Makeup artists see concealer as the ultimate magic wand. Concealer is used for covering all types of imperfections such as blemishes, dark spots, wrinkles, dark circles, and eye bags.
If you are looking to perfect your makeup routine with concealer, choose a vegan concealer. We have listed the best vegan concealers for 2023. Clear complexion, a clear conscience.
All concealers below are vegan and cruelty-free, meaning they are free of animal ingredients and have not been tested on animals.
Best Vegan Concealers 2023
Here is a list of the best vegan concealers for your face and under-eyes for 2023.
- Best Overall: Kosas Revealer Brightening Concealer
- Best Waterproof: Urban Decay Quickie 24H Multi-Use Concealer
- Best Organic: Well People Full Coverage Bio Correct Concealer
- Best Affordable: NYX Can’t Stop Won’t Stop Contour Concealer
- Best For Dark Circles: Lawless Conseal The Deal Concealer
- Best For Eye Bags: Hourglass Vanish Airbrush Concealer
- Best For Acne: Dermablend Cover Care Full Coverage Concealer
- Best For Wrinkles: Tarte Shape Tape Full Coverage Concealer
- Best For Dark Spots: KVD Good Apple Lightweight Full-Coverage Concealer
- Best For Dry Skin: Milk Makeup Future Fluid Hydrating Concealer
- Best For Oily Skin: E.l.f. 16-Hour Camo Full Coverage Concealer
- Best For Dark Skin: Rare Beauty Liquid Touch Brightening Concealer
- Best For Pale Skin: Ilia Natural True Skin Serum Concealer
- Best For Sensitive Skin: BareMinerals Original Liquid Mineral Concealer
Best Vegan Concealer Overall
Kosas Revealer Concealer is the best vegan concealer. It’s very creamy and hides all traces of tiredness and darkness under the eyes. It blends beautifully with the skin and doesn’t crease. It’s the best vegan under-eye concealer but it also works for hiding redness and blemishes.
- What we like: creamy texture, gorgeous radiant result
- What we don’t like: too rich formula for oily skin
- What other reviewers say: best vegan under-eye concealer, blurred effect, doubles as an eye cream, very hydrating, non-cakey, safe for sensitive skin
Formula: cream | Coverage: medium to full | Finish: radiant | Shade range: 28 | Key ingredients: hyaluronic acid, peptides, caffeine, pink algae, arnica | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, clean, natural, paraben-free, phthalate-free, mineral oil-free, sulfate-free, talc-free, fragrance-free, gluten-free, silicone-free, allergy-tested, dermatologist-tested, non-comedogenic
Best Waterproof Vegan Concealer
Urban Decay’s Quickie is the best waterproof vegan concealer. It doesn’t budge or crease with sweating or humidity at all. It’s very long-wearing and our favorite to wear on special events and nights out. It’s great for covering dark circles and spots, it’s also nicely hydrating.
- What we like: best long-wearing vegan concealer
- What we don’t like: difficult to blend
- What other reviewers say: beautiful matte finish, hydrating, smart double-sided design, quick to apply and blend, covers dark circles quickly
Formula: liquid | Coverage: full | Finish: natural | Shade range: 24 | Key ingredients: vitamin E, glycerin, soybean oil, sunflower seed oil | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, paraben-free, non-comedogenic, waterproof
Best Organic Vegan Concealer
Well People offers our favorite organic vegan concealer. Made with organic pomegranate oil, castor oil, and olive oil, it is such a natural, soft, and creamy concealer. It covers redness, dark circles, and imperfections and leaves the skin beautifully nourished and moisturized.
- What we like: it’s organic with great coverage
- What we don’t like: quite a small tube
- What other reviewers say: covers blemishes and dark spots, a little goes a long like, soft, creamy, and lightweight texture, doesn’t irritate the skin
Formula: liquid | Coverage: full | Finish: radiant | Shade range: 20 | Key ingredients: organic olive oil, pomegranate oil, castor seed oil | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, clean, natural, organic, paraben-free, phthalate-free, sulfate-free, petrolatum-free, talc-free, nanoparticle-free, PEG-free, synthetic fragrance-free, non-GMO, sustainable, dermatologist-developed
Best Affordable Vegan Concealer
NYX Can’t Stop Won’t Stop is a fantastic affordable vegan concealer. It’s such a reliable concealer with great coverage and staying power. It brightens the skin and has a matte finish that oily skin types love. The thick texture is good at covering spots and acne scars.
- What we like: best vegan concealer for under $10
- What we don’t like: too drying for dry skin
- What other reviewers say: thick and creamy, stays on well, great for covering acne and scars, not waterproof though
Formula: cream | Coverage: full | Finish: matte | Shade range: 24 | Key ingredients: silicones, ethylhexylglycerin | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, paraben-free, waterproof
Best Vegan Concealer For Dark Circles
Conseal The Deal from Flawless is the best vegan concealer for dark circles. It covers dark circles perfectly while brightening the skin with caffeine and antioxidants. The shades with peachy undertones are especially good at neutralizing blue undertones that cause under-eye darkness.
