When choosing vegan skincare for oily skin, less is more.
Vegan skincare is often rich in nutrients and plant oils. While dry skin may happily drink it up, oily skin might end up with congested pores.
Luckily, the science of vegan skincare is well evolved. You can find many great vegan skincare products for oily skin. We have listed our favorites here.
First Aid Beauty
The Body Shop
Youth To The People
Dr. Dennis Gross
Best Vegan Skincare Ingredients For Oily Skin
These are the best vegan ingredients for oily skin. With these ingredients, you can get the best purifying, sebum curbing, lightly hydrating, and skin balancing properties the vegan way.
- Clay – clay is a great vegan ingredient for oily skin. When used in face masks and cleansers, clay absorbs excess oil and unclogs pores. As an earthy ingredient, clay is also vegan.
- Charcoal – similar to clay, charcoal is a great vegan-friendly ingredients for purifying oily skin. It removes bacteria and dead skin cells and reduces the appearance of pores.
- Retinol – retinol is a terrific ingredients for oily skin and mild acne. Retinol treats acne, prevents clogged pores and regulates oil production. In skincare, retinol is always vegan.
- Green Tea – green tea is rich in rich in EGCG polyphenol that is proven to reduce clogged pores and bacterial growth. The anti-androgenic ingredient lowers lipid levels.
- Kale – great as vegan food, great in skincare – kale is rich in vitamins C, E, and K. It is great for detoxifying pores and generally improving the appearance of oily skin.
- Tea Tree – tea tree has antiseptic properties that make it perfect for oily and blemish-prone skin. It is a great clarifying and balancing vegan skincare ingredients.
- BHAs – exfoliation is crucial for oily skin. By chaffing away dead skin cells, oily skin can look a lot clearer and healthier. The best vegan exfoliators for oily skin are oil-soluable BHAs like salicylic acid and mandelaic acid.
- Niacinamide – niacinamide is the best moisturizing ingredient for oily skin – and it’s also vegan. Niacinamide keeps oily skin hydrated while inhibiting excess sebum production
- Vegan Hyaluronic Acid – hyaluronic acid is another non-comedogenic emollient that keeps oily skin hydrated. Hyaluronic acid can be both vegan and animal-based.
Best Vegan Skincare Routine For Oily Skin
The best thing you can do for oily skin is to keep it clean and balanced. And vegan skincare products can easily help you achieve that.
Oily skin benefits most from washing your skin twice a day with a quality vegan cleanser. For the best result, follow the cleanser with an exfoliating vegan toner.
Oily skin should always opt for a lightweight, oil-free vegan moisturizer. Not all oils are comedogenic but it is not worth taking the risk.
Whatever you do, do not skip a moisturizer. When oily skin gets dehydrated, it might overcompensate with excess oil production, so you are in a bigger mess.
We also recommend adding vegan retinols to your skincare routine. A good retinol serum will keep oily skin clear and blemish-free while improving the skin tone and texture.
What To Look For In Vegan Skincare For Oily Skin
Widely speaking, there are two types of oily skin: acne-prone and not acne-prone. Vegan skincare lines for oily skin are usually based on that distinction.
Acne-prone oily skin should look for clarifying vegan skincare to reduce and prevent blemishes. Tea tree oil, retinol, and benzoyl peroxide are the key vegan ingredients to do that.
Oily skin without acne should opt for balancing vegan skincare to reduce shine and regulate sebum production. Clay, kale, and green tea extracts are good at that.
When buying vegan skincare for oily skin, you should also avoid plant oils that are rich in pore-clogging fatty acids. Sweet almond oil and olive oil are a few to avoid.
Best Vegan Skincare Brands For Oily Skin
These are the best cruelty-free and vegan skincare brands for oily skin. These companies have the best products lines tailored for the specific needs of oily skin.
LA-based Olehenriksen is a brand we always recommend for oily skin. Though not fully vegan, they have some wonderful vegan skincare products to balance and mattify the skin.
Above all, we recommend their balancing vegan cleanser that removes excess oil and unclogs pores. We love to pair the cleanser with their Oil Control Toner and Pore Remedy moisturizer.
- Cold Plunge Pore Remedy Moisturizer: Amazon, Sephora
- Find Your Balance Oil Control Cleanser: Amazon, Sephora
- Balancing Force Oil Control Toner: Amazon, Sephora
First Aid Beauty
First Aid Beauty has made an amazing vegan moisturizer for oily skin. This oil-free vegan face cream is made with refreshing coconut water that gives just enough hydration for oily skin.
We recommend oily skin to pair the cream with their beautiful red clay cleanser and AHA radiance pads. With this vegan trio, oily skin is will look healthier and clearer in no time.
