By now, we all know how important it is to use sunscreen. Your skin needs it every day and every weather, no matter your skin type.
Since animal ingredients have nothing to do with good sunblock, let us introduce you to the best vegan sunscreens for your face in 2024.
From Dermalogica to Sun Bum – get the best protection from the sun with natural, cruelty-free, and reef-safe sunblocks.
See also: Best Vegan Body Sunscreens
Vegan Tinted Sunscreens
Vegan Sunscreens For Body
Vegan Sunscreens For Kids
Vegan Sunscreens Brands
Best Vegan Sunscreens 2024
We have selected the best vegan face sunscreens for every skin type. Get that powerful broad-spectrum SPF protection the vegan way. Find a vegan eco-friendly sunscreen that fits your needs.
- Best Mineral: Dermalogica Invisible Physical Defense SPF 30
- Best Chemical: Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen SPF 40
- Best Kbeauty: Isntree Hyaluronic Acid Watery Sun Gel SPF 50
- Best Organic: Coola Organic Classic Face Sunscreen SPF 50
- Best Affordable: Sun Bum Original Sunscreen Face Lotion SPF 50
- Best Anti-Aging: Dermalogica Dynamic Skin Recovery SPF 50
- For Dry Skin: Thrive Daily Defense Sunscreen Balm SPF 30
- For Oily Skin: Glossier Invisible Shield Daily Sunscreen SPF 35
- For Combination Skin: Tula Protect + Glow Daily Sunscreen Gel SPF 30
- For Acne-Prone Skin: Make P:rem UV Defense Me Daily Sun Essence SPF 50
- For Sensitive Skin: Paula’s Choice Calm Mineral Moisturizer SPF 30
- For Dark Skin: Black Girl Sunscreen Moisturizing Sunscreen Lotion SPF 30
Best Vegan Mineral Sunscreen
Our favorite vegan mineral sunscreen comes from Dermalogica. First introduced to us by skincare expert Cassandra Bankson, this vegan face sunscreen is just the best. Rich in zinc oxide, the creamy lotion dries on completely sheer, especially if you warm it in your hands for a second.
The physical vegan sunblock protects your skin all day while feeling airy and comfortable. It also contains antioxidant-rich green tea extract to protect your skin from external stressors. We recommend this sunscreen for all skin types. Read our full review here.
- What we like: reduces redness, works well under makeup
- What we don’t like: it’s expensive
- What reviews say: thick consistency that feels light on the skin and lets it breathe, works great for different skin types
Key ingredients: zinc oxide, glycerin, sodium hyaluronate | Main benefits: reduces redness, UVA/UVB protection | Features: vegan, SPF 30, mineral sunscreen, fragrance-free, no white cast, reef-safe, non-nano, made in the USA
Best Chemical Vegan Sunscreen
This vegan chemical sunscreen is highly recommended by the vegan community. The Unseen Sunscreen offers broad-spectrum SPF 40 and protects the skin also from tech light. It is completely weightless, scentless, leaves no white cast, and works also as a makeup primer.
Even though the sunscreen is chemical, it is free of reef-harming octinoxate and oxybenzone among many other harsh chemicals. The sunscreen is also gluten-free and deemed safe for all skin types but sensitive skin should still be careful. Read our full review here.
- What we like: a little goes a long way, it’s waterproof
- What we don’t like: specific smell
- What reviews say: leaves a nice soft and matte finish, very easy to apply, works great for different skin colors
Key ingredients: avobenzone, homosalate, octyl salicylate, octocrylene | Main benefits: moisturizing, prevents sunburn, decreases the risk of skin cancer | Features: vegan, SPF 40, chemical sunscreen, fragrance-free, no white cast, non-nano, water-resistant, oil-free formula, gluten-free, made in the USA
Best KBeauty Vegan Sunscreen
Isntree Hyaluronic Acid Watery Sun Gel is a really good vegan Kbeauty sunscreen that hydrates the skin with 8 types of hyaluronic acid. It has a lovely creamy texture that absorbs instantly and leaves no white residue. It also hydrates the skin well. Read our full review here.
