A makeup sponge is a great tool for applying liquid makeup. Using a sponge instead of fingers ensures a smoother and more evened-out finish for concealers and foundations.
While makeup sponge is generally vegan-friendly product, many sponges on the market are made by companies that still test their products on animals.
We’ve listed the best vegan makeup sponges for 2023. All sponges below are vegan and cruelty-free, meaning they are free of animal ingredients and have not been tested on animals.
See also: Vegan Makeup Brushes
Best Vegan Makeup Sponges 2023
Here are the best vegan makeup sponges and vegan makeup sponge sets.
- Best Overall: Beautyblender Original Makeup Sponge
- Best Runner-Up: Tarte Shape Tape Quickie Blending Sponge
- Best Biodegradable: EcoTools Green Tea BioBlender Sponge
- Best Small: Fenty Beauty Precision Makeup Sponge 100
- Best Affordable: E.l.f. Total Face Blending Sponge
- Best Silicone: NYX Plump Right Back Silicone Sponge
- Best Set: Beauty Bakerie Organic Eggs Beauty Sponges
- Best Value Set: Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge
Best Vegan Makeup Sponge Overall
1. Beautyblender Original Makeup Sponge
Beautyblender Original Makeup Sponge is the best vegan makeup sponge. Nothing really compares to how bouncy and comfortable this sponge is. It blends foundation the best and gives a gorgeous airbrushed finish. It also works great with powders and concealers.
- What we like: best for blending foundation
- What we don’t like: quite expensive
- What other reviewers say: very soft and durable, best foundation result, works better than makeup brushes
Key ingredients: polyurethane foam | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, latex-free, paraben-free, phthalate-free, sulfate-free, water-soluble dyes, made in the USA
Best Vegan Makeup Sponge Runner-Up
2. Tarte Shape Tape Quickie Blending Sponge
Tarte’s Quickie is another vegan makeup sponge we love. It’s very soft yet dense and blends foundations like a dream. The flat surface also works great for blending contouring products and highlighters. It’s also very durable and long-lasting when you maintain it well.
- What we like: dense and bouncy sponge
- What we don’t like: not as streak-free as a Beautyblender
- What other reviewers say: fluffy and dense, works well for foundation and setting powders, durable
Key ingredients: polyurethane foam | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, latex-free, paraben-free, phthalate-free, mineral oil-free, SLS-free, gluten-free
Best Biodegradable Vegan Makeup Sponge
3. EcoTools Green Tea Bioblender Sponge
EcoTools offers the best eco-friendly vegan makeup sponge. This biodegradable sponge uses biobased polyurethane with natural preservatives and pigments. Natural, clean, and infused with soothing green tea, it’s the best vegan makeup sponge for sensitive skin.
- What we like: eco-friendly sponge, nice touch with green tea
- What we don’t like: loses shape in time
- What other reviewers say: sustainable yet cheap, soft and blends well, loved by sensitive skin, also Original and Rose Water versions praised, packaging has plastic
Key ingredients: bionanopol, corn, green tea extract| Features: vegan, cruelty-free, latex-free, biodegradable, eco-friendly, clean, chemical-free, safe for sensitive skin, dermatologist-tested
Best Small Vegan Makeup Sponge
4. Fenty Beauty Precision Makeup Sponge 100
Fenty’s Precision Makeup Sponge is the best small vegan makeup sponge. This makeup sponge is perfect for smaller faces and it offers great precision for blending concealers, blushes, and bronzers. We especially love to use this latex-free vegan makeup sponge for under-eyes.
- What we like: best for applying concealer
- What we don’t like: soaks up quite much product
- What other reviewers say: very soft and easy to clean, great for perfecting makeup, small size is either a hit or a miss
Key ingredients: polyurethane foam | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, latex-free, paraben-free, sulfate-free, phthalate-free, black female-owned brand
Best Affordable Vegan Makeup Sponge
5. E.l.f. Total Face Blending Sponge
E.l.f. Total Face Blending Sponge is the best vegan makeup sponge. It costs only 6 dollars and it’s great for blending all kinds of makeup. The shape is very well-designed with round and flat sides and a precision tip. It’s lightweight, soft, and easy to clean.
- What we like: great design, cheap price
- What we don’t like: gives out dye (rinse thoroughly before using)
- What other reviewers say: best inexpensive makeup sponge, bouncy, blends foundation evenly, flat side is highly praised
Key ingredients: polyurethane foam | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, latex-free, paraben-free, phthalate-free
Best Silicone Vegan Makeup Sponge
6. NYX Plump Right Back Silicone Sponge
NYX has the best vegan silicone sponge. The flat design is great for applying serums, primers, and liquid makeup. Made from silicone, it doesn’t absorb any product, so nothing goes to waste. Keep it in the fridge for the nicest cooling effect that reduces under-eye puffiness.
