Just when I thought Youth To The People cannot surprise me anymore, I tried their Yerba Mate Resurfacing Energy Facial. I’m generally not a fan of physical scrubs but this one seemed harmless enough to try. Plus, it also includes lots of good natural enzymes.
My verdict: this is the best vegan exfoliator to improve skin texture. It can be a bit too abrasive for sensitive skin but it’s good for all other skin types, including dry skin.
I got to try this vegan facial by ordering the Youth System Skincare Set. The facial came in a smaller jar but it has lasted me for at least 10 facials. And I still have a lot of it left.
Yerba Mate Resurfacing Energy Facial Specs
Yerba Mate Resurfacing Energy Facial can be categorized as a physical exfoliator and an enzyme exfoliator. It uses natural exfoliating particles and promises to smooth and soften the skin.
The main ingredients of this facial are:
- Bamboo (physical particles)
- Diatomaceous Earth (physical particles)
- Papain (enzymes from papaya)
- Bromelain (enzymes from pineapple)
- Lactic acid (AHA exfoliating acid)
- Yerba mate & guayusa extracts (energizing caffeine)
- Passionfruit & dragonfruit extracts (antioxidants)
- Aloe (soothing ingredient)
- Niacinamide (hydrating and balancing ingredient)
- Glycerin (hydrating ingredient)
I’ve so far mainly used AHA and BHA exfoliators, so I was excited to try an enzyme exfoliator with papain or bromelain. This one includes both of them, so double-win.
The bamboo and earth particles can be a bit abrasive. But it’s good the facial also has aloe, niacinamide, and glycerin to hydrate and soothe the skin and keep the skin barrier healthy.
As I love the Youth To The People 15% Vitamin C + Caffeine Energy Serum, I was sure my skin will enjoy the energizing caffeine from the yerba mate and guayusa extracts.
Generally, the ingredients of this vegan exfoliator look promising. Natural exfoliators, effective science-backed ingredients. This product is also made in the USA and is free of harsh chemicals.
Is Yerba Mate Resurfacing Energy Facial Good?
Yerba Mate Resurfacing Energy Facial is an amazing vegan facial to improve skin texture. It gives a much smoother skin. You’ll see the effect instantly as well as gradual improvements over time.
I use it a couple of times a week, especially on a night out. The texture of the facial is my favorite part as it’s so creamy and goes on smoothly. It’s also very quick and mess-free to use.
Yerba Mate Resurfacing Energy Facial Pros
Here are the pros of Yerba Mate Resurfacing Energy Facial.
- Creamy texture – The texture of this facial is great. It’s soft and creamy and glides on smooth. I much prefer it over exfoliating powders.
- Quick results – I’m not the most consistent person to do facials but I’ve been using this regularly. It’s easy to apply and gets you results in only 2 minutes.
- Improves skin texture – My skin’s surface has become visibly smoother and softer when using this facial. Have to be just careful not to overuse it and harm the skin barrier.
- Reduces blackheads – I’ve noticed fewer blackheads on my nose ever since I started using it. Especially when I also use Paula’s Choice 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant daily.
- Skin feels fresh – The clean and renewed feeling after this mask is real. Compared to some other facials, my skin does not feel dry or tight at all.
- Little goes a long way – I’ve gotten at least 10 facials out of their travel-sized version and I still have a lot of it still left. It also hasn’t dried up in the jar.
- No irritation for me – I once left this mask on for too long so my face was a bit red after. But other than that, there’s been zero irritation for my combination skin.
Yerba Mate Resurfacing Energy Facial Cons
Here are the cons of Yerba Mate Resurfacing Energy Facial.
- Not for sensitive skin – I don’t know why they recommend this facial for all skin types as it’s clearly too harsh for sensitive or sensitized skin. It also has too many different extracts, so sensitive skin can easily overreact.
- It’s a bit abrasive – The exfoliating particles in this exfoliator are a bit grainy. I love the creamy texture around the particles but it’s overall a bit abrasive.
- It’s expensive – 54 dollars is quite much for an exfoliator. While it lasts you a long time, it will still be an investment to make.
FAQ About Yerba Mate Resurfacing Energy Facial
Yes, the facial is vegan. All Youth To The People products are vegan.
It’s 100% worth it if you want to improve your skin texture. It makes the skin smoother and softer.
No, it’s not good for sensitive skin. It’s packed with different ingredients and the physical particles can hurt the (often dysfunctioning) skin barrier of sensitive skin.
No. I would not recommend this facial for acne. It requires manual rubbing that can irritate the skin. If you have problems with acne, rather go for BHA exfoliators.
Apply the facial on wet skin and leave it on for 2 minutes. Add water and gently massage in circular motions, rinse off. Use 1-3 times per week.
Why Trust Us
This review of Youth To The People Yerba Mate Resurfacing Energy Facial has not been incentivized. We simply love to try out the different vegan skincare products that have been recommended to us. Read more about how we review products and brands.
The Yerba Mate Resurfacing Energy Facial is one of these products that does everything it promises. It makes the skin soft and smooth and gives you a clean and fresh feeling.
As it’s a mix of physical and enzyme exfoliators, I would not recommend this facial for sensitive and acne-prone skin types. But all other skin types, especially oily and combination skin, can benefit greatly from this treatment.
Compared to Dermalogica’s Microfoliant, this one is easier to use but a bit more abrasive. The microfoliant is a better long-term solution while the Yerba Mate gives more instant results.