Moisturizer is the central part of your skincare routine. A face cream keeps the skin supple, supports the skin’s protective layer, and restores its barrier properties.
Today, you can find a great selection of vegan moisturizers to choose from. In 2023, there is nothing animal products can do for moisturizers that plants cannot.
So buckle up and let’s dive into the world of the best vegan moisturizers out there. From Drunk Elephant to Acure, find the perfect vegan face cream for your skin.
All products below are vegan and cruelty-free, meaning they are free of animal-derived ingredients and have not been tested on animals. 💚
Best Vegan Moisturizers 2023
Here are the best vegan moisturizers from Youth To The People, Milk Makeup, Biossance, Drunk Elephant, and other top skincare brands.
- Best Overall: Youth To The People Superfood Air-Whip Moisture Cream
- Best Runner-Up: Milk Makeup Vegan Milk Moisturizer
- Best Organic: Eminence Apricot Calendula Nourishing Cream
- Best Affordable: The Ordinary Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA
- Best Anti-Aging: Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Anti-Wrinkle Moisturizer
- Best For Dry Skin: Biossance Squalane + Omega Repair Cream
- Best For Oily Skin: First Aid Beauty Hello FAB Coconut Water Cream
- Best For Combination Skin: Drunk Elephant Protini Polypeptide Moisturizer
- Best For Sensitive Skin: Andalou Naturals 1000 Roses Beautiful Day Cream
- Best For Acne-Prone Skin: Versed Dew Point Moisturizing Gel Cream
- Best For Men: Knight Co. Complete Face Moisturizer
Best Vegan Moisturizer Overall
Superfood Air-Whip Moisture Cream is a fantastic vegan moisturizer. Made with kale, green tea, and vegan hyaluronic acid, the cream feels really fresh and light on the skin. It gives beautiful hydration without feeling greasy.
We recommend this vegan face cream for all skin types, including sensitive skin. It’s a perfect vegan moisturizer for the summer and a great all-year moisturizer for normal, oily, and combination skin types. See our full review here. Youth To The People Superfood Air-Whip Moisture Cream is the best vegan moisturizer.
- What we like: lightweight consistency, fresh smell, very hydrating
- What we don’t like: not hydrating enough for dry skin
- What reviews say: perfect for oily skin types, real moisture boost during the cold season
Key ingredients: kale, spinach, green tea, alfalfa, vitamins C and E | Main benefits: nourishing, hydrating | Features: vegan, recyclable packaging, fragrance-free, made in the USA
Best Vegan Moisturizer Runner-Up
Our runner-up is a more nourishing vegan day cream from Milk Makeup. The vegan moisturizer is perfect for winter. It’s made with plant milk from argan, fig, and oats and coupled with shea butter, grapeseed oil, and vegan squalane. The skin feels hydrated and well-fed after use.
- What we like: little amount works wonders, absorbs quickly
- What we don’t like: thick consistency
- What reviews say: skin feels very hydrated all day, leaves a glowing complexion
Key ingredients: desert milk (Kalahari melon, baobab, jojoba, and aloe vera), argan milk, fig milk, hyaluronic acid | Main benefits: softening, hydrating, nourishing | Features: vegan, fragrance-free, gluten-free, made in the USA
Best Organic Vegan Moisturizer
This certified organic vegan moisturizer is packed with beautiful plant-based extracts like apricots and flax seeds. The natural vegan cream has great regenerative properties to reveal healthier and glowing skin. The cream is also suitable for sensitive skin.
- What we like: softens small lines, removes redness
- What we don’t like: uncomfortable packaging
- What reviews say: great for dry skin, works well in a cold climate
Key ingredients: apricot, yarrow herb, echinacea, flax seed, cocoa butter | Main benefits: hydrating, smoothening | Features: vegan, sustainable, biodynamic ingredients, organic, gluten-free, soy-free, artificial fragrance-free, made in the EU
Best Affordable Vegan Moisturizer
Whether you have sensitive, dry, oily, normal, or combination skin – this affordable vegan moisturizer fits everyone. This natural vegan moisturizer has hyaluronic acid, 11 amino acids, fatty acids, and other essential ingredients designed to plump your skin with moisture.
