascara? Too Faced Better Than Sex is our pick. This mascara wins in all aspects – volume, length, fullness, definition, and curl. The lashes look amazing with this one.
- What we like: the most beautiful volume and definition
- What we don’t like: can sometimes clump
- What other reviewers say: lashes look big and lifted, lengthens, separates, and darkens lashes beautifully, well-designed applicator accesses all lashes, black is rich black, brown shade looks natural
Key ingredients: polymers, peptides, synthetic beeswax, acacia tree gum | Benefits: volume, length, curl | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, paraben-free, ophthalmologist-tested, suitable for contact lenses wearers
Best Vegan Eyeliner
NYX Professional Makeup Epic Ink Liner
NYX Epic Ink Liner is the best vegan eyeliner. You can use it to draw thin lines, thicker lines, and wings quickly and smoothly. The rich black pigment looks great and it doesn’t smudge.
- What we like: smooth, easy to apply, smudge-free
- What we don’t like: some packages are leaky
- What other reviewers say: great for all types of looks from thin to thick lines, great for a cat eye, does not smudge or need touchups, as good as more expensive liners
Type: liquid eyeliner | Color options: black | Key ingredients: castor seed oil | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, paraben-free, waterproof
Best Vegan Eyeshadow
Urban Decay Naked Wild West Eyeshadow Palette
Urban Decay Naked Wild West Palette is our favorite vegan eyeshadow. It’s the most versatile palette for daily neutral looks to evening glam. The shades are soft and blendable.
- What we like: the most beautiful set of colors
- What we don’t like: shades break easily
- What other reviewers say: good pigment, great balance between warm and cool shades, gold, silver, and green tones highly praised
Key ingredients: mica, talc, capric triglyceride (vegan glycerin with coconut oil) | Finish: matte, metallic, shimmer | Shade range: 12 pan palette, 1 palette option | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, paraben-free, synthetic fragrance-free
Best Vegan Brow Product
Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz Brow Pencil
Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz Pencil is the best vegan brow product for beautifully shaped brows. Also, the soft pencil fills in brows with strokes that look like natural brow hair.
- What we like: amazing precision, great for filling
- What we don’t like: the fine tip can break
- What other reviewers say: professional-looking result, natural brows that are well-defined, blends well, easy to work with, good color range for all hair colors
Key benefits: defining, outlining, filling | Finish: natural | Ingredients: soybean oil, coconut oil, carnauba wax, mica | Shade range: 12 | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, paraben-free, sulfate-free, phthalate-free
Best Vegan Eyelashes
If you are looking for vegan false eyelashes, Ardell’s Demi Wispies is the most reliable choice. These lashes look like lash extensions and feel lightweight. Plus, they’re affordable.
- What we like: best-looking vegan lashes, great value for money
- What we don’t like: not the most flexible band
- What other reviewers say: lightweight feel, high-quality design, length is just right
Materials: natural human hair | Look: wispy, feathery | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, natural, knot-free
Best Vegan Eye Primer
Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion
The best vegan eye primer is Urban Decay’s Eyeshadow Primer Potion. This primer locks eyeshadow in place for a full day and makes the eyeshadow pigments more vibrant.
- What we like: eyeshadow looks perfect the whole day
- What we don’t like: not color-correcting
- What other reviewers say: eyeshadow stays in place and looks vibrant (even for oily lids), no creasing, creamy and blendable texture, non-drying for dry lids
Key ingredients: synthetic beeswax, talc| Features: vegan, cruelty-free, paraben-free, waterproof
Best Vegan Lash Serum
RevitaLash Advanced Eyelash Conditioner
RevitaLash has the best vegan eyelash serum. This serum makes lashes visibly grow longer. It’s also great for replacing mascara if you want a more natural no makeup look.
- What we like: makes lashes noticeably longer and fuller
- What we don’t like: includes prostaglandin
- What other reviewers say: lashes grow quickly, visible results in 2 months, lashes appear stronger and denser, a little too expensive
Key ingredients: peptides, lipids, biotin, green tea, panthenol, DDDE | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, clean, prostaglandin-free, BHT-free, hypoallergenic, gluten-free, oil-free, clinically-tested, dermatologist-tested, ophthalmologist-tested, safe to use with eyelash extensions, made in the USA
Best Vegan Lip Makeup Products
Here are the best vegan lip makeup products and vegan lip treatments in 2023. See the best carmine-free vegan lipstick, lip gloss, lip liner, and lip balm.
Best Vegan Lipstick
Merit Signature Lip Lightweight Lipstick
In 2023, Merit’s Signature Lipstick is still our favorite vegan lipstick. The sheer satin finish is timeless and flattering for all skin tones. It makes the lips hydrated and comfortable.
