Bronzer is an important part of the daily makeup routine for many. Bronzer helps to contour your face and achieve a sunkissed complexion in the middle of a cold winter.
Finding vegan bronzers can be a headache since bronzers often include animal ingredients. Fortunately, we have come to the rescue.
Here are the best vegan bronzers for 2023. From Tarte to Rare Beauty, find the right vegan bronzer for your skin type and skin tone.
All bronzers below are vegan and cruelty-free, meaning they are free of animal ingredients and have not been tested on animals.
See also: Vegan Contouring Products
Best Vegan Bronzers
These are the best vegan bronzers for 2023 and beyond.
- Best Overall: Tarte Amazonian Clay Matte Waterproof Bronzer
- Best Runner-Up: Milk Makeup Matte Cream Bronzer
- Best Baked: Milani Cosmetics Baked Bronzer
- Best Cream: Rose Inc Solar Infusion Cream Bronzer
- Best Stick: Rare Beauty Warm Wishes Bronzer Stick
- Best Organic: BaeBlu Organic Beachin’ Bronzer
- Best Affordable: E.l.f. Primer-Infused Bronzer
- Best Luxury: Hourglass Ambient Lighting Bronzer
- Best For Fair Skin: Charlotte Tilbury Airbrush Matte Bronzer
- Best For Dark Skin: Lys Beauty No Limits Cream Bronzing Stick
- Best For Sensitive Skin: Well People Superpowder Bronzing Powder
- Best Plastic-Free: River Organics Makeup Bronzer Stick
Best Vegan Bronzer Overall
Tarte Amazonian Clay Bronzer is the best vegan bronzer. This mineral vegan bronzer is lightweight and streak-free and leaves the skin looking smooth and silky. It is great for achieving a natural summery tan for all skin types.
The bronzer is infused with Amazonian clay to make it easily blendable, buildable, and not patchy. It’s also waterproof and made without mineral oils and triclosan. Dermatologist-tested and gentle on the skin, it’s also great for sensitive and acne-prone skin.
- What we like: gives a beautiful summery glow, highly blendable
- What we don’t like: not transfer-proof
- What other reviews say: silky and smooth, feels lightweight, blends effortlessly, non-orangey, suits fair and Asian skin tones, not the best for olive skin
Key ingredients: Amazonian clay, mineral pigments | Formula: powder | Finish: natural matte | Shade range: 2 | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, clean, paraben-free, phthalate-free, sulfate-free, triclosan-free, mineral oil-free, gluten-free, dermatologist-tested, water-resistant
Best Vegan Bronzer Runner-Up
If you are looking for a more hydrating vegan bronzer, we also love this matte vegan bronzer from Milk Makeup. It nourishes the skin with mango butter and apricot oil and leaves it looking soft and healthy. It blends seamlessly and can be also used as a contour stick.
- What we like: natural result, glides on smooth
- What we don’t like: faulty packaging, breaks in different ways
- What other reviews say: smooth to apply, easy to blend, feels lightweight on the skin, terrible packing
Key ingredients: mango butter, apricot oil | Formula: cream | Finish: matte | Shade range: 5 | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, clean, paraben-free, gluten-free, synthetic fragrance-free
Best Vegan Baked Bronzer
Milani has the best vegan baked bronzer. It leaves the skin looking sunkissed and naturally glowing. The highly pigmented formula makes sculpting easy. There are 3 shades to choose from to match your skin tone the best. The bronzer is sunbaked on Italian terracotta tiles.
- What we like: warm luminous finish, subtle shimmer
- What we don’t like: not highly pigmented
- What other reviews say: shades are beautiful, blend well, streak-free, just the right amount of shimmer for a sunkissed look, new packaging can break
Key ingredients: mica, talc, jojoba seed oil | Formula: powder | Finish: shimmery | Shade range: 3 (beware, Amazon mixes in other Milani cheek products)| Features: vegan, cruelty-free, paraben-free, made in Italy
Best Vegan Cream Bronzer
Our favorite vegan cream bronzer is made with rose oil, vegans squalane, non-shimmery quartz, and tourmaline powders. The cream blends the best and gives a natural and luminous color to your cheekbones. It lasts long and is an excellent choice for dry skin.
