While squalane used to be made from shark oil, nowadays most squalane is plant-based and often used in vegan skincare. See our favorite vegan squalane skincare for your skin.
PS All products below are vegan and cruelty-free, meaning they are free of animal-derived ingredients and have not been tested on animals.
Best Vegan Squalane Skincare
We’ve chosen the best vegan squalane skincare to hydrate your skin. Shop our favorite shark-free and cruelty-free vegan squalane skincare products for 2024. We’ll do our best to help you find the right vegan skincare products for your skin.
- Biossance Squalane + Omega Repair Cream
- The Outset Nourishing Squalane Daily Moisturizer
- Alpyn Beauty PlantGenius Melt Moisturizer
- Milk Makeup Vegan Milk Moisturizer
- Versed Skin Soak Rich Moisture Face Cream
Best Vegan Squalane Moisturizers
These are the best vegan squalane face creams for 2024.
Biossance Squalane + Omega Repair Cream is the best vegan squalane moisturizer for dry skin. Packed with squalane, omega fatty acids, and ceramides, it nourishes and hydrates the skin the whole day. The vegan moisturizer is also fragrance-free and ideal for sensitive skin.
Biossance is THE brand for squalane skincare. This brand is 100% vegan and they only use plant-based ingredients. More than 40 Biossance skincare products contain sugarcane-derived squalane, so you will have plenty of options, including their Pure Vegan Squalane Oil.
- What we like: brightens up the overall complexion, long-lasting moisturized feeling
- What we don’t like: it’s expensive
- What reviews say: reduces fine lines and wrinkles, works great for different skin types, fast absorbing
Key ingredients: sugarcane-derived vegan squalane, ceramides, fatty acids, hyaluronic acid | Main benefits: nourishing, moisturizing, plumping | Features: vegan, fragrance-free, recyclable packaging, made in the USA
The Outset has also made a great vegan squalane moisturizer for oily and combination skin. The cream is really lightweight and absorbs instantly. Edelweiss extract and plant-based hyaluronic acid are also hydrating and soothe irritated and damaged skin.
- What we like: fast absorbing, lightweight texture, skin feels much smoother and fresher
- What we don’t like: leaves an oily finish
- What reviews say: clears up acne, a little goes a long way, soothes the skin
Key ingredients: vegan squalane, botanical hyaluronic acid, edelweiss extract | Main benefits: nourishing, hydrating, soothing | Features: vegan, fragrance-free, hypoallergenic, gluten-free, recyclable packaging, silicone-free
Alpyn Beauty Melt Moisturizer is very hydrating and makes even the driest skin back to life. This vegan squalane and hyaluronic acid combo gives the skin a glow and reduces fine lines and wrinkles. You’ll see both the hydration and anti-aging benefits quite fast.
- What we like: brightens up the skin, reduces fine lines and wrinkles
- What we don’t like: contains fragrance
- What reviews say: melts into skin, leaves a healthy glowy finish, deep hydrating
Key ingredients: vegan squalane, hyaluronic acid, bakuchiol, ceramides | Main benefits: hydrating, brightening, plumping | Features: vegan, gluten-free, recyclable packaging, made in the USA
This vegan squalane-packed moisturizer is the best cream to nourish dry and sensitive skin, especially for the night. You’ll only need a small amount to brighten and hydrate the skin. The formula is also fragrance-free and safe for sensitive and acne-prone skin.
- What we like: works the best during the night, leaves a glow on the skin
- What we don’t like: it takes time to absorb
- What reviews say: perfect for dry and sensitive skin, very soothing, a little goes a long way
Key ingredients: olive-derived vegan squalane, desert milk, fig milk, shea butter, oat milk, argan milk, grapeseed oil | Main benefits: hydrating, softening, nourishing | Features: vegan, fragrance-free, gluten-free, silicone-free, made in the USA
This ultra-nourishing vegan squalane moisturizer keeps the skin hydrated for the whole day. The formula is packed with vegan squalane and other hydrating ingredients such as hyaluronic acid. This cream makes the skin softer and also soothes irritated skin.
- What we like: fast absorbing, leaves a refreshed feeling
- What we don’t like: does not work for oily or acne-prone skin
- What reviews say: skin feels hydrated for a long period, soothes irritated areas
Key ingredients: vegan squalane, hyaluronic acid, sodium hyaluronate, red algae extract | Main benefits: nourishing, hydrating | Features: vegan, pregnancy-safe, artificial fragrance-free, silicone-free
The Ordinary offers a great pure vegan squalane oil serum. Only a few drops are needed to hydrate and soften the skin. This serum is also great for nourishing your hair and boosting shine. This vegan serum works best for dry and normal skin types. It’s also affordable.