- What we like: the most beautiful shades and finish, clean formula
- What we don’t like: not very long-wearing
- What other reviewers say: natural sheer color, you can barely feel it, buildable in intensity, hydrating, ideal for a fresh casual look, safe for sensitive lips
Key ingredients: vegan squalane, sunflower seed oil, papaya enzymes | Finish: satin | Shade range: 8 | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, clean, natural, synthetic fragrance-free, free of 1300 potentially harmful ingredients
Shop on: Sephora, Official site
Best Vegan Lip Gloss
Tower 28 Beauty ShineOn Jelly Lip Gloss
Tower 28 vegan lip gloss is the best. Instead of being glittery or shiny, it gives a beautiful wet wash to the lips making them look plump and juicy. The colors look beautiful as well.
- What we like: beautiful wet shine and pigment
- What we don’t like: not long-wearing
- What other reviewers say: lips are smooth, soft, and hydrated, nice tint of color, is not sticky at all, buildable color, does not irritate sensitive lips
Key ingredients: apricot kernel oil, raspberry seed oil, rosehip oil | Finish: high shine and shimmer options | Shade range: 13 | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, clean, natural, nut-free, gluten-free, dermatologist-tested, fragrance-free, paraben-free, phthalate-free, sulfate-free, talc-free
Shop on: Sephora, Credo Beauty
Best Vegan Lip Liner
Patrick Ta Major Beauty Headlines Lip Crayon
Makeup artist Patrick Ta has made the best vegan lip liner. It has excellent pigment and smoothness and you can use it for both outlining and filling the lips. The result is gorgeous.
- What we like: shapes lips beautifully, smooth and long-wearing
- What we don’t like: can be drying for dry lips
- What other reviewers say: does not smear or transfer, lasts for hours, rich pigment, matte, perfect for going-out looks, nonconventional tip
Key ingredients: mica, candelilla wax | Finish: matte | Shade range: 5 | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, paraben-free, SLS-free, mineral oil-free, gluten-free
Shop on: Sephora, Official site
Best Vegan Lip Balm
Biossance Squalane+ Rose Vegan Lip Balm
If you are looking for silky smooth vegan lip balm, choose Biossance. It hydrates the lips without being sticky. It uses amazing natural ingredients like vegan squalane and rose wax.
- What we like: great hydration, smooth and not tacky
- What we don’t like: rose smell is not for everybody
- What other reviewers say: plush and cushiony feel, best for hydration, non-sticky, lips feel soft and smooth, hygienic applicator, works also as an overnight mask
Key ingredients: sugarcane-derived squalane, ceramides, hyaluronic acid, rose wax, wakame algae | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, clean, natural, paraben-free, phthalate-free, fragrance-free, PEG-free, EWG-verified
Best Vegan Makeup Tools & Kits
There are the best vegan makeup tools and kits. We also picked out the best vegan makeup set that makes for a great gift for yourself or a loved one.
Best Vegan Vegan Makeup Brushes
Sigma Beauty Essential Makeup Brush Set
As we like to say, Sigma Beauty Essential Brush Set is the Rolls Royce of vegan makeup brushes. They’re so soft and high-quality and they apply and blend every type of makeup well.
- What we like: premium-quality vegan brush set
- What we don’t like: the set is expensive
- What other reviewers say: the softest brushes, make a real difference in applying makeup, the set makes for a beautiful gift, very long-lasting and durable
Bristles: synthetic SigmaTech | Handle: plastic | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, waterproof
Best Vegan Vegan Makeup Sponge
Beautyblender Original Makeup Sponge
The Original Beautyblender is still our favorite vegan makeup sponge. The teardrop shape is ideal for blending and precision. The sponge also holds its shape well and lasts a long time.
- What we like: best for blending foundation
- What we don’t like: quite expensive
- What other reviewers say: very soft and durable, best foundation result, works better than makeup brushes
Key ingredients: polyurethane foam | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, latex-free, paraben-free, phthalate-free, sulfate-free, water-soluble dyes, made in the USA
Best Vegan Vegan Makeup Bag
Béis has the best vegan makeup bag. The faux leather case is very spacious and helps organize all makeup and toiletries quickly and easily. It’s also perfect for traveling.
- What we like: spacious, good structure, compact
- What we don’t like: upper scratches easily
- What other reviewers say: spacious, good compartments and pouches, has a plastic smell in the beginning
Dimensions: 9.5 x 4 x 7″ (24.1 x 10.2 x 17.8 cm) | Materials: PU leather, nylon, PVC, water-resistant polyester | Color options: 11 (4 on Nordstrom) | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, water-resistant
Shop on: Official site, Nordstrom
Best Vegan Vegan Makeup Kit
Merit Beauty Five Minute Morning Kit
Merit’s Five Minute Morning is the best vegan makeup kit. It’s wholesome, made with clean and natural makeup products and you can pick out the shades to match your skin tone.
