As surprising as it may sound, toothpaste is not always vegan.
Toothpaste along with other dental care products may contain several animal-derived ingredients such as beeswax, glycerin from animal fats, or xanthan gum from milk or egg whites.
In addition to animal-based ingredients, the majority of leading oral care brands such as Colgate cannot be considered vegan or cruelty-free since they test their products on animals.
To make your life easier, here is our ultimate guide to vegan oral care from the best vegan toothpaste to vegan dental floss, mouthwash, whitening strips, and toothbrushes.
While our focus is listing cruelty-free vegan dental care products, we also make sure the products are as safe as possible listing many SLS-free and fluoride-free options.
Best Vegan Toothpastes
Best Vegan Mouthwashes
Best Vegan Dental Flosses
Best Vegan Whitening Strips
Best Vegan Toothbrushes
Which Toothpaste Brands Are Vegan?
Here’s a quick overview of which toothpaste brands are vegan and which are not.
- NOT VEGAN nor cruelty-free: Colgate, Sensodyne, Crest, Aquafresh, Oral-B, Pepsodent, Arm & Hammer, and Glister (Amway)
- 100% VEGAN and cruelty-free: Hello, Boka, Marvis, Davids, Eco-Dent, The Humble Co.
There are also many cruelty-free toothpaste brands that are not 100% vegan but have a broad vegan selection. These brands include:
- Tom’s of Maine: All oral care products are vegan, except for Propolis and Myrrh Toothpastes, Peppermint Fluoride-Free Botanically Bright Toothpaste, and Antiplaque Floss which all contain beeswax.
- Jason: All oral care products are vegan. Only their Cooling Minerals & Tea Tree Muscle Pain Therapy Balm contains beeswax.
- Radius: All oral care products are vegan. The toothpastes are also USDA-certified organic. According to the brand, only their travel cases are not vegan.
- Auromère: All oral care products are vegan. Only their Neem Balm has beeswax and the Wrinkle Serum has ghee.
- Desert Essence: All dental products are vegan, except for flosses, which contain beeswax, and kids’ toothpastes, which use animal-based xanthan gum.
- Himalaya Botanique: All oral care products are vegan. Only some of their supplements, skincare, and bodycare products contain beeswax, honey, or butter.
Best Vegan Toothpastes
These toothpastes are all vegan and cruelty-free.
- Best overall: Tom’s of Maine Antiplaque & Whitening Toothpaste
- Best natural: Hello Naturally Whitening Fluoride Toothpaste
- Best fluoride-free: Boka Ela Mint N-Ha Toothpaste
- Best whitening: Marvis Whitening Mint Toothpaste
- Best charcoal: Himalaya Botanique Charcoal Toothpaste
- Best affordable: Desert Essence Tea Tree Oil Toothpaste
- Best non-mint: Boka Natural Coco Ginger Toothpaste
- Best for sensitive teeth: Davids Nano Hydroxyapatite Toothpaste
- Best for kids: Tom’s of Maine Natural Children’s Toothpaste
- Best tablets: Bite Fresh Mint Toothpaste Bits
- Best powder: Simply Sooney Organic Vegan Tooth Powder
Best Vegan Toothpaste Overall
Tom’s of Maine Antiplaque & Whitening Toothpaste is the best vegan toothpaste. It makes your teeth really clean and fights plaque, stains, and tartar. It also has a visible whitening effect. The toothpaste is fluoride-free and made with natural plant-based xylitol and zinc citrate.
The price-quality ratio of the toothpaste is just spot on. It’s affordable yet made without any synthetic sweeteners, colorings, or preservatives. We love the refreshing Peppermint and Spearmint flavors. If you don’t like mint, the toothpaste also comes in a Fennel flavor.
- What we like: removes stains, very fresh feel, whitens the teeth
- What we don’t like: contains SLS (not the best for sensitive teeth)
Key ingredients: xylitol, zinc citrate | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, fluoride-free, free of artificial flavorings, colorings, and preservatives, made in the USA | Average rating: 4.7/5
Best Natural Vegan Toothpaste
Vegan dental care brand Hello has our favorite natural vegan toothpaste. The toothpaste is made with farm-grown mint, tea tree oil, and coconut oil. It’s free of SLS, peroxide, parabens, triclosan, preservatives, dyes, gluten, and artificial sweeteners and flavorings.