- What we like: soft and silky, natural sunny glow
- What we don’t like: not defining enough, almost too natural
- What other reviews say: blends easily with both fingers and brush, hydrates dry skin, looks natural, works for acne-prone and sensitive skin
Key ingredients: tourmaline, quartz, rose oil, vegan squalane | Formula: cream | Finish: natural | Shade range: 4 | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, clean, natural, paraben-free, talc-free, synthetic fragrance-free
Best Vegan Bronzer Stick
Selena Gomez’s beauty brand is great at vegan cheek makeup products. Their Warm Wishes is the best vegan bronzer stick. It glides on smooth, blends easily, and gives a natural soft warmth to the cheeks. Plus, you’ll get 8 beautiful shades to choose from.
- What we like: applies evenly and quickly, natural, warm finish
- What we don’t like: some shades too orange
- What other reviews say: long-wearing, wide shade range, non-greasy, non-muddy, easy to apply, great for natural looks
Key ingredients: meadowfoam seed oil, sunflower seed oil | Formula: cream | Finish: natural | Shade range: 8 | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, clean, paraben-free, phthalate-free, mineral oil-free, dermatologisst-tested, non-comedogenic, water-resistant
Best Organic Vegan Bronzer
BaeBlu Beachin’ Bronzer is the best organic vegan bronzer. This lightweight mineral vegan bronzer blends easily with a powder brush. It has a buildable formula, so you can just achieve the right level or color for your skin. It’s all-natural, chemical-free, and made in the USA.
- What we like: skin-friendly and natural, richly pigmented
- What we don’t like: includes titanium dioxide
- What other reviews say: wears evenly and lasts all day, good for defining and sculpting, non-irritating suitable for sensitive skin
Key ingredients: organic buriti oil, mica, oregano, and thyme extracts | Formula: powder | Finish: matte | Shade range: 2 | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, organic, natural, clean, gluten-free, paraben-free, hypoallergenic, made in the USA
Best Affordable Vegan Bronzer
E.l.f. Primer-Infused Bronzer is the best affordable vegan bronzer. Costing under 10 dollars, this bronzer stays beautiful all day. It has a soft texture that is easy to pick up with a brush. It comes in one universal sunkissed shade that also works as a contour powder or eyeshadow.
- What we like: creamy for a pressed powder, long-wearing
- What we don’t like: only one shade option
- What other reviews say: non-shimmery, stays on the whole day, universal bronze shade fits many different skin tones, a great price-quality ratio
Key ingredients: bamboo stem powder, jojoba seed oil, shea butter | Formula: powder | Finish: matte | Shade range: 1 | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, paraben-free, phthalate-free, triclosan-free
Best Luxury Vegan Bronzer
This stunning luxury vegan bronzer from Hourglass is a hybrid of a bronzer and highlighter. It’s sheer, buildable, airy, and has a radiant finish. The mixed shade technology gives the skin more depth and a naturally sunkissed complexion. It also hides wrinkles and imperfections.
- What we like: gorgeous radiant glow, feels light on the skin
- What we don’t like: it’s expensive
- What other reviews say: gives a subtle radiance that is non-shimmery, not the most pigmented, lasts a long time, multi-dimensional look
Key ingredients: mica, diamond powder | Formula: powder | Finish: radiant | Shade range: 4 | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, paraben-free, talc-free, fragrance-free, gluten-free, nanoparticle-free, handmade
Best Vegan Bronzer For Fair Skin
The Airbrush Bronzer from Charlotte Tilbury is the best vegan bronzer for fair skin. The ‘Fair’ shade in natural soft bronze is the most beautiful light tone we have seen in a bronzer. It looks natural and matte on the skin and gives a subtle contour to the face.
