Setting sprays make your makeup last. Forming a fine, protective barrier on your skin, the sprays ensure the makeup stays put for longer.
The setting spray – also known as fixing spray or finishing spray – is also great for refreshing the skin on a hot summer day or after exercising.
When shopping for a vegan setting spray, the world is your oyster. Vegan makeup setting sprays use natural plant extract to protect your skin from the outside world.
To help you choose, here are our favorite vegan setting sprays for 2023.
All setting sprays below are vegan and cruelty-free, meaning they are free of animal-based ingredients and have not been tested on animals.
See also: Vegan Setting Powders
Best Vegan Setting Sprays 2023
Below are the best cruelty-free vegan setting sprays currently available on the market.
- Best Overall: Urban Decay All Nighter Setting Spray
- Best Alcohol-Free: Milk Makeup Hydro Grip Setting Spray
- Best Oil-Free: Charlotte Tilbury Airbrush Flawless Setting Spray
- Best Waterproof: Smashbox Photo Finish Endurance Setting Spray
- Best Organic: Bella Jade Makeup Setting Spray
- Best Affordable: NYX Matte Finish Makeup Setting Spray
- Best For Dry Skin: Anastasia Beverly Hills Dewy Set Setting Spray
- Best For Oily Skin: One/Size On ‘Til Dawn Mattifying Setting Spray
- Best For Combination Skin: Hourglass Veil Soft Focus Setting Spray
- Best For Sensitive Skin: Rare Beauty Always An Optimist 4-In-1 Mist
- Best For Mature Skin: Milani Make It Last 3-in-1 Setting Spray
Best Vegan Setting Spray Overall
Urban Decay All Nighter is the best vegan setting spray of all time. You can feel confident with this one that the makeup stays locked in place for the whole day. The fine mist goes on evenly and gives the makeup a lovely soft glow while still looking matte and shine-free.
- What we like: makeup won’t budge, beautiful glow
- What we don’t like: chemical smell
- What other reviewers say: community favorite, lasts through sweating and dancing, perfect for weddings and events, looks good on photos, beautiful glow, blocks shine
Finish: natural | Key ingredients: aloe leaf juice, polyhydroxystearic acid from castor oil | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, paraben-free, mineral oil-free
Best Alcohol-Free Vegan Setting Spray
Milk Makeup Hydro Grip is the best alcohol-free vegan setting spray. It sets makeup in place without drying out dry skin or irritating sensitive skin. The clean, fine spray feels comfortable and fresh on the skin, it’s non-sticky and leaves a hydrated glow.
- What we like: fresh and clean formula
- What we don’t like: not great for oily skin
- What other reviewers say: holds makeup in place for the day, skin looks dewy, feels clean and comfortable, don’t forget to shake it to activate (dual-phase formula)
Finish: radiant | Key ingredients: blue agave, cannabis seed extract, hyaluronic acid, niacinamide, aloe, moringa seed oil | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, clean, natural, paraben-free, phthalate-free, mineral oil-free, synthetic fragrance-free, alcohol-free, gluten-free
Best Oil-Free Vegan Setting Spray
Charlotte Tilbury has the best oil-free vegan setting spray. The oil-free formula is great for oily and oily combination skin. It won’t clog pores or look shiny. This luxury makeup spray sets makeup in place beautifully with significantly extended wear.
- What we like: makeup looks great with this one
- What we don’t like: floral scent lingers
- What other reviewers say: long-wearing, mattifying but not too matte, excellent for controlling shine, transfer-proof
Finish: natural matte, airbrushed | Key ingredients: Japanese green tea, aromatic resin, aloe vera, polymers | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, paraben-free, phthalate-free, mineral oil-free, gluten-free, alcohol-free, oil-free
Best Waterproof Vegan Setting Spray
Smashbox Endurance is the best waterproof vegan setting spray. Resistant to sweat and humidity, this spray is great for special events, photoshoots, and hot summers. The makeup stays flawless for the longest. It also has some fantastic skincare ingredients like vitamin B5.
- What we like: very resistant to sweat and humidity
- What we don’t like: bad dispenser
- What other reviewers say: long-lasting, quick-drying, breathable, not sticky, makeup looks flawless and fresh, lasts through heat and sweating
Finish: natural | Key ingredients: hyaluronic acid, vitamin B5, trehalose sugar, probiotics | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, paraben-free, phthalate-free, mineral oil-free, SLS-free, alcohol-free, waterproof
Best Organic Vegan Setting Spray
Bella Jade has our favorite organic vegan setting spray. This bestselling spray uses organic green tea, white tea, and rooibos extracts to give your skin the most refreshing spritz while also setting makeup. The clean formula uses only 9 ingredients, one of which is the ultra-soothing MSM.
