Blackheads are small bumps on the skin that happen when hair follicles are filled with dead skin and excess oil. Also called open comedones, blackheads are technically a type of acne.
Probably everyone has battled with blackheads at some point in their life. As an adult woman, I still get blackheads on my nose, and keeping them away requires my constant attention.
See also: Vegan Skincare For Pores
To keep your skin clear, we have listed the best vegan skincare for blackheads. Shop cruelty-free vegan skincare products that clarify the skin, unclog pores and keep blackheads away.
PS All products below are vegan and cruelty-free, meaning they are free of animal-derived ingredients and have not been tested on animals.
Best Vegan Skincare Products For Blackheads
Here are the best vegan skincare products for treating blackheads in 2024.
Paula’s Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant is the best vegan skincare product for blackheads. If you use it consistently, you are going to see real results. Salicylic acid clears up blackheads by removing dirt, dead skin, and oil from pores.
You can read our review of the Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant here. If you have oily, acne-prone, or combination skin, this vegan exfoliant also pairs well with Clear Pore Normalizing Cleanser and Clear Oil-Free Moisturizer for even more impact on blackheads.
The Inkey List 2% Salicylic Acid Cleanser is the best vegan cleanser for blackheads. It gently exfoliates the skin and clears blackheads without stripping your skin of moisture. For deep cleansing the skin from blackheads, we also recommend the brand’s Kaolin Clay Mask.
Sulfur is also an effective vegan ingredient for treating blackheads. Dermalogica’s Blackhead Clearing Fizz Mask pairs sulfur with clay to really clarify congested skin and clogged pores. You might not love the fizzing sensation but this mask really works for surface-level blackheads.
Another wonderful vegan face mask for blackheads is from Youth To The People. A cocktail of clay, salicylic acid, and niacinamide, it purifies pores and clears up blackheads without drying out the skin. It glides on smooth and the skin feels fresh and clean after.
This bestselling vegan niacinamide serum from the Ordinary does not target blackheads but it sure helps prevent them. The affordable serum gives the skin some lightweight hydration while helping to balance sebum production and stopping blackheads from forming.
If you struggle with blackheads, it is crucial that you don’t forget to use vegan sunscreen. UV damage can really cause clogged pores to oxidize in the sun which worsens the blackhead problem. As a solution, we recommend this lightweight, oil-free vegan SPF from Murad.
Best Vegan Skincare Ingredients For Blackheads
Here are the best vegan skincare ingredients for treating blackheads.
- Salicylic acid – Salicylic acid is a vegan beta hydroxy acid that works best for treating blackheads. It exfoliates the skin and unclogs pores, giving your skin a smooth and poreless look. See more vegan BHA skincare.
- Glycolic acid – This natural AHA promotes cellular turnover and gets rid of dead skin cells, thus keeping blackheads and congestion at bay. Derived from sugarcane, glycolic acid is vegan. See more vegan glycolic acid skincare here.
- Tea tree oil – Tea tree oil is a natural vegan antiseptic that penetrates your pores and dries out blackheads. It’s an excellent vegan ingredient to add to cleaners.
- Clay – Clay helps attracts dirt, excess oil, and dead skin from pores. Vegan clay masks (especially Kaolin and bentonite clay) are a good way to draw out surface-level blackheads.
- Sulfur – Sulfur helps get rid of blackheads by removing dead skin cells and excess oil trapped in pores. This natural vegan element is also an excellent anti-acne ingredient.
- Niacinamide – Niacinamide does not target blackheads but it is great for preventing blackheads as it regulates sebum production and gently hydrates the skin. Niacinamide in skincare is vegan. See more vegan niacinamide skincare here.
- Hyaluronic acid – Hyaluronic acid is another good hydrating ingredient that helps prevent blackheads by hydrating the skin and regulating excess oil. In skincare, hyaluronic acid is typically vegan. See more vegan hyaluronic acid skincare.
- Aloe vera – Aloe vera is a plant-based ingredient that includes natural salicylic acid. It helps balance the skin and prevent blackheads and whiteheads.
Vegan Skincare Routine For Blackheads
When building a vegan skincare routine to reduce blackheads, what you need is a good vegan cleanser and vegan exfoliator. The best thing for blackheads is salicylic acid, so try to include this ingredient in your daily regimen either in the cleansing or exfoliating phase.
Vegan face masks with clay or sulfur can also be effective in drawing out more superficial blackheads and giving your skin a more purified and poreless look. Vegan skincare products with tea tree oil also help dry out blackheads and unclog pores.
When it comes to vegan moisturizers, go for niacinamide. Niacinamide keeps your skin hydrated while also helping to regulate oil production and keep future blackheads away. Do not forget to use an oil-free vegan sunscreen to prevent UV-induced enlargened pores and blackheads.
Manual blackhead extraction is also a way of getting rid of blackheads. To avoid damaging your skin, comedone extractions should preferably be done by a trained professional (dermatologist, aesthetician) who uses the right methods and sterile tools.
FAQ About Vegan Skincare For Blackheads
Vegan skincare can be good for blackheads as the best ingredients for treating blackheads and unclogging pores are already vegan-friendly (e.g salicylic acid, glycolic acid).
The best skincare for blackheads includes Paula’s Choice 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant, The Inkey List Salicylic Acid Cleanser, and Dermalogica Blackhead Clearing Fizz Mask.
Yes. This exfoliant is vegan and cruelty-free.
Getting rid of blackheads takes time but it is entirely possible. It’s about building a consistent vegan skincare routine that unclogs pores from dirt and dead skin and regulates sebum production to keep blackheads from coming back.
We hope you enjoyed our collection of vegan skincare for blackheads. I have tried out most of these products and have been very positively surprised by the outcome. My very favorite product is the Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant from Paula’s Choice.
Even though there is no miracle peel-off mask that makes blackheads vanish, there are science-backed active ingredients that fight congestion and blackheads with everything they’ve got. Stay tuned for more blackhead-fighting vegan skincare products in the future.
See also: Best Vegan Cleansers
Article update on May 04 (2023): Fact checked and medically reviewed by MD Shimona Garg
Article update on February 18 (2023): Added more references
Article update on February 20 (2023): Included more information on comedone extraction