- What we like: highly buildable, easy to blend
- What we don’t like: can look a bit powdery
- What other reviews say: goes on smoothly, natural result, convenient mirrored case, shades loved by fair skin types
Key ingredients: hyaluronic acid, microspheres | Formula: powder | Finish: matte | Shade range: 4 | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, sulfate-free, SLS-free, gluten-free
Best Vegan Bronzer For Dark Skin
Lys Beauty No Limits Cream Bronzer Stick is the best vegan bronzer for dark skin. It’s so creamy and blendable. It gives a natural bronzed glow and beautiful dimension to brown and black skin. You can choose between deep, dark, and tan shades. The stick is also great for contouring.
- What we like: hydrating, blendable, natural finish
- What we don’t like: can smudge
- What other reviewers say: smooth and creamy, blends like a dream, long-wearing, Worthy and Strength shades loved by dark skin
Key ingredients: rosehip oil, hyaluronic acid, green tea extract | Formula: cream stick | Finish: natural | Shade range: 5 | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, clean, natural, paraben-free, phthalate-free, mineral oil-free, fragrance-free, talc-free, gluten-free, black-owned business
Best Vegan Bronzer For Sensitive Skin
Well People’s vegan bronzer is great for sensitive skin because it’s organic and dermatologist-developed. It’s also free of fragrance and gluten. The bronzer has a smooth texture that blends nicely and gives the skin a soft bronzed glow. It also hydrates the skin with vegan squalane.
- What we like: beautiful sheer tan glow, organic
- What we don’t like: only one shade on Amazon (3 on their website)
- What other reviewers say: doesn’t irritate the skin, great for a soft glam look, works also as a contouring powder, good for oily and dry skin
Key ingredients: organic vegan squalane, organic corn starch, mica | Formula: baked powder | Finish: semi-matte | Shade range: 3 (1 on Amazon and Ulta)| Features: vegan, cruelty-free, natural, organic, paraben-free, gluten-free, mineral oil-free, talc-free, synthetic fragrance-free, dermatologist-developed, sustainable
Best Plastic-Free Vegan Bronzer
If you are looking for a plastic-free vegan bronzer, we recommend River Organics from Etsy. The handmade vegan bronzer comes in a zero-waste combustible tube. Made from cocoa and shea butter, it gives a light bronze sunkissed look. It also works as a vegan body bronzer.
- What we like: it’s zero waste and organic, creamy formula
- What we don’t like: quite shimmery, not long-wearing
- What other reviews say: beautiful color, hydrates the skin, dewy and radiant finish, also works as a lipstick, suitable for sensitive skin, smells like chocolate
Key ingredients: cocoa butter, shea butter, rosehip oil, vitamin E, mica | Formula: cream | Finish: radiant | Shade range: 1 | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, organic, natural, clean, handmade, fragrance-free, chemical-free, plastic-free, zero waste
Shop on: Etsy
Best Vegan Bronzer Brands
Looking for more vegan-friendly bronzers to choose from? These are the best vegan bronzer brands.
E.l.f. is one of the most popular American cosmetic brands. It is 10% vegan, cruelty-free, and surprisingly affordable. E.l.f has a long list of makeup products including a variety of vegan bronzers. Our favorites are their Putty Bronzer and Primer-Infused Bronzer.
Tarte is one of the top female-founded makeup brands in the USA. Most of its products are vegan and all are cruelty-free. Their Amazonian Clay Matte Waterproof Bronzer is one of the vegan makeup community’s favorites.
American brand Milani makes cruelty-free makeup with a touch of luxury. Milani cares about every skin type, and color, thus it is easy to shop for vegan bronzers are Milani. The brand is not 100% vegan but their bestselling Baked Bronzer is.
What Makes A Bronzer Vegan?
Vegan bronzer is a bronzer free from animal-derived ingredients. Also, vegan bronzers are not tested on animals or contain any ingredients tested on animals.
These are the typical ingredients that make a bronzer not vegan:
- Carmine: red pigment derived from crushed beetles
- Guanine: shine agent derived from fish scales
- Beeswax: waxy emollient produced by honeybees
- Stearic acid: emollient from pigs, cows, and sheep stomachs (can be also vegan)
- Glycerin: emollient from beef fat (can be also vegan)
Instead of animal-derived emollients, vegan bronzes use plant-derived fatty acids and oils like argan oil or jojoba oil. Beeswax can be replaced by carnauba wax or synthetic beeswax.