- What we like: light fresh scent, natural ingredients
- What we don’t like: not mattifying as promised
- What other reviewers say: natural and soothing spray, great for acne-prone skin, clean scent, makeup looks great, not sticky
Finish: radiant | Key ingredients: organic green tea, white tea, and rooibos extracts, MSM, sodium PCA | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, clean, natural, organic, paraben-free, petrochemical-free, synthetic fragrance-free, oil-free
Best Affordable Vegan Setting Spray
NYX Matte Finish is the best affordable vegan setting spray, especially for oily and combination skin. For less than 10 dollars, you get a really good-quality vegan spray. The makeup won’t budge for up to 16 hours. The skin stays shine-free through humidity and sweating.
Since this spray is undetectable on the skin with a natural matte finish, we also list it as the best vegan setting spray for men.
- What we like: matte and long-wearing
- What we don’t like: not for sensitive skin
- What other reviewers say: skin stays matte for hours, sets immediately, smudge-proof, transfer-proof, great price-quality ratio
Finish: matte | Key ingredients: niacinamide, plantain extract, Oregon grape extract | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, paraben-free, oil-free
Best Vegan Setting Spray For Dry Skin
ABH Dewy Set is an amazing vegan setting spray for dry skin. It makes dry skin glow with hydration for the entire day. It even counteracts the dryness of makeup powders underneath. We love the dewy finish and coconutty scent. PS The bottle is glittery but the spray itself is not.
- What we like: gorgeous dewy finish
- What we don’t like: it’s a bit sticky
- What other reviewers say: dry skin feels hydrated and comfortable, does not highlight dry patches or lines, lovely sweet scent, radiant finish
Finish: radiant | Key ingredients: vegan glycerin, panthenol, castor oil, hogweed extract | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, paraben-free, mineral oil-free
Best Vegan Setting Spray For Oily Skin
On ‘Til Dawn is the best vegan setting spray for oily skin. It’s the only setting spray that keeps oily skin completely matte and shine-free even in wet, hot, and humid climates. You may not be a fan of the strong scent but you will love how flawless the makeup looks with this one.
- What we like: blocks shine for oily skin
- What we don’t like: strong scent (hold your breath)
- What other reviewers say: excellent lasting powder, loved by oily skin, blocks oils from coming to the surface, makeup looks fresh for hours, great for special effects
Finish: matte | Key ingredients: green tea extract, witch hazel, cucumber extract | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, paraben-free, waterproof
Best Vegan Setting Spray For Combination Skin
Hourglass Veil is our favorite vegan setting spray for combination skin. It balances combination skin out with a dewy and hydrated finish. Meanwhile, it also blurs pores on the oilier T-zone. The fine mist applies evenly and keeps the makeup fresh for the whole day.
- What we like: hydrates combo skin, blurs pores
- What we don’t like: it’s expensive
- What other reviewers say: effectively locks makeup without drying the skin, gives nice all-day hydration, minimizes pores, accelerates makeup drying time
Finish: radiant | Key ingredients: vegan glycerin, green tea, moringa seed extract | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, paraben-free, phthalate-free, sulfate-free, mineral oil-free, gluten-free, synthetic fragrance-free, alcohol-free, water-resistant
Best Vegan Setting Spray For Sensitive Skin
Rare Beauty has the best vegan setting spray for sensitive skin. Made with soothing flower extracts, this mist is gentle and non-irritating. It sets makeup while allowing the skin to breathe. The mist is also non-comedogenic and free of alcohol and synthetic fragrances.
- What we like: hydrating and breathable
- What we don’t like: strong scent (from essentail oils)
- What other reviewers say: loved by dry and sensitive skin, keeps makeup from creasing, calming spa scent, beautiful glowing finish
Finish: radiant | Key ingredients: niacinamide, hyaluronic acid, lotus, gardenia, white waterlily | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, paraben-free, phthalate-free, mineral oil-free, SLS-free, alcohol-free, synthetic-fragrance-free, dermatologist-tested, safe for sensitive skin, non-comedogenic
Best Vegan Setting Spray For Mature Skin
Milani Make It Last is the best vegan setting spray for mature skin. It gives the smoothest skin especially if you use it first as a primer and spritz it on again for setting the makeup. The wrinkles and pores just don’t show with this one. It doesn’t cake or crease either.