- What we like: lightweight consistency, makes the skin softer
- What we don’t like: not for oily skin
- What reviews say: great value for money, a little goes a long way, smooths uneven texture
Key ingredients: vegan squalane | Main benefits: hydrating, smoothening | Features: vegan, silicone-free, alcohol-free, gluten-free, mineral oil-free, made in Canada
Honest Beauty Hydrogel Cream is perfect for all skin types. This vegan squalane cream does not feel heavy on the skin and it works perfectly under makeup, too. Containing squalane and hyaluronic acid, it’s very hydrating and makes the skin much softer.
- What we like: soothes irritated skin, works great with makeup
- What we don’t like: uncomfortable texture
- What reviews say: works for all skin types, hydrates but does not feel heavy
Key ingredients: vegan squalane, hyaluronic acid, jojoba esters | Main benefits: softening, firming, soothing | Features: vegan, artificial fragrance-free, dermatologist-tested, mineral oil-free, artificial colors-free, silicone-free
Other Vegan Squalane Skincare Products
Here are some other vegan squalane skincare products you may like.
- Vegan Squalane Serum: Biossance Squalane + Copper Peptide Serum
- Vegan Squalane Cleanser: The Ordinary Squalane Cleanser
- Vegan Squalane Toner: Biossance Squalane + BHA Pore Minimizing Toner
- Vegan Squalane Eye Cream: Osea Malibu Firming Eye Cream
- Vegan Squalane Face Mask: Sweet Chef Beet + Retinol Nightly Firming Mask
- Vegan Squalane Face Oil: Biossance 100% Squalane Oil
- Vegan Squalane Sunscreen: Everyday Humans Rose From Above SPF 35
- Vegan Squalane Hand Cream: + Lux Unfiltered N°24 Reviving Hand Cream
- Vegan Squalane Body Lotion: Paula’s Choice Ultra-Rich Soothing Body Butter
- Vegan Squalane Skincare Set: Biossance Rapid Radiance Set
Is Squalane Vegan?
Squalane in skincare can be both: vegan and non-vegan. Animal-based squalane comes from shark livers. Vegan squalane is derived from olive oil, rice bran, wheat germ, or sugar cane.
These days, plant-based squalane is becoming the default option due to ethical concerns about animal abuse. But you still need to be careful when shopping for squalane skincare.
While producers have started to use vegan squalane, squalane is often paired with animal-derived ingredients like lanolin to maximize the moisturizing benefits.
To make sure your squalane skincare is vegan, choose squalane skincare products from 100% vegan and cruelty-free brands such as Biossance.
What To Look For In Vegan Squalane Skincare?
When looking for vegan squalane skincare, you might come across two similar spellings – squalane and squalene. Squalane is the hydrogenated form of squalene.
Thanks to hydrogenation, squalane is more stable than squalene and has a longer shelf life. This is why most skincare products use vegan squalane instead of vegan squalene.
If you are looking to buy vegan squalane skincare, know that you can easily pair this ingredient with a wide variety of other active ingredients such as AHAs, BHAs, and retinol.
If you have acne-prone or oily skin, choose vegan squalane skincare that is lightweight and gel-like. Squalane is non-comedogenic but you don’t want to use it in overly rich formulas.
FAQ About Vegan Squalane Skincare
Squalane can be vegan as well as animal-derived (such as from shark liver oils).
The best vegan squalane moisturizer is the Biossance Squalane + Omega Repair Cream.
You will find the best selection of vegan squalane skincare online, especially on Amazon, Ulta, and Sephora.
No. While the cream uses olive-derived vegan squalane, Kiehl’s is not a cruelty-free company, so none of its products are considered vegan.
Why kill sharks when you can derive squalane from olives, squalane, and other plants? Luckily, more and more skincare brands have come to that very conclusion.
We hope you enjoyed our collection of vegan squalane skincare. When it comes to vegan squalane, our heart belongs to Biossance – a vegan brand built around squalane.
As we use this amazing hydrating ingredient daily, we will keep trying our new vegan squalane skincare products. If we find something great, we will let you know about it.
Update on May 04 (2023): Fact checked and medically reviewed by MD Shimona Garg
Update on February 19 (2023): Added more references