- What we like: excellent hydration, easily spreadable, creamy, affordable
- What we don’t like: it’s not certified vegan
- What reviewers say: lots of praise for hydration, no white cast, good absorption, does not irritate sensitive skin types
Key ingredients: ethylhexyl salicylate, homosalate | Main benefits: UVA/UVB protection, moisturizing, soothing | Features: vegan, SPF 50, chemical sunscreen, fragrance-free, no white cast, non-nano, Kbeauty brand, safe for sensitive skin
Best Organic Vegan Sunscreen
Coola has made a beautiful organic vegan sunscreen that has a sheer and dewy finish. The fragrance-free vegan face sunscreen is packed with antioxidants from red raspberries and prickly pear to protect your skin cells from oxidative damage.
- What we like: does not clog pores but moisturizes very well, protects for a long time
- What we don’t like: looks oily on the skin
- What reviews say: great sunscreen while doing outdoor sports, absorbs quickly, works great with different skin types
Key ingredients: avobenzone, homosalate, octyl salicylate, octocrylene | Main benefits: hydrating, nourishing, UVA/UVB protection | Features: vegan, SPF 50, chemical sunscreen, fragrance-free, water-resistant, dermatologist-tested, non-comedogenic, gluten-free, no white cast, made in the USA
Best Affordable Vegan Sunscreen
Sun Bum Original Face Lotion is vegan, fragrance-free, oil-free, gluten-free, reef-safe, water-resistant – and affordable. This cheap vegan sunscreen for face is weightless and easy to apply. It gives effective UVA/UVB protection while hydrating and protecting your skin with vitamin E.
- What we like: easy to apply and absorbs quickly into the skin, smells great
- What we don’t like: can irritate the eye area
- What reviews say: great price value, makes the skin softer, works well with makeup
Key ingredients: avobenzone, homosalate, octyl salicylate, octocrylene | Main benefits: UVA/UVB protection, moisturizing, mattifying | Features: vegan, SPF 50, chemical sunscreen, fragrance-free, water-resistant, gluten-free, made in the USA
Best Anti-Aging Vegan Sunscreen
This anti-aging vegan sunscreen is loaded with antioxidants to help the skin stay elastic and radiant. The rich vegan lotion glides on smooth and provides powerful broad spectrum sun protection. It also includes algae and white tea to hydrate and soften maturing skin.
- What we like: hydrates for a whole day, reduces fine lines
- What we don’t like: it’s expensive
- What reviews say: goes on smoothly, makes small wrinkles less visible, skin feels softer
Key ingredients: avobenzone, octyl methoxycinnamate | Main benefits: UVA/UVB protection, hydrating, brightening | Features: vegan, SPF 50, chemical sunscreen, reef-safe, no white cast, artificial fragrance-free, made in the USA
Best Vegan Sunscreen For Dry Skin
This sustainable vegan sunscreen for face is perfect for dry skin. This soft reef-safe balm is packed with Costa Rican superplants to hydrate dry skin and leave a beautiful dewy finish. The natural vegan sunscreen leaves no white cast and fits both lighter and darker skin tones.
This mineral balm is also the most eco-friendly and non-toxic vegan sunscreen on the list. The clean vegan sunscreen uses zinc oxide filters along with natural extracts. Dry skin will love the nutrient-rich formula along with effective UVA and UVB protection.