We love how fast-absorbing and non-greasy this formula is. Plus, it includes no silicones, retinol, parabens, oil, fatty alcohols, fragrance, or sulfates.
- What we like: it’s affordable, hydrating
- What we don’t like: can make the skin look greasy
- What reviews say: a great daytime moisturizer, works well under makeup
Key ingredients: hyaluronic acid, arginine, sodium PCA, PCA, lactates, lactic acid, and minerals | Main benefits: hydrating, brightening | Features: vegan, silicone-free, alcohol-free, gluten-free, fragrance-free, made in Canada
Best Anti-Aging Vegan Moisturizer
When we age, we need to deal with fine lines, wrinkles, loss of firmness and increased dryness. Stem Cellular is a vegan moisturizer targets those multiple signs of aging at once. And all that with natural organic ingredients.
This anti-aging vegan face cream is made with organic plant stem cells and resveratrol from grapeseed to hydrate, plump, and firm mature skin. The cream also includes vitamin C to brighten the skin and improve skin tone. Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Anti-Wrinkle Moisturizer is the best vegan moisturizer for aging skin.
- What we like: reduces fine lines, organic ingredients
- What we don’t like: strong citrus smell
- What reviews say: great for really dry and sensitive skin, helps with small wrinkles
Key ingredients: fruit stem cells blend, resveratrol, grape juice, jojoba oil | Main benefits: hydrating, skin firming| Features: vegan, sustainable packaging, organic ingredients, artificial fragrance-free, artificial colors-free, made in the USA
Best Vegan Moisturizer For Dry Skin
This luxurious vegan moisturizer from Biossance offers immediate relief for dry skin. Your skin will feel instantly hydrated, plump, and comfortable – and the feeling lasts. The cream combines our favorite hydrators: vegan squalane, omega fatty acids, and skin-repairing ceramides.
- What we like: hydrating, absorbs quickly into the skin
- What we don’t like: strong specific smell
- What reviews say: calms extra sensitive and dry skin, great as day or night cream
Key ingredients: squalane, ceramides and fatty acids, hyaluronic acid, sugarcane | Main benefits: softening, hydrating, brightening | Features: vegan, fragrance-free, sustainable, made in the USA
Best Vegan Moisturizer For Oily Skin
Oily skin should always go for oil-free vegan moisturizers to avoid clogged pores. Such as this beautiful Hello FAB Coconut Water Cream from First Aid Beauty. Made with refreshing coconut water, this bestselling vegan face cream hydrates oily skin without feeling heavy.
- What we like: mattifying effect, pleasant smell
- What we don’t like: can make the skin tingle
- What reviews say: good for oily skin, light texture that does not clog pores
Key ingredients: coconut water, sodium hyaluronate (hyaluronic acid), alteromonas ferment filtrate | Main benefits: mattifying, hydrating, smoothening | Features: vegan, artificial colors-free, fragrance-free, alcohol-free, gluten-free, nut-free, made in the USA
Best Vegan Moisturizer For Combination Skin
Combination skin will benefit greatly from the Protini Polypeptide Moisturizer. This vegan moisturizer hydrates the skin while smoothening skin tone and texture. Packed with peptides, amino acids, and growth factors, combo skin will feel balanced and healthy.
- What we like: lightweight consistency, great for different skin types
- What we don’t like: sticky feeling on the skin
- What reviews say: works well together with other products, skin feels very hydrated
Key ingredients: acetyl glutamine, soybean folic acid ferment extract, pygmy waterlily stem cell extract, signal peptide complex (growth factors) | Main benefits: hydrating, brightening, nourishing | Features: vegan, fragrance-free, silicone-free, essential oils free, made in the USA
Best Vegan Moisturizer For Sensitive Skin
Andalou Naturals 1000 Roses Day Cream is the best vegan moisturizer for sensitive skin. This silky cream uses only clean natural ingredients such as alpine rose stem cells and aloe vera. Sensitive and distressed skin will feel soothed and hydrated.
