Eczema is the name for a category of eczematous skin conditions which include conditions such as atopic dermatitis, nummular dermatitis, hand eczema and more.
Eczema is an inflammatory skin condition that has no cure. That being so, there are a number of topical skincare products that can alleviate common eczema symptoms.
Vegan skincare is an excellent way to care for eczema-prone skin. Often made with skin sensitivities in mind, vegan skincare products can aid with dryness, itchiness, flakiness, scaly patches, and irritation caused by eczema.
Here is the best vegan skincare for eczema in 2023. Most of these products and ingredients are also approved by the Natural Eczema Association.
Best Vegan Skincare For Eczema
Below are the best vegan skincare products and brands to help with eczema flare-ups.
First Aid Beauty
First Aid Beauty is one of the most preferred skincare brands for eczema sufferers. A great many products from First Aid Beauty are also vegan-friendly.
For eczema, we highly recommend their three vegan bestsellers: Ultra Repair Cream, Gentle Cleanser, and Instant Oatmeal Mask. These products are also clean and allergen-free.
The products are made with soothing ingredients such as colloidal oatmeal, allantoin, and panthenol. These ingredients can significantly relieve the dryness and itchiness of eczema.
- Ultra Repair Cream: Amazon, Sephora
- Pure Skin Face Cleanser: Amazon, Sephora
- Ultra Repair Instant Oatmeal Mask: Amazon
The new fragrance-free ceramide line from Pacifica Beauty is also making waves in the eczema community. Pacifica products are clean, effective, affordable, and always vegan.
Ceramide-based skincare is proven to treat sensitive skin conditions such as eczema. Ceramides help heal the skin’s protective barrier making the skin less reactive to the environment.
- Vegan Ceramide Barrier Cream: Amazon, Ulta
- Vegan Ceramide Extra Gentle Face Wash: Amazon, Ulta
- Vegan Ceramide Barrier Eye Cream: Amazon, Ulta
- Vegan Ceramide Face Oil: Amazon, Ulta
Biossance is one of my personal favorite vegan skincare brands for dry skin. Their skincare is natural, clean, and also safe for sensitive and eczema-prone skin.
For eczema, we recommend their Omega Repair Cream. Made with vegan squalane, ceramides, and fatty acids, this moisturizer helps restore, soothe, and nourish the skin.
Their clean vegan Squalane Oil is also great at alleviating eczema symptoms such as flaky patches and itchiness. The oil is also recommended by the National Eczema Association.
- 100% Squalane Oil: Amazon, Sephora
- Squalane + Omega Repair Cream: Amazon, Sephora
- Squalane + Amino Aloe Gentle Cleanser: Amazon, Sephora
- Squalane + Zinc Sheer Mineral Sunscreen: Amazon, Sephora
Derma E is a natural vegan skincare brand from South California. Much of its vegan skincare is ideal for eczema as the brand steers away from harsh additives and chemicals.
Derma E Eczema Relief Cream is the best vegan eczema cream. It moisturizes itchy, dry, red, and flaky skin with colloidal oatmeal and a variety of plant extracts. The cream moisturizes well without being greasy. Derma E Eczema Relief Cream is the best vegan eczema cream.
They also have great Vitamin E and CBD products to calm eczema-prone skin. We especially like their vitamin E oil that nourishes and protects the skin.
- Eczema Relief Cream: Amazon, Official site
- Itch Relief Lotion: Amazon, Official site
- Vitamin E Skin Oil: Official site
- Calming CBD Cleanser: Official site
Canadian brand Skinfix also offers quality vegan skincare to relieve symptoms of eczema and dermatitis. They have even launched a special Eczema+ skincare line.
While the Eczema+ line is not fully vegan, some of its products are. Made with ceramides and sweet almond oil, the products hydrate, protect, nourish, and soothe eczema-prone skin.
- Eczema+ Hand Repair Cream: Amazon, Sephora
- Eczema+ Extra Strength Body Cream: Amazon, Sephora
- Eczema+ Foaming Oil Body Wash: Sephora
PS Contrary to what Sephora suggests, Skinfix Eczema+ Face Balm and Body Balm are not vegan and use beeswax.
If no other skincare products have been able to manage your eczema, you can always try vegan CBD skincare. One of our favorite vegan CBD brands is Prima Skincare.
While there needs to be more research done on the positive effects of CBD for eczema, some studies have shown that it can reduce itchiness and clear the skin.
- Beyond Body Oil: Sephora, Official site
- Night Magic Oil: Sephora, Official site
- Daily Supplement: Official site
Best Vegan Skincare Products For Eczema
Here are the best vegan skincare products for eczema-prone skin.