- What we like: diminishes dark circles, very blendable
- What we don’t like: consistency is quite thin
- What other reviewers say: very lightweight, buildable, hydrating, nice natural matte finish, shades look beautiful, best for combination skin
Formula: liquid | Coverage: full | Finish: matte | Shade range: 20 | Key ingredients: caffeine, antioxidants, Nasturtium flower | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, clean, natural, paraben-free, phthalate-free, mineral oil-free, silicone-free
With dark circles or discoloration of any kind (redness, yellow hues), we suggest using a color corrector under the concealer. The best vegan color corrector is Tarte Shape Tape Color Corrector. Peach, orange, and red shades are great for neutralizing dark circles.
Best Vegan Concealer For Eye Bags
The Vanish Concealer is the best vegan concealer for eye bags. It has the right amount of coverage and creaminess to hide bags and puffiness and create a perfectly blended airbrushed finish under the eyes. It’s also very long-wearing and doesn’t set in lines.
- What we like: gorgeous blurred finish hides bags
- What we don’t like: cakes if you apply too much
- What other reviewers say: spreads beautifully, diminishes eye bags, long-lasting coverage, is also a great color-correcting vegan concealer
Formula: creamy liquid | Coverage: full | Finish: natural | Shade range: 22 | Key ingredients: green tea, Centella Asiatica, licorice root, rosemary extract | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, clean, paraben-free, phthalate-free, mineral oil-free, synthetic dye-free, synthetic fragrance-free, gluten-free, talc-free, non-GMO, nanoparticle-free, wax-free, mercury-free, alcohol-free, waterproof, non-comedogenic
Best Vegan Concealer For Acne
Dermablend Cover Care is the best vegan concealer for acne and acne-prone skin. It’s effective in covering acne and blemishes. And the gentle hypoallergenic formula doesn’t aggravate acne. The vegan concealer is alcohol-free, fragrance-free, and non-comedogenic.
- What we like: covers blemishes and redness
- What we don’t like: difficult to find matching shades
- What other reviewers say: hides acne, scars, and redness well, great coverage, non-creasing, can be drying for dry skin
Formula: cream | Coverage: full | Finish: soft matte | Shade range: 16 | Key ingredients: vegan glycerin, sunflower seed oil | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, clean, paraben-free, phthalate-free, alcohol-free, fragrance-free, SLS-free, non-comedogenic, dermatologist-tested, allergy-tested, safe for sensitive skin, waterproof
Best Vegan Concealer For Wrinkles
For hiding wrinkles and lines, nothing is better than Tarte’s Shape Tape. It’s the best vegan concealer for mature skin. It smooths out under-eye wrinkles instead of settling in them. It also brightens and hydrates the skin and gives the eye area a youthful, wide-awake look.
- What we like: diminishes eye wrinkles, skin looks smooth
- What we don’t like: a bit drying (always moisturize before)
- What other reviewers say: fills wrinkles and fine lines instead of pronouncing them, brightens dark circles, blends well, brightens the skin
Formula: creamy liquid | Coverage: full | Finish: natural matte | Shade range: 35 | Key ingredients: shea butter, mango butter, licorice root | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, clean, paraben-free, phthalate-free, mineral oil-free, SLS-free, gluten-free, waterproof, dermatologist-tested
Best Vegan Concealer For Dark Spots
KVD Good Apple Concealer is our favorite vegan concealer for hiding dark spots and hyperpigmentation. The lightweight formula doesn’t sit on the skin, it melts into the skin and disappears dark spots or sun spots completely. We love the buildable coverage.
- What we like: hides dark spots without feeling heavy
- What we don’t like: can crease
- What other reviewers say: great for dark spots and dark circles, blendable and buildable, brightening, natural finish
Formula: liquid | Coverage: full | Finish: natural | Shade range: 32 | Key ingredients: raspberry stem cells, apple extract | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, clean, paraben-free, phthalate-free, mineral oil-free, SLS-free
Best Vegan Concealer For Dry Skin
Milk’s Future Fluid is the best vegan concealer for dry skin. It keeps dry skin perfectly hydrated and comfortable throughout the day without any caking or creasing. It’s so creamy and smooth. This concealer also has a beautiful skin-reviving and brightening effect.