- What we like: absorbs quickly into the skin, light rose hint
- What we don’t like: does not work with very dry skin
- What reviews say: smoothes fine lines, calms the sensitive skin
Key ingredients: alpine rose, apple, grape stem cells, rosehip oil, pomegranate | Main benefits: softening, smoothening | Features: vegan, gluten-free, artificial fragrance-free, non-GMO
Best Vegan Moisturizer For Acne-Prone Skin
Acne-prone skin is usually on the oily side and needs a lightweight oil-free vegan moisturizer. Versed’s vegan gel moisturizer Dew Point vegan gel cream with aloe and green tea is perfect for blemish-prone skin. It gives good hydration, absorbs fast, and does not irritate the skin or clog pores.
- What we like: lightweight consistency but hydrates very well, improves the skin texture
- What we don’t like: contains gluten (wheat germ oil)
- What reviews say: hydrates and has a cooling effect on the skin, long-lasting on oily skin
Key ingredients: green tea extract, aloe leaf juice, hyaluronic acid | Main benefits: hydrating, smoothening, brightening | Features: vegan, non-comedogenic, artificial fragrances free, silicone-free
Best Vegan Moisturizer For Men
Looking for a vegan moisturizer for men? Knight Co. Complete Face Moisturizer is a winner on our list. Above all, this natural vegan cream offers superb hydration with anti-aging benefits. And it has a natural finish.
The cream is made with aloe vera, sunflower seed oil, antioxidants, and vitamin E to protect and hydrate the skin. The formula suits both bearded men and shaved faces. Made with soothing ingredients, it is great for after shaving to prevent redness and irritation.
- What we like: natural ingredients and no fragrance, hydrates and absorbs quickly into skin
- What we don’t like: not hydrating enough for very dry skin
- What reviews say: works the best with normal to oily skin, improves the skin quality and appearance
Key ingredients: aloe vera, apricot, sunflower seed, carrot seed, jojoba oil, olive | Main benefits: hydrating, smoothening, nourishing | Features: vegan, fragrance-free, made in the USA
Best Tinted Vegan Moisturizer
BareMinerals Complexion Rescue is such a great multifunctional product. It combines the benefits of a moisturizer, primer, foundation, and sunscreen with SPF30. And while having all these benefits, the cream feels surprisingly weightless on the skin.
BareMinerals Complexion Rescue is the best vegan tinted moisturizer. It uses hyaluronic acid, olive-derived squalane, and mineral-based sunscreen for protected and hydrated skin. The natural mineral pigment leaves you with a healthy and glowing finish.
- What we like: natural but good coverage, does not settle into lines
- What we don’t like: small shade range for fair skin types
- What reviews say: leaves a nice dewy finish, fast absorbing, and easy to use
Key ingredients: hyaluronic acid, olive-derived squalane, mineral-based sunscreen | Main benefits: smoothening, hydrating, covering | Features: vegan, oil-free, non-comedogenic, artificial fragrance-free, gluten-free
Best Vegan Moisturizer With SPF
Dermalogica has made the best vegan moisturizer with SPF. It’s on the expensive side but worth every penny. The cream is so light. It hydrates and strengthens your skin with antioxidants and peptides. The broad spectrum defense protects you against harmful UVA and UVB rays.
- What we like: hydrates even very dry skin types, long-lasting for a full day
- What we don’t like: does not go with oily skin
- What reviews say: lightweight consistency but skin feels very hydrated, gives a glowy look
Key ingredients: peptides, antioxidants/white tea, hyaluronic acid | Main benefits: hydrating, protecting from the UV light | Features: vegan, SPF 50, gluten-free, artificial fragrance-free, artificial colors-free, made in the USA
Best Fragrance-Free Vegan Moisturizer
This fragrance-free vegan face cream from Skinfix is a bestseller for a reason. Peptides, lipids, hyaluronic acid, and shea butter hydrate and firm your skin well. The skin feels glowing and plump with moisture. The perfume-free vegan cream fits all ages and skin types.