- What we like: lasts for a whole day, brightens the skin’s overall complexion
- What we don’t like: thick consistency absorbs slowly
- What reviews say: smells great, skin feels very hydrated and healthy
Key ingredients: zinc oxide, glycerin, coffee Arabica seed oil | Main benefits: hydrating, nourishing, UVA/UVB protection | Features: vegan, SPF 30, mineral-sunscreen, artificial fragrance-free, reef-safe, non-nano, artificial colors-free, gluten-free, no white cast, made in the USA
Best Vegan Sunscreen For Oily Skin
Oily skin needs a facial vegan sunscreen that does not clog pores. Such as the Glossier Invisible Shield Daily Sunscreen with SPF 35. The transparent chemical vegan face sunscreen goes on smoothly. It leaves no white cast, absorbs quickly, and makes a great base for makeup.
- What we like: works great for sensitive skin, great for different skin colors
- What we don’t like: contains fragrance
- What reviews say: lightweight consistency which absorbs quickly into the skin, lasts for a long time
Key ingredients: antioxidant complex, fermented yeast, vegetal extract, sweet orange peel oil | Main benefits: UVA/UVB protection, decreases the risk of skin cancer, moisturizing | Features: vegan, SPF 35, chemical sunscreen, no white cast, non-comedogenic, made in the USA
Best Vegan Sunscreen For Combination Skin
For combination skin, we recommend the Protect + Glow Daily Sunscreen from Tula. The reef-safe vegan sunscreen for face contains probiotics to keep combo skin balanced and blemish-free. It also gives just enough hydration for the dry areas and adds a lovely glow.
- What we like: works great with makeup, very hydrating, skin starts to feel more healthy
- What we don’t like: a lot of product is needed
- What reviews say: gives a nice glow, helps with fine lines, keeps the skin hydrated for the whole day
Key ingredients: probiotic extracts, pineapple & papaya, wild butterfly ginger root | Main benefits: UVA/UVB protection, hydrating, nourishing | Features: vegan, SPF 30, chemical sunscreen, reef-safe, non-comedogenic, no white cast, mineral oil-free, artificial fragrance-free, silicone-free
Best Vegan Sunscreen For Acne-Prone Skin
Korean brand Make P:rem has made the best vegan sunscreen for acne-prone skin. The Daily Sun Essence is gentle, lightweight, and does not clog pores. This chemical vegan sunscreen also offers long-lasting hydration to help blemish-prone skin stay comfortable and balanced.
- What we like: smoothens the skin, light texture
- What we don’t like: looks greasy on the skin
- What reviews say: hydrates deeply, leaves a fresh feeling, calms the skin
Key ingredients: fructan, bamboo water, buciclovir leaf/stem extract | Main benefits: moisturizing, UVA/UVB protection, hydrating | Features: vegan, SPF 50, chemical sunscreen, artificial fragrance-free, reef-safe, no white cast
Best Vegan Sunscreen For Sensitive Skin
Paula’s Choice has created a great vegan sunscreen moisturizer. While Paula’s Choice Calm moisturizers are not vegan, their SPF 30 versions are. This vegan sunblock protects and calms sensitive skin. It also hydrates and reduces redness with oat, ceramides, and allantoin. The creamy mineral lotion dries on matte and sheer.
- What we like: works as a moisturizer, soothes the skin
- What we don’t like: leaves a white cast on the skin
- What reviews say: helps with very sensitive skin, lightweight consistency which is easy to apply
Key ingredients: titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, hyaluronic acid, apricot oil, potent antioxidant blend | Main benefits: UVA/UVB protection, soothing, mattifying | Features: vegan, SPF 30, mineral sunscreen, fragrance-free, reef-safe, color-free, made in the USA
Best Vegan Sunscreen For Dark Skin
Black Girl vegan sunscreen is specifically designed for black and darker skin tones. It provides broad-spectrum protection while leaving no white cast whatsoever. The sunscreen also nourishes your skin with avocado, jojoba, cacao, carrot juice, and sunflower oil.