- What we don’t like: it has everything you need for a full face makeup
- What we like: it’s not a high-impact evening makeup look
- What other reviewers say: high-quality products, perfect everyday makeup set, you can select the shades to match every skin tone, clean products, great for sensitive skin
In the set: complexion stick, cheek balm, highlighting balm, tinted lip oil, blending brush, lengthening mascara, and brow pomade | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, clean, natural, synthetic fragrance-free, free of 1300 potentially harmful ingredients
Shop on: Official site
What Makes A Makeup Product Vegan?
A vegan makeup product is a makeup product made without the use of animal-derived ingredients such as beeswax or carmine. A vegan makeup product is also not tested on animals nor does it use ingredients that have been tested on animals.
These are some of the most common ingredients that make a makeup product not vegan:
- Beeswax – waxy emollient produced by honey bees. Beeswax is used primarily in lip makeup products as well as in many other creamy makeup products.
- Carmine – red pigment from crushed beetles often found in lipsticks, blushes, and eyeshadows. Beware of pink, red, and brown-pigmented makeup.
- Guanine – Shine agent from fish scales. It’s often used for eyeshadows, lip glosses, highlighters, and sometimes even for mascaras.
- Pearl powder – Fine powder made from boiled pearls from mollusks. It’s often found in powdered face makeup products with the function to brighten the skin.
Instead of beeswax, vegan makeup products use synthetic beeswax or plant waxes such as candelilla or carnauba wax. Instead of carmine, vegan makeup products utilize pigments from purple and red vegetables. For shine, vegan products often use natural mica crystals.
To make sure the makeup product you are looking to buy is vegan, prefer products with a certified vegan label from PETA or The Vegan Society. Or at least make sure the brand has a cruelty-free certification from Leaping Bunny with the product clearly labeled vegan.
What To Look For In Vegan Makeup Products?
When searching for the best vegan makeup products, first check the ingredient list. At the very least, expect the vegan makeup product to be free of parabens and phthalates that are linked to endocrine disruption. It’s better to wear makeup that would not affect your hormones.
In addition to ingredients, it is important that the vegan makeup product matches your skin type, especially for face makeup. If you have oily, combination, or acne-prone skin, choose products that are oil-free or non-comedogenic, so you wouldn’t get clogged pores.
With dry skin and sensitive skin, avoid vegan makeup products that have skin-drying alcohols and fragrances. It’s also best if you avoid essential oils in your vegan makeup. While used as a natural fragrance, essential oils may still have a drying effect on the skin.
If you have mature skin, choose vegan makeup products with some moisturizing and anti-aging benefits. Mant vegan makeup products today are packed with skincare ingredients to keep the skin hydrated and protect the skin with antioxidants.
How We Review Vegan Makeup Products
We review vegan makeup products based on the following criteria:
- Ingredients: The best vegan makeup products have clean and sin-friendly formulas. Most of our winning vegan makeup products use no harsh preservatives and are suitable for sensitive skin.
- Performance: A vegan makeup product is primarily judged by how it delivers on its promises. A good vegan foundation should provide enough coverage and a good vegan mascara should add volume. Vegan formulas should not have trade-offs in quality.
- Suitability: By suitability, we mean that the best vegan makeup products should be suitable for as many different skin types and skin tones as possible. The overall best products should serve almost everyone (with the only exception of very sensitive skin).
- Price: We make sure the winning vegan makeup products are reasonably priced. They are not always the cheapest products but they are also not from the luxury makeup category. We believe vegan makeup products should be accessible to everyone.
Why Trust Us
At Vegan Avenue, we review vegan makeup products by trying them out for ourselves. We also rely on peer recommendations and online reviews to arrive at the most objective assessment of the products. None of our reviews has been incentivized by any brand or retailer.
FAQ About Vegan Makeup Products
A vegan makeup product is a makeup product that uses no animal-derived ingredients such as beeswax, milk, or carmine. A vegan makeup product is also not tested on animals.
You can find the best selection of vegan makeup products on Amazon, Sephora, and Ulta. On Sephora and Ulta, apply both ‘vegan’ and ‘cruelty-free’ filters to filter out vegan makeup products. On Amazon, the word ‘vegan’ is typically in the product name or description.
The best vegan makeup products are Charlotte Tilbury Airbrush Flawless Foundation, Too Faced Better Than Sex Volumizing Mascara, Urban Decay Naked Wild West Eyeshadow Palette, and Merit Signature Lip Lightweight Lipstick.
We hope you enjoyed our complete collection of the best vegan makeup products. We keep testing out new vegan makeup products all the time and make sure this article stays updated if better products should come along.
While we value natural and clean products, we like vegan makeup products that perform. It’s the job of makeup products to alter and beautify our faces, and we expect vegan makeup products to be as good or even better than non-vegan products.
Stay tuned for new vegan-friendly makeup products you are sure to love.
See also: Best Vegan Makeup Brands