This vegan fluoride toothpaste gives the freshest breath. It also safeguards the enamel and prevents cavities. It’s one of these rare natural products that is still very effective. We also love that the vegan toothpaste is made in the USA and comes in paperboard packaging.
- What we like: natural and clean ingredients
- What we don’t like: fluoride is not for everyone
Key ingredients: fluoride, mint, tea tree oil, coconut oil | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, SLS-free, peroxide-free, paraben-free, triclosan-free, preservative-free, dye-free, gluten-free, artificial flavoring-free, made in the USA | Average rating: 4.6/5
Other natural and organic vegan toothpastes we like include Radius USDA Organic Toothpaste, Auromère Ayurvedic Herbal Toothpaste, Jason Powersmile Whitening Toothpaste, and Kiss My Face Triple Action Toothpaste.
Best Fluoride-Free Vegan Toothpaste
Boka Ela Mint Toothpaste is the best fluoride-free vegan toothpaste. Instead of fluoride, this toothpaste uses nano-hydroxyapatite – a derivative of calcium phosphate that is naturally found in teeth and bones. Nano-hydroxyapatite is great for remineralizing and strengthening teeth.
Boka’s toothpaste is fresh but not overpowering. The formula also includes aloe vera, green tea, and antibacterial xylitol. It keeps the teeth clean, protects the enamel, and prevents cavities while being gentle for sensitive teeth. It’s also our favorite SLS-free vegan toothpaste.
- What we like: great N-Ha toothpaste, prevents stains
- What we don’t like: some experience sensitizing effect
Key ingredients: nano-hydroxyapatite, xylitol, aloe vera, mint, green tea | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, fluoride-free, SLS-free, paraben-free, free of artificial flavorings and colorings, biocompatible, made in the USA | Average rating: 4.7/5
Best Whitening Vegan Toothpaste
Marvis Whitening Mint is the best whitening vegan toothpaste. It helps get rid of stains and plaque making the teeth whiter and brighter. The toothpaste works gradually, so you should see some results in a month or so. It’s also fluoride-free and has a fresh yet delicate minty flavor.
- What we like: gradual whitening effect, fluoride-free
- What we don’t like: it’s a bit expensive
Key ingredients: xylitol, vegan glycerin, mint | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, fluoride-free, paraben-free, gluten-free, made in Italy | Average rating: 4.7/5
Best Charcoal Vegan Toothpaste
Himalaya Botanique has the best vegan charcoal toothpaste. This natural toothpaste uses charcoal and black seed oil along with other organic extracts to make the teeth brighter and squeaky clean. The gentle toothpaste is SLS-free and fluoride-free.
- What we like: best charcoal formula, free of SLS and fluoride
- What we don’t like: can stain toothbrush (rinse right after washing)
Key ingredients: charcoal, black seed oil, xylitol, bamboo and sea salt, mint | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, organic fluoride-free, SLS-free, free of artificial flavorings and colorings, gluten-free | Average rating: 4.5/5
Best Affordable Vegan Toothpaste
Desert Essence Tea Tree Oil Toothpaste is the best affordable vegan toothpaste. It’s natural, minty fresh, and free of fluoride and artificial sweeteners. The toothpaste uses tea tree oil which is a powerful antibacterial ingredient to keep the teeth plaque-free and gums healthy.
- What we like: natural, gentle, and affordable
- What we don’t like: not refreshing enough for some
Key ingredients: calcium carbonate, tea tree oil, baking soda, mint oil | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, SLS-free, fluoride-free, free of artificial flavorings and colorings, sustainably sourced ingredients, gluten-free, made in the USA | Average rating: 4.6/5
Best Non-Mint Vegan Toothpaste
Another one from Boka, their Coco Ginger Toothpaste is so good. It’s the best non-mint vegan toothpaste. It’s perfect for everyone who doesn’t like mint or struggles with morning sickness. The ginger is still fresh but not intense with some subtle notes of chamomile and coconut.
- What we like: lovely ginger taste, gentle formula
- What we don’t like: some find the flavor too sweet
Key ingredients: nano-hydroxyapatite, ginger, chamomile, coconut | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, fluoride-free, SLS-free, paraben-free, free of artificial flavorings and colorings, biocompatible, made in the USA | Average rating: 4.5/5
Best Vegan Toothpaste For Sensitive Teeth
Davids has the best vegan toothpaste for sensitive teeth. It uses nano-hydroxyapatite that actually blocks the path to your tooth’s nerve center. It helps make sure cold and hot liquids won’t hurt. This toothpaste takes such good and gentle care of your teeth and gums.