- Hello FAB Coconut Water Cream: Amazon, Sephora
- Facial Radiance Pads With AHA: Amazon, Sephora
- Deep Cleanser With Red Clay: Amazon, Sephora
Herbivore is a 100% vegan skincare brand based in Seattle. From their selection, you will find some beautiful vegan skincare products for oily skin.
We love their Aquarius vegan face cream that balances hydration levels and deep-cleans congested pores. It feels super lightweight on the skin and absorbs quickly.
We also vouch for the Blue Tansy Invisible Pores clarifying vegan face mask with BHA and Jasmine Green Tea Oil Control Toner. Both help keep oily skin clear and balanced.
- Aquarius Pore Purifying Clarity Cream: Amazon, Sephora
- Blue Tansy Resurfacing Clarity Mask: Amazon, Sephora
- Jasmine Green Tea Oil Control Toner: Amazon, Sephora
Rihanna herself must have oily skin because her skincare line has some incredible vegan products for oily skin. We especially love their vegan cleanser.
The cleanser gets rid of excess oil, dirt, and makeup while refining pores. It also has vitamin C from Acerola cherries to give oily skin a healthy radiance and antioxidant protection.
We also recommend Hydra Vizor – a great invisible oil-free vegan moisturizer with sunscreen. For best results, pair it with the Fat Water pore-refining serum with niacinamide.
- Hydra Vizor Invisible Moisturizer SPF 30: Amazon, Sephora
- Fat Water Pore-Refining Toner Serum: Amazon, Sephora
- Total Cleans’r Makeup Removing Cleanser: Amazon, Sephora
The Body Shop
The Seaweed vegan moisturizer mattifies and balances oily skin and goes perfectly with the Seaweed vegan gel wash that washes away all impurities and excess oil.
Another staple for oily skin is the Himalayan Charcoal Purifying Glow Mask. The bestselling vegan mask deeply purifies skin leaving it refreshed and squeaky clean.
Not all products from The Body Shop are vegan but the essential ones are. All vegan products are clearly marked so and you can also use a vegan filter on their website.
- Seaweed Oil-Control Gel Cream: Amazon, Official Site
- Seaweed Cleansing Gel Wash: Amazon, Official Site
- Himalayan Charcoal Purifying Glow Mask: Amazon, Official Site
Cult-favorite skincare brand Paula’s Choice has two great skincare lines for oily skin: the Skin Balancing range for oily & combination skin and the Clear line for acne-prone oily skin.
While Paula’s Choice is not 100% vegan, it has many vegan products for oily skin. The Skin Balance range has only two NOT vegan products: Pore Reducing Toner and Oil-Absorbing Mask.
From Paula, we love the Invisible Finish vegan moisturizing gel and oil-reducing cleanser. The products also come in a comprehensive vegan Skin Balancing Essentials Kit.
For the best result, pair the Skin Balancing products with Paula’s bestselling BHA liquid exfoliant and vegan retinol serum.
- Skin Balancing Invisible Finish Moisture Gel: Amazon, Official Site
- Skin Balancing Oil-Reducing Cleanser: Amazon, Official Site
- Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant: Amazon, Official Site
- 0.3% Retinol + 2% Bakuchiol Treatment: Amazon, Official Site
If you are looking for affordable vegan skincare for oily skin, check out Pacifica Beauty. This cruelty-free vegan brand offers clean and effective skincare at drugstore prices.
From Pacifica, we love the Kale Detox face wash. It includes super green phytonutrients, clay, and coconut water that beautifully remove impurities and toxins from your skin.
Pair the face wash with the charcoal mask and oil-free moisturizer from the same range. Oily skin will get a lot of vegan goodness at a very low cost.
- Kale Detox Deep Cleaning Face Wash: Amazon, Official Site
- Kale Charcoal Super Green Detox Mask: Amazon, Official Site
- Kale Luxe Oil-Free Multi Cream: Amazon, Official Site
Youth To The People
Youth To The People is an entirely vegan brand that offers top-selling skincare for oily skin. The Los Angeles brand is always clean, natural, and eco-conscious.
While their Green Tea Cleanser is loved across all skin types, it works best for oily skin. It thoroughly cleans the skin, supports the pH balance, and prevents buildup in pores.
We recommend pairing the cleanser with their lightweight hyaluronic acid vegan moisturizer, clay mask, and mandelic acid exfoliator. The combo works well for oily skin.
- Superfood Air-Whip Moisture Cream: Amazon, Sephora
- Green Tea Superfood Antioxidant Cleanser: Amazon, Sephora
- Superclay Purify + Clear Power Mask: Amazon, Sephora
- Mandelic Acid + Superfood Unity Exfoliant: Amazon, Sephora
Dr. Dennis Gross
Dr. Dennis Gross is one of the most preferred skincare brands among oily and acne-prone skin types. The company is cruelty-free with a noteworthy range of vegan products.