- What we like: best all-day hydration for dry skin
- What we don’t like: thick texture for a liquid concealer
- What other reviewers say: amazing hydration, gets rid of dry patches, very creamy, point tip allows for great precision
Formula: liquid | Coverage: medium to full | Finish: natural | Shade range: 30 | Key ingredients: hyaluronic acid, aloe vera, arnica, caffeine, vegan squalane, Defensil and Revivyl complex | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, clean, natural, paraben-free, phthalate-free, mineral oil-free, gluten-free, silicone-free
Best Vegan Concealer For Oily Skin
E.l.f. Camo Concealer is still our favorite vegan concealer for oily skin. This affordable concealer works overtime to keep oily skin matte and shine-free. It won’t budge for the whole day, it doesn’t cake, crease, or slide either. It’s also good at hiding acne and dark circles.
- What we like: stays matte for the whole day
- What we don’t like: difficult to blend
- What other reviewers say: excellent staying power for oily skin, hides dark circles and eye bags, thick texture, great coverage
Formula: liquid | Coverage: full | Finish: matte | Shade range: 26 | Key ingredients: Kaolin clay, avocado oil | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, paraben-free, phthalate-free, made in a fair trade factory
Best Vegan Concealer For Dark Skin
Rare Beauty Liquid Touch Concealer is the best vegan concealer for dark skin. They have the best shade range for brown and black skin in deep red, blue, golden, and neutral undertones. This concealer also has the most beautiful radiant finish to fight ashiness and dullness.
- What we like: great shades for dark skin, natural finish
- What we don’t like: not the strongest coverage
- What other reviewers say: deep shades praised in the community, lightweight and natural, dewy and hydrating, great for no makeup days, comfortable applicator
Formula: liquid | Coverage: medium | Finish: radiant | Shade range: 48 | Key ingredients: sunflower seed oil, Gardenia Florida Fruit, Sacred Lotus extract | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, clean, natural, paraben-free, phthalate-free, mineral oil-free, SLS-free, dermatologist-tested, suitable for sensitive skin
Best Vegan Concealer For Pale Skin
Ilia True Skin Serum Concealer is the best vegan concealer for fair skin. We especially love the extra light Mallow shade in cool undertones which looks great on pale and porcelain skin. The vegan concealer is also very natural and lightweight with a smooth texture.
- What we like: best shades for fair skin, brightening effect
- What we don’t like: can crease
- What other reviewers say: Mallow, Chicory, and Suma shades are loved by pale skin tones, it covers blemishes and dark spots, good consistency, lightweight
Formula: liquid | Coverage: medium | Finish: natural satin | Shade range: 20 | Key ingredients: vitamin C, mastic, Albizia Julibrissin Bark Extract |Features: vegan, cruelty-free, clean, natural, paraben-free, phthalate-free, mineral oil-free, silicone-free, synthetic dye-free, fragrance-free
Looking for a vegan concealer for medium skin tones? Fenty Pro Filt’r Instant Retouch is an excellent vegan concealer for Asian skin with yellow undertones. Too Faced Ethereal Light is the best vegan concealer for olive skin (especially Pecan shade with neutral undertones).
Best Vegan Concealer For Sensitive Skin
BareMinerals offers the best vegan concealer for sensitive skin. The natural mineral formula is free of over 2500 potentially harmful ingredients, including fragrance, talc, gluten, and silicones. While gentle, this creamy concealer is still good at covering imperfections and evening skin tone.
- What we like: clean, skin-friendly formula
- What we don’t like: many shades are out of stock
- What other reviewers say: does not irritate or break out sensitive skin, great at hiding dark circles, does not accentuate fine lines, good blendability
Formula: liquid | Coverage: medium | Finish: natural | Shade range: 25 | Key ingredients: white water lily extract, mineral-coated pearls | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, clean, natural, paraben-free, phthalate-free, SLS-free, mineral oil-free, PEG-free, gluten-free, talc-free, synthetic fragrance-free, tree nut-free
Best Vegan Concealer Brush
Tarte has the best vegan concealer blush. The smaller end of the vegan makeup brush is excellent at accessing smaller corners of the face while the bigger blush blends like a dream. The soft bristles work with both cream and liquid concealers. The result is completely streak-free.
What Makes a Concealer Vegan
Vegan concealer is a concealer free from animal-derived ingredients. Vegan concealers are also not tested on animals or contain ingredients tested on animals.
The typical ingredients that make a concealer not vegan are beeswax, squalane, lanolin, and glycerin.
- Beeswax – waxy emollient produced by honeybees
- Squalane – emollient made from shark liver oil (can be also vegan)
- Lanolin – a highly moisturizing oil derived from sheep’s wool
- Glycerin – emollient from animal fats (can be also vegan)
Instead of animal-derived fats and emollients, vegan concealers use plant oils and waxes such as candelilla wax and sunflower seed oil. Squalane and glycerin can be also plant-derived.
A lot of concealers today are still tested on animals or contain animal ingredients of some sort. To be sure your concealer is vegan-friendly, always look for a certified vegan label.
What To Look For In A Vegan Concealer
Choosing the right vegan concealer is a science of its own. As with all concealers, also vegan concealers are available in many different formulations and made for different purposes.