- Best Vegan Moisturizer: First Aid Beauty Intense Hydration Ultra Repair Cream
- Best Vegan Lotion: Acure Everyday Eczema Lotion
- Best Vegan Cleanser: Pacifica Vegan Ceramide Extra Gentle Face Wash
- Best Vegan Toner: Paula’s Choice Skin Recovery Enriched Calming Toner
- Best Vegan Face Oil: Pura D’Or Organic Sunflower Seed Oil
- Best Vegan Face Mask: First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Instant Oatmeal Mask
- Best Vegan Serum: Glow Recipe Avocado Ceramide Recovery Serum
- Best Vegan Hand Cream: Skinfix Ezcema+ Hand Repair Cream
- Best Vegan Body Butter: Josie Maran Intensive Daily Repair Body Butter
- Best Vegan Petroleum Jelly: Solimo Petroleum Jelly
Best Vegan Skincare Ingredients For Eczema
To recap, here are the best vegan skincare ingredients for eczema. The only popular eczema soothing ingredient that vegans avoid is beeswax. The steroid-free ingredients below are good for vegans and nonvegans alike.
- Oatmeal: Colloidal oatmeal is one of the best ingredients to soothe and protect eczema-prone skin. The vegan ingredient has great anti-inflammatory benefits.
- Allantoin: Allantoin protects and conditions the skin making it an excellent addition to eczema products. It can be animal-derived but in skincare, it’s typically vegan.
- Panthenol: Panthenol is known to improve the itchiness, scaling, dryness, and redness from eczema, psoriasis, and atopic dermatitis. In skin care, panthenol is usually vegan.
- Ceramides: Vegan ceramides are excellent at repairing the defective skin barrier of eczema skin and improving overall skin health for eczema sufferers.
- Vitamin E: Topical vitamin E can also reduce inflammation for eczema and alleviate its main symptoms. Vitamin E is a vegan-friendly ingredient.
- Calendula: Calendula oil from marigold flowers is also known to soothe eczema thanks to its anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties.
- Petroleum jelly: While ethically a questionable product, petroleum jelly is a vegan product (provided it’s not tested on animals). It’s a long-known remedy for eczema-prone skin.
- Aloe vera: Aloe vera gel is also great for soothing eczema flare-ups. The vegan ingredient is also very affordable and easy to find anywhere in the world.
- Squalane: Squalane can be both animal-derived and plant-based. Either way, this natural emollient can provide gentle hydration for eczema and effectively calm the skin.
- Sunflower oil: Sunflower oil is one of the best natural remedies for eczema. It improves the skin barrier function, nourishes, and calms the skin.
- Coconut oil: Coconut oil is scientifically proven to calm down eczema by hydrating and protecting the skin. High in lauric acid, coconut oil has excellent antimicrobial and antioxidant properties.
- Sweet almond oil: Almond oil is also ideal for repairing eczema skin. It helps the skin lock in moisture and nourishes it with healthy vitamins and fatty acids.
- CBD: While there are not enough studies yet on the positive effects of cannabidiol for eczema, the evidence has started to mount. The ingredient can relieve skin stress, dryness, and redness from eczema.
FAQ About Vegan Skincare For Eczema
No skincare cures eczema but many vegan skincare products are designed to alleviate eczema symptoms such as dryness or itchiness.
The best vegan skincare for eczema is First Aid Beauty’s colloidal oatmeal skincare and Pacifica Beauty’s fragrance-free ceramide line.
The best vegan skincare ingredients for eczema include colloidal oatmeal, allantoin, panthenol, ceramides, and vitamin E.
No, it is not vegan and includes beeswax. Eczema+ line has currently three vegan products: Hand Repair Cream, Extra Strength Body Cream, and Foaming Oil Body Wash.
Yes. Everything from By Robin is vegan.
When dealing with eczema flare-ups, topical vegan skincare can be of great help. Rich in plant-based emollients, fatty acids, and soothing extracts, vegan skincare products can relieve itchiness, redness, and dry patches from eczema.
Our favorite vegan skincare for eczema comes from First Aid Beauty, Pacifica Beauty, and Biossance. As we find new vegan skincare products that aid with eczema, we will add our favorite ones to this list.
See also: Best Vegan Skincare For Sensitive Skin
Main image: courtesy of First Aid Beauty
Main references: National Eczema Association; Clinical, Cosmetic, and Investigational Dermatology; The Journal of Clinical and Aesthetic Dermatology; The Eczema Company; Eczema Society Of Canada; Medical News Today; Healthline.
Article update on May 04 (2023): Fact checked and medically reviewed by MD Shimona Garg
Article update on February 18 (2023): Added more references
Article update on February 20 (2023): Included coconut oil in the list of vegan skincare ingredients to reduce eczema symptoms