- What we like: desensitizes teeth, protects the enamel
- What we don’t like: doesn’t have a strong foam
Key ingredients: nano-hydroxyapatite | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, fluoride-free, SLS-free, free of artificial flavorings, colorings, and preservatives, eco-friendly, zero waste metal tube packaging, made in the USA | Average rating: 4.5/5
Best Vegan Toothpaste For Kids
Tom’s of Maine Natural Children’s Toothpaste in Silly Strawberry is the best vegan toothpaste for kids. First off, it tastes delicious and makes your kid want to brush their teeth. It gives a thorough cleanse and protects little teeth against cavities.
This toothpaste has both fluoride and fluoride-free options available. The fluoride-free is safe to swallow whereas fluoride is always a trusted choice for preventing tooth decay. The toothpaste uses real fruit juice and is free of artificial sweeteners and colorings.
- What we like: best flavor for kids, free of artificial sweeteners
- What we don’t like: contains SLS
Key ingredients: fluoride/calcium and silica, lemon, mango, pineapple, strawberry fruit juices | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, free of artificial flavorings, colorings, and preservatives, ADA-approved, made in the USA | Average rating: 4.6/5
Best Vegan Toothpaste Tablets
Bite Fresh Mint Bits are the best vegan toothpaste tablets. They’re free of fluoride, SLS, and preservatives. These bits give a good cleanse, freshen the breath, protect the enamel, and give you a bright smile in the most eco-friendly way. The tablets come in a refillable glass jar.
- What we like: fresh eco-friendly tablets
- What we don’t like: the texture is a bit chalky
Key ingredients: calcium carbonate, nano-hydroxyapatite, xylitol, erythritol, natural peppermint flavor | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, eco-friendly, zero waste, travel-friendly, fluoride-free, SLS-free, paraben-free, free of artificial flavorings and preservatives, refillable and recyclable glass packaging, made in the USA | Average rating: 4.3/5
Best Vegan Toothpaste Powder
Simply Sooney has the best vegan tooth powder. It’s organic, fluoride-free, and handmade in small batches in Texas. The all-natural powder uses limestone-derived calcium carbonate, bentonite clay, xylitol, magnesium citrate, sea salt, and organic peppermint oil. That’s all.
The vegan powder tastes great and cleanses the teeth without being abrasive. It’s also safe to swallow. We also love the empowering story of the female entrepreneurs behind the brand. And the powder comes in a recyclable amber glass jar.
- What we like: all-natural and organic formula
- What we don’t like: powder formula messier to use
Key ingredients: calcium carbonate, bentonite clay, xylitol, magnesium citrate, sea salt, organic peppermint oil, recyclable glass packaging | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, natural, organic, fluoride-free, SLS-free, paraben-free, synthetic preservative-free, handmade in the USA | Average rating: 4.7/5
Best Vegan Mouthwashes
These are the best vegan mouthwashes.
- Tom’s of Maine Wicked Fresh Alcohol-Free Mouthwash
- Auromère Ayurvedic Mouthwash With Neem & Peelu
- Desert Essence Tea Tree Oil & Spearmint Mouthwash
Best Vegan Dental Flosses
These are the best vegan dental flosses.
- Better & Better Natural Refillable Floss
- Radius Vanilla Mint Dental Floss
- ME Biodegradable Charcoal Dental Floss
- Eco-Dent GentleFloss Dental Floss
- Boka Cinna Mint Woven Dental Floss
Best Vegan Whitening Strips
These are the best vegan teeth whitening strips.
- Zimba Teeth Whitening Strips
- Plus Ultra Premium Teeth Whitening Strips
- Moon Dissolving Whitening Strips
Best Vegan Toothbrushes
These are the best vegan toothbrushes. Again, toothbrush is a vegan product but the companies need to be cruelty-free.
- The Humble Co. Plant Based Toothbrush
- Hello Replaceable Head Toothbrush
- Boka Power Brush Electric Toothbrush
Taking good care of your teeth is easy with vegan oral care products. There are no reasons animal-based products should be present in toothpaste and we respect the dental care brands who agree with us.
While many toothpaste brands still test on animals, things are changing for the better. New cruelty-free and vegan toothpaste brands are continuing to rise on the market, be it Tom’s of Maine, Hello, or Boka.
As we find new great vegan toothpastes, flosses, or mouthwashes, we will make sure to include them in this article.
Main image: courtesy of Hello