If your skin is dry, flaky, itchy, saggy, or dull, it’s time you give vegan body lotion a go (1).
From Glow Recipe to Drunk Elephant, we have tested different vegan body moisturizers and picked out our very favorites for every skin type.
Made with luxurious plant oils and extracts, these cruelty-free vegan body lotions will wrap your skin in a blanket of moisture.
All products below are vegan and cruelty-free, meaning they are free of animal-derived ingredients and have not been tested on animals. 💚
Best Vegan Body Lotions 2024
Here are our favorite picks for vegan body lotions in 2024. Enjoy natural vegan body creams that nourish, soothe, and hydrate your skin from head to toe.
- Best Overall: Glow Recipe Watermelon Glow Body Cream
- Best Organic: Avalon Organics Nourishing Lavender Body Lotion
- Best Fragrance-Free: Verb Moisturizing Body Lotion
- Best Affordable: Pacifica Coconut Cream Body Lotion
- Best Anti-Aging: Juice Beauty Green Apple Firming Body Moisturizer
- Best For Summer: Drunk Elephant Sili Body Lotion
- Best For Winter: Hempz Koa & Sweet Almond Body Moisturizer
- Best For Dry Skin: Skinfix Barrier+ Lipid-Boost Body Cream
- Best For Sensitive Skin: Derma E Vitamin E Shea Body Lotion
- Best For Acne-Prone Skin: Paula’s Choice Weightless Body Treatment
- Best For Men: Jack Black Cool Moisture Body Lotion
- Best For Kids: Pipette Fragrance-Free Baby Lotion
Best Vegan Body Lotion Overall
Pink Dream Body Cream is the best vegan body lotion. Made with watermelon seed water and hibiscus AHAs, this silky vegan lotion deeply hydrates and gently exfoliates the skin. The skin feels so smooth, plump, and radiant after use. Read our full review here.
- What we like: moisturizes deeply, softens the skin
- What we don’t like: strong watermelon scent
- What reviews say: great cream to use after shaving, absorbs quickly into the skin, hydrates for a long period
Key ingredients: watermelon seed butter, watermelon extract, hibiscus aha, hyaluronic acid, Bacuri butter | Main benefits: smoothing, hydrating, moisturizing | Features: vegan, mineral oil-free, silicone-free, artificial colors-free, drying alcohols-free
Best Organic Vegan Body Lotion
This certified organic vegan body lotion from Avalon keeps your skin hydrated for a whole day. The simple vegan cream consists of lavender, aloe, and other plant lipids to rebalance and replenish your skin. The natural vegan lotion is free of parabens, synthetic dyes, and fragrances.
- What we like: absorbs quickly into the skin and leaves no greasy feeling, hydrates for the whole day
- What we don’t like: the pump is uncomfortable
- What reviews say: very moisturizing, pleasant lavender smell, great everyday body lotion
Key ingredients: lavender essential oil, aloe, plant lipids, beta-glucan | Main benefits: nourishing, moisturizing, softening | Features: vegan, synthetic fragrance-free, synthetic colors-free, GMO-free, made in the USA
Best Fragrance-Free Vegan Body Lotion
Verb Moisturizing Body Lotion is vegan and fragrance-free. It’s such a simple lotion that just smells fresh. Made from moringa oil, this non-greasy lotion absorbs instantly and leaves your skin silky soft. The gentle vegan lotion is also toxin-free, gluten-free, and safe for sensitive skin.
- What we like: nourishes, feels very lightweight, great body lotion for night
- What we don’t like: might not hydrate enough for very dry skin types
- What reviews say: great for different skin types even for sensitive ones, moisturizes for a full day
Key ingredients: argan oil, moringa oil, aloe vera, coconut oil | Main benefits: moisturizing, softening, hydrating | Features: vegan, fragrance-free, gluten-free, made in the USA
Best Affordable Vegan Body Lotion
If you are looking for a great affordable vegan body lotion for under $10, try this coconut treat from Pacifica. The vegan body lotion uses coconut water, sunflower oil, and a variety of plant extracts to hydrate your skin without feeling greasy. The lotion smells so lovely and fresh.