- What we like: refreshed feeling, makes the face soft and hydrated
- What we don’t like: the refill bottle is not comfortable to use
- What reviews say: only a small amount of product is needed, helps with sensitive skin
Key ingredients: hydrating triple lipid complex, firming nutri peptide blend, plumping seaweed hyaluronate blend | Main benefits: hydrating, smoothening, softening | Features: vegan, gluten-free, fragrance-free, made in Canada
Best Plastic-Free Vegan Moisturizer
Ethique is a sustainable vegan skincare brand from New Zealand. Their plastic-free vegan moisturizer is solid as a soap. And while the formula might feel odd in the beginning, the cream really works. You just need to warm it in your hands a bit.
Made with ethically sourced kokum butter, cupuacu butter, and coconut oil, the soft cream hydrates and nourishes the skin deeply. This natural zero-waste face cream is made without alcohol, retinol, glycerin, dimethicone, and parabens.
- What we like: easy to apply, can be used as a primer
- What we don’t like: feels oily on the skin
- What reviews say: thick consistency that gives a lot of hydration, softens fine lines
Key ingredients: kokum butter, babassu oil, hyaluronic acid, vitamin B5 | Main benefits: hydrating, softening | Features: vegan, fragrance-free, zero waste product, made in New Zealand
Vegan Moisturizers By Skin Concern
- Best For Eczema: First Aid Beauty Intense Hydration Ultra Repair Cream
- Best For Rosacea: Purito Centella Unscented Recovery Cream
- Best For Irritation: Manyo Factory Our Vegan Heartleaf Cica Cream
- Best For Acne: Peach Slices Acne Oil-Free Moisturizer
- Best For Scars: Derma E Scar Gel With Panthenol & Allantoin
- Best For Dark Spots: Bliss Bright Idea Vitamin C & Tri-Peptide Moisturizer
- Best For Dullness: Acure Brightening Day Cream
- Best For Pores: Korres Pomegranate Pore Blurring Gel Moisturizer
- Best For Wrinkles: Dr. Dennis Gross Advanced Retinol + Ferulic Intense Wrinkle Cream
Vegan Moisturizers By Ingredient
Do you know already which ingredients your skin likes? Sometimes it’s good to stick with what works. Here are some good vegan moisturizers starring different vegan active ingredients.
- With ceramides: Pacific Beauty Vegan Ceramide Barrier Face Cream
- With peptides: Olehenriksen Strength Trainer Peptide Boost Moisturizer
- With hyaluronic acid: Glow Recipe Plum Plump Hyaluronic Acid Moisturizer
- With niacinamide: Naturium Niacinamide Gel Cream 5%
- With vegan squalane: Biossance Squalane + Omega Repair Cream
- With vegan collagen: Derma E Advanced Peptides and Collagen Moisturizer
- With vegan glycerin: Paula’s Choice Water-Infusing Electrolyte Moisturizer
- With vitamin C: Bliss Bright Idea Vitamin C & Tri-Peptide Moisturizer
- With vitamin E: The Body Shop Vitamin E Moisture Cream
- With retinol: Drunk Elephant A-Passioni Retinol Cream
- With bio-retinol: Ren Bio Retinoid Youth Cream
- With algae: Osea Atmosphere Protection Cream
Best Vegan Moisturizer Brands
These brands have the best selection of vegan moisturizers and face creams for every skin type and skin problem.
Acure is an American vegan skincare brand that is organic, natural, and affordable. Acure makes a variety of bestselling vegan moisturizers from their Brightening Day Cream to Seriously Soothing Cloud Cream.
Derma E is a natural vegan skincare brand from Southern California. The brand became an overnight success thanks to its Vitamin E face cream. Derma E moisturizers are all vegan and free of parabens, sulfates, petrolatum, mineral oils, and phthalates.