- What we like: primer and setting spray in one, skin looks smooth
- What we don’t like: not the most mattifying
- What other reviewers say: best feedback from women over 40, does not pronounce wrinkles or pores, skin looks flawless especially if you spritz it and then gently dab it with a sponge, Dewy version works great for dry mature skin
Finish: natural | Key ingredients: niacinamide, castor oil, watermelon extract | Features: vegan, cruelty-free, paraben-free, made in the USA
Best Vegan Setting Spray Brands
These vegan makeup brands offer the best vegan setting sprays. Lock your makeup in place with their gorgeous cruelty-free, vegan-friendly makeup setting mists.
Milk was born out of a creative studio in New York, USA. They offer high-quality makeup and setting sprays – all 100% vegan, clean, and natural. We love their Hydro Grip vegan setting spray for dry skin and Pore Eclipse mattifying setting spray for oily skin.
E.l.f. is one of the most beloved and trusted drugstore vegan makeup and skincare brands. They have a great collection of vegan makeup setting sprays for all skin types. While affordable, their sprays are always paraben-free and phthalate-free and made in a fair trade factory.
Cover FX is another great vegan makeup brand from the USA. Their makeup is clean and high-performance. From Cover FX, you will find a variety of long-lasting vegan setting sprays. Enjoy illuminating, mattifying, and dewy results – the choice is yours.
What Makes A Setting Spray Vegan?
A vegan setting spray is free from animal products and byproducts. Vegan setting sprays are also not tested on animals or contain ingredients tested on animals.
Setting sprays are for the most part made from water, alcohol, and glycerin. While water and alcohol are vegan, glycerin can be vegan or animal-derived.
Today, glycerin aka sugar alcohol is typically derived from vegetables. But it can be also be made from animal fats aka tallow which is more cost-effective.
To be sure your setting spray is vegan, always look for a vegan certification. You can also contact the manufacturer to investigate the origin of the glycerin.
What To Look For In A Vegan Setting Spray?
To find the right vegan setting spray, you need to know your skin type and desired effect.
Oily and oily combination skin types should look for a mattifying vegan setting spray. Dry, dull, and mature skin benefits more from a dewy, hydrating finish.
If you have dry skin, you should also stay away from alcohol in your setting spray. Alcohol tends to dry out your skin even more. Oily skin should, on the other hands, avoid pore-clogging oils.
Sensitive skin should choose a fragrance-free vegan setting spray. Perfume is only added to make the product desirable and it can easily irritate your skin.
How We Review Vegan Setting Sprays
We review vegan setting sprays based on these criteria:
- Ingredients: The cleaner the formula of the vegan setting powder, the better. At the very least, the setting spray should be free of needless parabens.
- Skincare: The best kind of vegan setting sprays also include some skincare ingredients such as niacinamide or hyaluronic acid. We also like when a vegan makeup spray includes some botanical extracts and antioxidants.
- Hold: The most important task of a vegan setting spray is to hold makeup in place. That’s the basis of our rating system. It should help the makeup look fresh for hours and keep it from sliding or creasing.
- Finish: Whether the setting spray has a matte, natural, or radiant finish, the finish should look beautiful. A matte finish should not make the skin look dry and dull. A radiant finish should not look too shiny or glittery on the skin.
Why Trust Us
Our article of the best vegan setting sprays is fully independent and based on personal experience with the products. None of our reviews has been incentivized by the brand or any retailer.
FAQ About Vegan Setting Sprays
Setting sprays are not always vegan. Many setting sprays are tested on animals and contain glycerin that is derived from animal fats.
Vegan setting sprays are mostly made from water and plant-derived alcohol. Vegan sprays are also enriched with plant extracts and vegetable glycerin.
Urban Decay All Night Setting Spray is the best vegan setting spray.
The best vegan setting spray with SPF is Coola Makeup Setting Spray SPF 30.
You can find the largest variety of vegan setting sprays on Amazon, Ulta, and Sephora. When shopping for drugstore setting sprays, pick one with a certified vegan label.
Apply your vegan setting spray to the finished makeup, let it dry, and enjoy your long-lasting makeup look.
No. The Prep + Prime Fix+ Makeup Setting Spray is not vegan since MAC is a company that tests products on animals. The company has not also made any vegan claims about the product’s ingredients.
Every cruelty-free or vegan makeup brand has at least one amazing vegan setting spray. We especially love the setting sprays from Urban Decay, Milk Makeup, and NYX.
Vegan setting spray is an irreplaceable product. It not only makes the foundation last longer and helps the rest of the makeup look fresh as well.
No matter the skin type – there is the right vegan makeup setting spray for everyone. Go ahead, find your vegan spray, and enjoy long-lasting vegan makeup.
Tip: Try keeping your vegan setting spray refrigerated for an incredibly refreshing effect 🙂
See also: Vegan Setting Powders