Instead of shiny guanine, vegan brands go for mica crystals or synthetic pearls. Instead of carmine, vegan brands use plant pigments such as beetroot colorings or iron oxides.
Often, bronzers still use animal-based ingredients, so you need to be careful. To make sure your bronzer is not tested on animals, prefer products with a certified vegan or cruelty-free label.
What To Look For In A Vegan Bronzer?
When choosing a vegan bronzer, it’s important to know your skin type. With dry skin and mature skin, look into vegan cream bronzers or vegan liquid bronzers. A powder vegan bronzer might dry your skin out even more and even visibly accentuate the dryness.
With oily skin and acne-prone skin, rather go for baked vegan bronzers that would not clog pores or cause breakouts. Powder bronzers that are non-drying also work well for combination skin. Sensitive skin should opt for hypoallergenic and fragrance-free vegan bronzers.
Like all bronzers, vegan bronzers also come in matte and shimmery shades, so pick the right finish for your taste. When using a high-pigmented highlighter, you might want to choose the matte vegan bronzer to avoid becoming your complexion becoming too shiny.
In addition, the vegan bronzer should suit your skin tone. The most flattering look is achieved if your bronzer is only one or two shades darker than your skin tone.
How We Review Vegan Bronzers
Here are the main criteria we review vegan bronzers by.
- Ingredients: Ingredients in vegan bronzers are everything. We expect to see more natural ingredients and emollients and fewer synthetic additives and preservatives.
- Shade options: We prefer vegan bronzers that can match different skin tones. Sometimes even one well-designed shade can work for a variety of complexions.
- Blendability: For the vegan bronzer to contour and highlight your cheekbones, it should be able to blend with your natural skin and melt into the skin. The texture is everything.
- Finish: Whether the vegan bronzer is matte or shimmery, all bronzer finishes should still look natural and complement the natural complexion.
Why Trust Us
We carefully review each and every bronzer we list. We take time to try out the bronzer first and combine our experience with online reviews. None of our reviews have been incentivized by the brand or the retailers.
FAQ About Vegan Bronzers
A bronzer is not always vegan but it can be. Many cosmetic brands still use animal-derived ingredients in bronzers and also test their bronzers on animals.
The typical ingredients that make a bronzer not vegan are carmine (crushed red beetles), guanine (the skin and scales of fish), and animal-derived emollients such as stearic acid.
Tarte Amazonian Clay Matte Waterproof Bronzer is the best vegan bronzer.
The best selection of vegan bronzers is available online. To find vegan bronzers in drugstores, choose products with certified cruelty-free or vegan stickers, or ask the store attendant for extra information.
No, NARS and its products are not vegan since NARS tests on animals.
No, L’Oreal and its products are not vegan since L’Oreal tests on animals.
No, Chanel and its products are not vegan since Chanel tests on animals.
This bronzer has both vegan and non-vegan options. The following shades are vegan: Inda Sun, Shady Biz, Private Island, I$land Ting, Bajan Gyal, Caramel Cutie, Coco Naughty, and Mocha Mami.
We know. The fact that bronzer might contain non-vegan components sounds ridiculous. But it’s true. Old habits die hard for makeup companies, especially when it comes to fish scales, crushed beetles, and beeswax.
Hope you found some good vegan bronzers from our list. We love the cruelty-free vegan bronzers from Tarte, Milani, and Milk Makeup. We keep trying out new vegan bronzing products every month and will add the top new ones to this list.
See also: Vegan Blushes
Article updated on May 5 (2023): Changed the best vegan bronzer for dark skin from Mented Cosmetics Sunkissed Bronzer to Lys Beauty No Limits Cream Bronzing Stick. Both look great on dark complexion, the creamy stick formula is just more hydrating for dark skin.
Article updated on April 28 (2023): Changed the best sensitive skin bronzer from Physician’s Formula Murumuru Butter Bronzer to Well People Superpowder Bronzer. While both bronzers are safe for sensitive skin, the latter has an even cleaner and more skin-friendly formula.