Pacifica is one of the leaders in clean vegan skincare. From vegan collagen creams to vegan retinoid face creams, Pacifica has found a vegan alternative to every popular ingredient. Their vegan moisturizers also use nature’s superfoods like kale, seaweed, and quinoa.
Vegan moisturizers from Biossance star sugarcane-derived vegan squalane. Packed with vitamins, omega fatty acids, peptides, and probiotics, Biossance offers great-quality natural vegan face creams, oils, and serums – especially for dry skin.
Herbivore was born in Seattle to help one of its founders heal their eczema. Today, Herbivore is known for its beautiful vegan face creams that appeal to all senses. Shop vegan creams, serums, and face oils to hydrate and nourish every skin type.
What Makes A Moisturizer Vegan
A vegan moisturizer is a face cream with no animal-derived components. In addition, vegan moisturizers must be cruelty-free and not tested on animals.
The most common animal products found in vegan moisturizers are beeswax, animal-derived glycerin, lanolin, squalene, elastin, and stearic acid.
- Beeswax – a waxy substance produced by honeybees. Wax is often added to moisturizers to make the formula richer and thicker.
- Glycerin – a popular emollient made from animal fat. Glycerine can also be also derived from plants such as coconut or soya.
- Lanolin – also known as sheep wool wax or wool grease. It is often used in lip balms, lipsticks, hair products, and moisturizers.
- Squalene – emollient made out of shark liver fats. It is widely used in anti-aging skincare products. Squalene can also be derived from olives or other plants.
- Elastin – a protein derived from animal muscles commonly used in mature makeup and anti-aging skincare. Elastin is similar to collagen which is also animal-derived.
- Stearic acid – this saturated fatty acid is often derived from sheep, cows, and pigs’ stomachs. Yet, stearic acid can also be plant-derived.
Most of the animal products used in moisturizers are emollients. Emollients are easy to replace by plant oils, most commonly shea butter, cocoa butter, avocado oil, and aloe vera. Often, plant oils are even richer in vitamins and antioxidants than animal ingredients.
If you are looking to buy a vegan moisturizer, make sure it is certified vegan or at least labeled vegan. Many ingredients such as glycerin or stearic acid can be both vegan and animal-derived, so you want to be sure you are making the right choice.
What To Look For In A Vegan Moisturizer
When buying a vegan moisturizer, you need to first know your skin type. Do you have dry, oily, or combination skin? Or if you experience no oiliness or dryness at all, you are one of the few lucky ones with ‘normal skin’.
Dry skin needs a more nourishing and oily vegan moisturizer. Oily skin, on the other hand, needs an oil-free vegan moisturizer that wouldn’t clog pores. People aged 25+ should also consider a vegan moisturizer with anti-aging properties.
For more severe skin problems such as acne, eczema, or rosacea, it is best to look for hypoallergenic vegan moisturizers. Sensitive skin should avoid creams with heavy oils, alcohol, fragrance, and harsh additives to avoid blockages, dryness, and irritation.
How We Review Vegan Moisturizers
Our team at Vegan Avenue reviews vegan moisturizers by looking at different aspects of the cream. Our rating system consists of these questions:
- What are the key hydrators in that vegan moisturizer? Good active ingredients are everything. Be it vegan glycerin, hyaluronic acid, peptides, niacinamide, or ceramides – we expect to see at least one tested and true hydrating ingredient in the cream.
- What are the chosen plant-based ingredients? We also review the choice of plant-based extracts and oils in the vegan moisturizer. We love vegan creams that are rich in natural fatty acids, vitamins, and antioxidants.
- What chemicals does the moisturizer use? Not all additives are evil but the fewer synthetic fillers, the better. We try to steer clear of petrochemicals, synthetic additives, fragrances, or artificial dyes in vegan moisturizers.
- What skin type is the vegan moisturizer for? Every skin needs the right moisturizer. We try to find at least one suitable vegan face cream for each skin type and skin issue. What is good for oily skin is usually not hydrating enough for dry skin and so on.