- What we like: great price value, gives the skin nice moisture during the day
- What we don’t like: contains gluten
- What reviews say: lightweight consistency, a little goes a long way, leaves no white residue
Key ingredients: avocado, jojoba, cacao, carrot juice, sunflower oil | Main benefits: moisturizing, nourishing, UVA/UVB protection | Features: vegan, SPF 30, chemical sunscreen, no white cast, fragrance-free
Best Vegan Tinted Sunscreens
Vegan tinted vegan sunscreens protect your skin without the white cast. Instead, you’ll get a great glow and even skin tone. Here are our picks for the best tinted vegan sunscreens.
- Bliss Block Star Invisible Daily Sunscreen SPF 30
- Australian Gold Botanical Tinted Face Sunscreen SPF 50
- Sun Bum Mineral Tinted Sunscreen Face Lotion SPF 30
- BareMinerals Complexion Rescue Tinted Hydrating Gel Cream SPF 30
- Ilia Super Serum Skin Tint SPF 40 – the best vegan foundation with SPF
Best Vegan Sunscreens For Body
Here are the top vegan body sunscreens from Coola, Thrive, and Alba Botanica. See our full selection of the best vegan body sunscreens here.
- Coola Organic Sunscreen Spray SPF 50
- Thrive Bodyshield Mineral Sunscreen SPF 50
- Alba Botanica Sensitive Sunscreen SPF 50
Best Vegan Sunscreen For Kids
The vegan sunscreens for kids and babies below are fragrance-free and hypoallergenic. Protect the little ones from all harmful UV rays with these vegan sunscreen lotions, sprays, and sticks.
- Babo Botanicals Zinc Sunscreen Lotion SPF 30 (also a spray)
- Goddess Garden Kids Mineral Sunscreen Lotion SPF 50 (also a stick)
- Thinkbaby Baby Sunscreen Lotion SPF 50 (also a stick)
- Pipette Mineral Sunscreen Baby Sunblock SPF 50
- Sun Bum Baby Bum Mineral Sunscreen Lotion SPF 50
Best Vegan Sunscreen Brands
Here are the best brands for vegan sunscreen in 2024. From their selection, you will find only vegan and cruelty-free sunblocks available both online and in drugstores.
Florida-based suncare brand Sun Bum is cruelty-free and offers both mineral vegan sunscreens and reef-safe chemical vegan sunscreens for face. The company is not 100% vegan but their sunscreens are. Currently, only some of Sun Bum’s lip balms and creams contain beeswax or honey.
We love their: Original SPF 30 Sunscreen Lotion
Goddess Garden is an organic skincare brand that makes natural vegan sunscreen for the whole family. The American brand is based in Colorado. All their products are vegan, reef-safe, and organic. They even have a collection of cruelty-free vegan sunscreen for babies and kids.
We love their: Sport SPF 50 Mineral Sunscreen Stick
Alba Botanica is an American personal care brand founded already in 1979. All Alba Botanica’s sunscreens are vegan. Only some of their lip balms contain beeswax and their Hawaiian Smoothing Sugar Cane Body Polish contains honey.
We love their: Hawaiian Sunscreen SPF 50 Clear Spray
Pacifica is a fully vegan brand with a good vegan suncare collection. Explore mineral vegan sunscreens as well as SPF-enriched vegan body lotions and bronzers. As a natural beauty brand, Pacifica vegan sunscreens are paraben-free and use clean and natural ingredients.
We love their: Vegan Collagen SPF 30 Every Day Lotion
What Makes Sunscreen Vegan
Vegan sunscreen is a sunblock that contains no animal-derived ingredients. Vegan sunscreens cannot also be tested on animals.
Both physical and chemical sunscreen filters – the little particles that do all the work – are usually vegan-friendly.
The most common ingredients that make a sunscreen not vegan are animal-derived emollients and proteins such as lanolin, collagen, elastin, beeswax, and chitin.
- Lanolin: also called wool wax, an emollient derived from the sebaceous glands of sheep
- Collagen: protein from the skin and connective tissues, usually derived from cows or fish
- Elastin: a protein normally derived from cow’s connective tissue
- Beeswax: secretion of the wax glands of bees
- Chitin: a polysaccharide obtained from the outer skeleton of insects, crabs, and lobsters
Instead of animal emollients in sunscreens, vegan brands use shea butter, cocoa butter, jojoba oil, or olive-derived squalene.