For oily skin, we especially recommend the Alpha Beta line. It has some fantastic cleansing and pore refining gels and serums to balance and clarify oily skin.
While their Alpha Beta moisturizer is NOT vegan, these products are:
- Alpha Beta Pore Perfecting Cleansing Gel: Amazon, Sephora
- Alpha Beta Pore Perfecting & Refining Serum: Amazon, Sephora
- Alpha Beta Universal Daily Peel: Amazon, Sephora
Best Vegan Skincare Products For Oily Skin
Here are the best vegan skincare products for oily skin. Balance, cleanse, and hydrate your oily skin the right way with these quality skincare solutions.
Best Vegan Moisturizer For Oily Skin
This oil-free vegan moisturizer just works great on oily skin. Made with coconut water, it has a super light gel texture that feels really refreshing on the skin. Oily skin will love it since it hydrates without clogging pores. The formula is also clean and chemical-free.
Best Vegan Serum For Oily Skin
If your oily skin has congested pores, we recommend the Alpha Beta vegan serum from Dr. Dennis Gross. The serum uses salicylic acid and adipic acid to minimize pores and prevent them from clogging. It also reduces shine while firming your skin.
Best Vegan Cleanser For Oily Skin
Olehenriksen has made the best vegan cleanser for oily skin. The cleanser uses AHAs to get rid of dead skin cells and clogged pores without drying out your skin. Green tea, eucalyptus, and algae are natural antiseptics that clarify your skin and reduce shine.
Best Vegan Toner For Oily Skin
Jasmine Green Tea Toner is another beautiful vegan product for oily skin. The toner includes green tea, willow bark, and witch hazel to clarify and balance oily and blemish-prone skin. We love how fresh it feels on the skin giving your face a natural glow.
Best Vegan Face Mask For Oily Skin
The Himalayan Charcoal mask from The Body Shop is a cult favorite for a reason. And it is also vegan. The mask purifies and exfoliates oily skin with bamboo charcoal, green tea leaves, and tea tree oil. Love the tingly and cooling sensation on the skin.
Best Vegan Sunscreen For Oily Skin
Hydra Vizor makes the perfect vegan sunscreen for oily skin since it also works as a moisturizer. The oil-free sunscreen includes niacinamide and hyaluronic acid to lightly hydrate oily skin and give it a dewy glow. A fantastic two-in-one product that is also refillable.
Best Vegan Exfoliator For Oily Skin
Oily skin needs an exfoliator that is powerful yet gentle. This leave-on vegan exfoliant is just that. It chaffs away dead skin cells, excess oil, and congestion with AHA, BHA, and PHA while loading your skin with superfood antioxidants. Your skin will feel smooth and healthy after.
Best Vegan Skincare Kit For Dry Skin
We love this vegan skincare set for oily skin. It has everything oily skin will need: a powerful cleanser, a lightweight gel moisturizer, BHA exfoliant, and daily SPF. These bestsellers from Paula’s Choice ensure oily skin will become more healthy and balanced.
Shop on: Official Site
FAQ About Vegan Skincare For Oily Skin
Some of the good vegan-friendly ingredients for oily skin include clay, tea tree, retinol, and AHA/BHAs.
The best vegan skincare for oily skin comes from the selections of First Aid Beauty, Herbivore, and Fenty Skin.
The best vegan moisturizer for oily skin is First Aid Beauty Hello FAB Coconut Water Cream. It is oil-free, lightweight, and fast-absorbing.
You will find the best selection of vegan skincare for oily skin online – especially on Sephora, Ulta, and Amazon.
Hope you found just the right vegan skincare for oily skin. The most important thing is to choose purifying and balancing vegan ingredients over nourishing ones.
For oily skin, we love vegan skincare from First Aid Beauty, Herbivore, Fenty Skin as well as other cruelty-free and vegan brands such as Olehenriksen and Paula’s Choice.
Cleanse, exfoliate, and refine pores and do not forget to use a lightweight vegan moisturizer. Our favorite one is the Hello FAB Coconut Water Cream from First Aid Beauty.
As we find new vegan skincare lines for oily skin, we will add them to this article.
See also: Best Vegan Skincare, Vegan Skincare For Acne-Prone Skin, Vegan Skincare For Combination Skin, Vegan Skincare For Dry Skin, Vegan Skincare For Sensitive Skin, Vegan Retinols, Vegan Moisturizers, Vegan Cleansers, Vegan Anti-Aging Skincare