Vegan Moisturizer Comparison
|Brand||Product||Type||Key Ingredients||Main Benefits|
|Youth To The People||Superfood Air-Whip Moisture Cream||Overall||Kale, Spinach, Green Tea||Nourishing, Hydrating|
|Milk Makeup||Vegan Milk Moisturizer||Overall||Desert milk, Argan Milk||Softening, Hydrating|
|Eminence||Apricot Calendula Nourishing Cream||Organic||Hydrating, Smoothening||Hyaluronic Acid, Arginine|
|Juice Beauty||Stem Cellular Anti-Wrinkle Moisturizer||For Aging Skin||Fruit Stem Cells Blend, Resveratrol||Hydrating, Skin Tightening|
|Biossance||Squalane + Omega Repair Cream||For Dry Skin||Squalane, Ceramides||Softening, Brightening|
|First Aid Beauty||Hello FAB Coconut Water Cream||For Oily Skin||Coconut Water, Hyaluronic Acid||Mattifying, Hydrating|
|Drunk Elephant||Protini Polypeptide Moisturizer||For Combination Skin||Acetyl Glutamine, Soybean Folic Acid Ferment Extract||Hydrating, Brightening|
|Andalou Naturals||1000 Roses Beautiful Day Cream||For Sensitive Skin||Alpine Rose, Apple||Softening, Smoothening|
|Versed||Dew Point Moisturizing Gel Cream||For Acne-Prone Skin||Aloe Leaf Juice, Hyaluronic Acid||Hydrating, Smoothening|
|Knight Co.||Complete Face Moisturizer||For Men||Aloe Vera, Apricot||Hydrating, Nourishing|
|BareMinerals||Complexion Rescue Tinted Moisturizer||Tinted||Hyaluronic Acid, Squalane,||Covering|
Why Trust Us
At Vegan Avenue, our key area of expertise is vegan skincare. And a vegan moisturizer is at the very core of the vegan skincare topic. Thus, our team takes reviewing and finding vegan moisturizers very seriously.
Over the two years, we have tried tens of vegan face creams for every skin type and skin concern. We try to match our own personal experience with the hundreds of reviews we read online to arrive at the most objective rating possible.
FAQ About Vegan Moisturizers
A vegan moisturizer is a face cream with no animal-derived ingredients such as animal glycerine, squalane, or lanolin. Vegan moisturizers are also not tested on animals.
Vegan face cream can be better for your skin. Instead of animal byproducts, vegan moisturizers use plant-based oils and emollients which are generally more gentle to the human skin.
The best vegan face moisturizer is Youth To The People Superfood Air-Whip Moisture Cream. The natural cream makes your skin soft and hydrated and it fits all skin types.
Many great moisturizers today are vegan. For instance, these bestselling moisturizers are vegan-friendly: Youth To The People Superfood Air-Whip Moisture Cream, First Aid Beauty Hello Fab Coconut Water Cream, and Drunk ElephantProtini™ Polypeptide Moisturizer.
Moisturizing is important to maintain the skin’s natural moisture level and protect it from external factors. Moisturizing helps restore the skin’s natural elasticity and prevent premature aging.
Moisturizer is one of the most important steps in a skincare routine.
While many vegans see their skin improve by quitting dairy, veganism is not a miracle diet for your skin. Your skin can still benefit from vegan skincare.
We cannot stop the process of aging but we can influence how our skin looks in time. A vegan face cream goes a long way to keep your skin hydrated and healthy.
We love the vegan moisturizers from Milk Makeup, Drunk Elephant, First Aid Beauty, Acure, and other cruelty-free and vegan brands.
Hope you found your new favorite vegan facial cream from this selection. If not, we are sure to keep improving this list with the best vegan moisturizers out there.
See also: Vegan Night Creams
Article update on November 24 (2022): Added a comparison table
Article update on July 21 (2022): We switched the overall best vegan moisturizer from Milk Makeup Vegan Milk Moisturizer to Youth To The People Superfood Air-Whip Moisture Cream. New moisturizers were also added to the organic and acne-prone skin categories. Lastly, we created a new section to explain our product reviewing process.