Types of Vegan Concealers
Here are the main types of vegan concealers:
- Vegan liquid concealer: Liquid concealers provide buildable natural coverage from light to full coverage. Liquid concealers work well for brightening dark circles and dark spots. Best vegan liquid concealer: Lawless Conseal The Deal Concealer.
- Vegan cream concealer: Cream concealers are more opaque and offer more coverage than liquid concealers. Cream formulas are usually better for hiding acne and imperfections. Best vegan cream concealer: Kosas Revealer Brightening Concealer.
- Vegan powder concealer: Powder concealers and cream-to-powder concealers offer light coverage with an airbrushed finish. Best vegan powder concealer: BareMinerals Loose Powder Concealer.
- Vegan concealer stick: Stick concealers are creamy, moisturizing, and easy to use, especially for under-eyes. Stick concealers are great for full coverage results. Best vegan concealer stick: Au Naturale Organic Creme Concealer.
- Vegan concealer pencil: Concealer pencils and pens allow for all kinds of coverage, they are usually blendable and also good for contouring. Best vegan concealer pencil: Anastasia Beverly Hills Pro Pencil. Best vegan concealer pen: Pür Disappearing Ink Concealer Pen.
When shopping for a vegan concealer, you should also pick one that fits your skin type. Dry skin and mature skin should prefer a hydrating vegan concealer with a more radiant finish, so your concealer would not cling onto your dry patches or sit in fine lines.
Oily skin should go for a concealer that is oil-free or mattifying to avoid caking, gliding off, and excess shine. Acne-prone skin should find a non-comedogenic vegan concealer. Sensitive skin should prefer a natural vegan concealer that is free of harsh additives such as parabens.
If you are looking for a great vegan concealer for men, we suggest cream-based concealers that are quick to apply and blend. A great vegan concealer for men is Mattr Skin Fix Concealer. For men with acne, good choices are also Stryx Concealer Pen and Frontman Acne Concealer
As for picking the right shade of vegan concealer, it depends on the purpose. For hiding dark under-eyes, go for one or even two shades lighter than your natural skin tone. For covering blemishes, make sure the concealer is as close to your natural skin tone as possible.
How We Review Vegan Concealers
We review vegan concealers based on the following criteria:
- Ingredients: The cleaner and more skin-friendly the vegan concealer, the better rating it receives from us. There is no need to stuff a concealer with fillers and additives.
- Texture: Texture is everything in concealers. It should be creamy enough to blend with the skin and not just sit on the skin. A good vegan concealer should not crease or cake.
- Coverage: Concealer needs to cover imperfections. Whether the vegan concealer covers pimples or dark circles, it needs to be able to cover something to get on our list.
- Finish: The best kind of vegan concealers leave a beautiful finish. Be it radiant, natural, or matte, the finish should not look artificial.
- Shade range: We value a wide shade range so that every skin tone with every undertone can find a matching vegan concealer.
- Price: We list vegan concealers at every price point from affordable drugstore vegan concealers to more high-end vegan concealers.
Why Trust Us
None of our vegan concealer listings has been incentivized by the brand or a retailer. We go through extensive product research when compiling a top list of products and choose our favorites based on our own experience and peer reviews.
FAQ About Vegan Concealers
A concealer can be vegan but many are not. The typical ingredients that make a concealer not vegan are beeswax, animal-derived squalane, and lanolin.
The best vegan concealer is Kosas Revealer Brightening Concealer.
You can find the largest variety of vegan concealers online, especially on Amazon, Ulta, and Sephora. When shopping for a drugstore vegan concealer, look for a certified vegan label on the product.
No. While NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer uses vegan-friendly ingredients, this concealer cannot be considered vegan since NARS tests its products on animals.
No. Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser Concealer is free of animal-derived ingredients but it is not vegan because Maybelline uses animal testing.
No, this concealer is not vegan. None of Givenchy’s products are vegan because the company tests on animals. The company hasn’t also made any vegan claims about their Prisme Libre Concealer.
No, this concealer doesn’t seem to be vegan. Flower Beauty has a vegan label attached to its vegan-friendly products. The Light Illusion Concealer does not have a vegan label on its product page. It’s unclear which of its ingredients are derived from animals.
When dealing with blemishes or dark circles, a vegan concealer can save your day. A good-quality concealer also revealed brighter and more even-looking skin.
Luckily, there is no reason a concealer should include any animal-based ingredients. Plant-based emollients can deliver the same results when it comes to hiding imperfections and correcting your skin tone.
Hope you found your favorite new cruelty-free vegan concealer from our list. As new vegan makeup brands enter the market, we are sure to try out all their concealers. If we like them, we’ll tell you all about them. Thanks for choosing vegan makeup.
See also: Vegan Foundations