What To Look For In A Vegan Sunscreen
There are three important things to keep in mind when choosing vegan sunscreen.
Choose Broad Spectrum
Your vegan sunscreen should always be marked broad-spectrum or full-spectrum SPF. This means that the lotion protects against both UVB and UVA radiation.
UVA has a longer wavelength and penetrates deeper into the skin causing photoaging. UVB has a shorter wavelength and causes sunburn.
Sunscreen with only SPF on the label protects you against UVB radiation only. Broad-spectrum adds the more important UVA protection.
Aim For SPF 30
SPF (Sun Protection Factor) shows your cream’s ability to protect the skin from sunburn. The higher the number, the more time it takes for sunburn to develop.
For daily use, we recommend choosing vegan sunscreen in the range of SPF 30 to SPF 50. For most people, SPF 30 is perfectly adequate.
Keep in mind that ultra-high SPF numbers like 70 or 100 do not provide much more protection than SPF 30.
While SPF 30 provides 97 percent protection from UVB rays, SPF 100 provides 99 percent protection from UVB. No sunscreen ever reaches 100 percent.
Sunscreens can be divided into two types – chemical and physical.
- Chemical vegan sunscreen is based on synthetic ingredients that absorb into the skin (oxybenzone, avobenzone, octisalate).
- Physical aka mineral vegan sunscreen uses natural minerals that form a protective layer on the skin (zinc oxide, titanium dioxide).
Chemical and physical sunscreens are equally effective in terms of UVA and UVB protection. But chemical sunscreens can be harmful to the environment and ocean systems.
Studies show that substances used in chemical sunscreens (oxybenzone, octinoxate) are absorbed by young corals and cause them to fade and die.
In 2018, Hawaii became the first country in the world to ban the use of synthetic sunscreens because the chemicals damage coral reefs.
To protect our oceans, prefer a mineral vegan sunscreen or a chemical vegan sunscreen that is at the minimum free of oxybenzone and octinoxate.
How We Review Vegan Sunscreens
Vegan sunscreens come in all shapes, sizes, and formulas. Here’s what is important to us when we review vegan sunscreens:
- Broad-spectrum: Vegan sunscreens today should always provide a broad-spectrum defense. It should guard you against UVA and UVB rays.
- Reef-safe formula: We prefer vegan sunscreens that contain no reef-harming chemicals such as oxybenzone or octinoxate. All in all, we prefer mineral vegan sunscreens to chemical ones to protect marine life as well as our skin.
- No white residue: The less white residue the vegan sunscreen leaves, the better. Mineral vegan sunscreens often leave some white cast but it’s all about how quickly it goes away.
- Effectiveness: The most important measure of a vegan sunscreen is how well it protects you against the sun. If you get sunburn while wearing sunscreen, it’s not a very good product.
- Other ingredients: Our favorite vegan sunscreens, especially face ones, have always some additional key actives to hydrate, nourish, or balance your skin. We like our sunscreen to include some antioxidants to help neutralize environmental damage.