- What we like: cooling effect, waste-free application
- What we don’t like: not the best for blending
- What other reviewers say: very refreshing, works well with serums and primers, skin looks hydrated, pairs well with the NYX Plumping Vegan Serum
Key ingredients: silicone | Features: vegan, cruelty-free
Best Vegan Makeup Sponge Set
7. Beauty Bakerie Organic Eggs Beauty Sponges
Beauty Bakerie Organic Eggs is the best vegan makeup sponge set. It has the most adorable packaging with 6 egg-shaped sponges that fit into your balm and make blending makeup a joy. The sponges are free of latex, sulfates, and parabens. This set also makes for a beautiful gift.
- What we like: cutest packaging
- What we don’t like: not very durable
- What other reviewers say: very soft sponges, quick and comfortable to blend with, cheap vegan alternative to Beautyblender
Key ingredients: polyurethane foam | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, latex-free, paraben-free, sulfate-free, black female-owned brand
Best Vegan Makeup Sponge Value Set
8. Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge
If you are looking for a great vegan makeup sponge value set, we love this 4-pack from Real Techniques. While affordable, these latex-free vegan foam sponges are of great quality. The shape is perfect for blending. These sponges make the foundation looks great.
- What we like: best price-quality ratio
- What we don’t like: not very dense
- What other reviewers say: great shape and quality, flat side great for applying foundation, edge perfect for under-eyes and nose creases
Key ingredients: polyurethane foam | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, latex-free, dermatologist-tested, safe for sensitive skin
Best Vegan Makeup Sponge Brands
These brands have the best selection of cruelty-free vegan makeup sponges. From their selection, you can select vegan sponges in any shape and size you like.
Are Makeup Sponges Vegan?
A makeup sponge is vegan if it’s free of animal ingredients, primarily of animal-derived glues, dyes, or added extracts like collagen. A vegan makeup sponge is also not tested on animals.
Most makeup sponges on the market are made from polyurethane foam – a plastic-based polymer material that is essentially vegan-friendly.
The glues and dyes used in makeup sponges are usually of vegan origin but you want to be double sure and prefer sponges with a clear vegan marking or certified vegan label.
In addition, makeup sponges can be infused with animal-derived ingredients such as animal collagen protein or animal-derived glycerin. It’s not common in sponges but it can happen.
The biggest factor in 2023 that makes a makeup sponge not vegan is animal testing. Many drugstore brands such as L’Oréalstill test products on animals, so none of their products (including sponges) cannot be considered vegan.
What To Look For Vegan Makeup Sponges?
When looking to buy a vegan makeup sponge, prefer sponges that are as chemical-free as possible. The best kinds of vegan makeup sponges are latex-free, paraben-free, and sulfate-free. Those kinds of chemicals are just not needed in sponges, especially if you have sensitive skin.
Another thing to consider in vegan makeup sponges is the shape and size. If you look to apply your foundation with a sponge, pick a larger sponge that helps you blend quickly and easily. If you are applying under-eye concealer, a smaller sponge with a sharp tip is more convenient.
Whatever you do, do not forget to wash your vegan makeup sponge, so it performs better and won’t accumulate bacteria. The best way to wash a sponge is with soap and water. We also love BeautyBlender’s vegan liquid sponge cleaner.
And last but not the least, always wet your makeup sponge before using it. One of the most common mistakes people make is applying makeup with a dry sponge. For the sponge to work and not soak up all your foundation, it should be thoroughly damp.
How We Review Vegan Makeup Sponges
We review vegan makeup sponges based on the following criteria:
- Ingredients: We prefer vegan makeup sponges that are free of excess chemicals and artificial dyes. We only list latex-free vegan makeup sponges that are safe for everyone.
- Design: A vegan makeup sponge should have a wide enough area for convenient blending whilst having some sharper and smaller edges to access all corners of the face.
- Price: We list makeup sponges in every possible price range from affordable vegan makeup sponges to more high-end vegan sponges.
Why Trust Us
Vegan Avenue has been reviewing vegan makeup tools, including vegan makeup sponges, for over 2 years. None of our reviews has been incentivized by any brand or retailer. We personally test out the market-leading vegan makeup sponges and write up our honest opinion.
FAQ About Vegan Makeup Sponges
Makeup sponges are usually vegan and made from polyurethane foam. But it’s nevertheless better to prefer makeup sponges with a certified vegan label since many brands still test their products on animals.
The best selection of vegan makeup sponges is available on Amazon, Sephora, and Ulta.
Beautyblender Original Makeup Sponge is the best vegan makeup sponge.
BeautyBlender is not a fully vegan company but their makeup sponges are all vegan and cruelty-free.
No. While the Infallible Blend sponge is made from vegan-friendly ingredients, L’Oréal Paris is a company that tests on animals. None of their products can be considered vegan.
No. Sephora Collection’s makeup sponges are free of animal ingredients but Sephora Collection still tests on animals.
Yes. Ulta Beauty’s makeup sponges are vegan and cruelty-free.
Vegan makeup sponges make applying makeup so much more enjoyable. Once you get used to a sponge, applying foundation with fingers feels medieval.
We hope you enjoyed our collection of the best cruelty-free and vegan makeup sponges. We love the vegan makeup sponges from Beautyblender, Tarte, and EcoTools.
As we find new vegan makeup sponges, we will add the best ones to this list.
See also: Vegan Makeup Brushes
Main image: courtesy of Beautyblender