Vegan Sunscreen Comparison
|Invisible Physical Defense SPF 30
|Zinc Oxide, Glycerin, Sodium Hyaluronate
|Unseen Sunscreen SPF 40
|Avobenzone, Homosalate, Octyl Salicylate, Octocrylene
|Hyaluronic Acid Watery Sun Gel SPF 50
|Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Homosalate
|Organic Classic Face Sunscreen SPF 50
|Avobenzone, Homosalate, Octyl Salicylate, Octocrylene
|Original Sunscreen Face Lotion SPF 50
|Avobenzone, Homosalate, Octyl Salicylate, Octocrylene
|Dynamic Skin Recovery SPF 50
|Avobenzone, Octyl Methoxycinnamate
|Daily Defense Sunscreen Balm SPF 30
|For Dry Skin
|Zinc Oxide, Glycerin, Coffee Arabica Seed Oil
|Invisible Shield Daily Sunscreen SPF 35
|For Oily Skin
|Antioxidant Complex, Fermented Yeast, Vegetal Extract, Sweet Orange Peel Oil
|Protect + Glow Daily Sunscreen Gel SPF 30
|For Combination Skin
|Probiotic Extracts, Pineapple, Papaya, Wild Butterfly Ginger Root
|UV Defense Me Daily Sun Essence SPF 50
|For Acne-Prone Skin
|Fructan, Bamboo Water, Buciclovir Leaf/Stem Extrac
|Calm Mineral Moisturizer SPF 30
|For Sensitive Skin
|Titanium Dioxide, Zinc Oxide, Hyaluronic Acid, Apricot Oil, Potent Antioxidant Blend
|Black Girl Sunscreen
|Moisturizing Sunscreen Lotion SPF 30
|For Dark Skin
|Avocado, Jojoba, Cacao, Carrot Juice, Sunflower Oil
Why Trust Us
Finding good-quality sunscreen is important to most people. That is why we take reviewing vegan sunscreens seriously. We want our readers to find the most effective and sustainable vegan sunscreen options for themselves and their families.
At Vegan Avenue, we try out new vegan sunscreens every month and pick out the best ones by reviewing all aspects of the sunscreen from the formula to the brand and the price. We also combine our own user experiences with countless reviews online.
FAQ About Vegan Sunscreens
Sunscreen can be vegan if it contains no animal-derived ingredients and is not tested on animals. To find vegan sunscreen, look for a certified vegan label on the packaging.
Sunscreen is not vegan if it includes animal-based ingredients such as beeswax or lanolin. Also, many sunscreens are not vegan because they are animal-tested.
Vegan sunscreen is typically made with natural mineral filters such as zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. Vegan sunscreen also includes plant oils and botanical extracts.
Yes. Sunblock filters and emollients used in vegan sunscreen are equally effective as those in non-vegan sunscreen.
The best vegan sunscreen is Dermalogica Invisible Physical Defense SPF 30. It is an effective mineral sunblock that leaves no white cast.
No, Neutrogena sunscreen is not vegan. The company uses beeswax in its sunblock.
No. Equate products are tested on animals.
No. All Good sunscreen is not vegan and contains beeswax.
Jaxon Lane Rain Or Shine SPF 50 is the best vegan sunscreen for men. See more vegan skincare for men here.
Sunscreen is more important than we used to think. And lucky for us, there are a large number of vegan sunscreens to choose from.
We hope you found your new favorite vegan face sunscreen from our list. The best vegan sunblocks in 2024 are reef-friendly, skin-friendly, natural, vegan, and cruelty-free.
We love vegan sunblock selections of Dermalogica, Alba Botanica, Goddess Garden, Sun Bum, Glossier, and Supergoop.
When we come across more amazing vegan and cruelty-free sunscreens, we’ll be sure to add them to this list.
See also: Best Vegan Body Sunscreens
Update on May 04 (2023): Fact checked and medically reviewed by MD Shimona Garg
Update on February 18 (2023): Added references to support sunscreen benefits
Update on November 28 (2022): Added a comparison table
Update on November 4 (2022): We added Isntree Hyaluronic Acid Watery Sun Gel SPF 50 to the list as our favorite vegan KBeauty sunscreen (after having tried the product).
Update on August 3 (2022): We restructured the article and separated vegan sunscreens for the face and for the body. We also added two special sections for vegan tinted sunscreens and vegan sunscreens for kids. In addition, we switched the best vegan mineral sunscreen from Thrive Daily Defense Sunscreen Balm SPF 30 to Dermalogica Invisible Physical Defense SPF 30.