- What we like: it’s affordable, very refreshing, hydrates
- What we don’t like: specific coconut smell
- What reviews say: skin feels more smooth and softer, leaves no greasy feeling
Key ingredients: coconut water, sunflower oil, chamomile extract, arnica extract, sea kelp, vanilla | Main benefits: softening, smoothing, hydrating | Features: vegan, artificial fragrance-free, mineral oil-free, made in the USA
Best Anti-Aging Vegan Body Lotion
This organic vegan firming body lotion has superb anti-aging benefits. Jojoba and shea butter take care of the skin’s moisture levels. Fatty acids, vitamin C, peptides, and antioxidants firm the skin from head to toe and visibly reduce wrinkles. The skin is visibly brighter and more elastic after use.
- What we like: a little goes a long way, reduces fine lines, skin feels brighter
- What we don’t like: specific smell
- What reviews say: moisturizes deeply, skin looks healthier, positive results of the body lotion come quickly
Key ingredients: shea butter, jojoba oil, malic acid, apple juice | Main benefits: brightening, firming, smoothing | Features: vegan, recyclable packaging, artificial fragrance-free, artificial color-free, made in the USA
Best Vegan Body Lotion For Summer
Sili Body Lotion is wonderful for summer. Rich in fruit antioxidants and vegan ceramides, this vegan lotion protects and repairs the skin barrier from UV-induced damage. It also moisturizes the skin with marula and shea butter and adds a fresh glow. Love the light almond scent.
- What we like: absorbs quickly into the skin, leaves no greasy feeling
- What we don’t like: watery consistency
- What reviews say: great body lotion for everyday use, does not irritate sensitive skin
Key ingredients: marula butter, five-ceramide blend | Main benefits: moisturizing, nourishing, softening | Features: vegan, essential oils-free, silicone-free, artificial fragrance-free, color-free, drying alcohols-free, made in the USA
Best Vegan Body Lotion For Winter
This oil-rich vegan body lotion is best for relieving winter dryness. Sweet almond oil, hemp seed oil, shea butter, and avocado extract nourish, protect, and repair the skin beautifully. All the vitamins and fatty acids in these oils also fortify and renew the skin over time.
- What we like: softens and smoothens the skin, a little goes a long way
- What we don’t like: contains fragrances
- What reviews say: great body lotion to use even in a cold climate, feels light on the skin but hydrates deeply
Key ingredients: 100% pure hemp seed oil, almond extract, avocado extract, shea butter | Main benefits: hydrating, softening, soothing | Features: vegan, gluten-free, made in the USA
Best Vegan Body Lotion For Dry Skin
Skinfix Barrier+ Lipid-Boost Body Cream is the best vegan body lotion For dry skin. Packed with vegan ceramides, plant cholesterol, and fatty acids, the vegan cream deeply nourishes dry skin, packs in lots of good hydration, and prevents moisture loss. No dryness, tightness, or flakiness after this.
- What we like: thick consistency but absorbs quickly into the skin, the moisture lasts for the whole day
- What we don’t like: it’s expensive
- What reviews say: skin feels softer and brighter, does not irritate sensitive skin
Key ingredients: 15% healthy fats, 2% colloidal oatmeal | Main benefits: tightening, smoothing, softening | Features: vegan, fragrance-free, silicone-free, made in Canada
Best Vegan Body Lotion For Sensitive Skin
Derma E Vitamin E Shea Body Lotion is the best vegan body lotion for sensitive skin. made for sensitive skin. The natural vegan lotion soothes the skin and reduces redness with aloe, chamomile, and shea butter. The gentle formula is free of over 2500 potentially harmful ingredients, including fragrance.
- What we like: moisturizes deeply, helps to heal very damaged dry areas
- What we don’t like: the bottle is small
- What reviews say: absorbs quickly into the skin but hydrates for a long period, calm dry and red areas
Key ingredients: aloe, chamomile, shea butter | Main benefits: calming, soothing, moisturizing | Features: vegan, artificial fragrance-free, dermatologist-recommended, artificial colors-free, gluten-free, GMO-free, mineral oil-free, recyclable packaging, made in the USA
Best Vegan Body Lotion For Acne-Prone Skin
Paula’s Choice Weightless Body Treatment comes highly recommended for oily and acne-prone skin. The lightweight vegan lotion includes 2% salicylic acid to clarify blemishes and keep the pores clean. Vitamin E, chamomile, and green tea meanwhile calm the skin and offer hydration.
- What we like: skin feels softer and smoother, reduces small bumps
- What we don’t like: takes time to see results
- What reviews say: cures long-term acne, the overall condition of the skin improves and softens
Key ingredients: salicylic acid, chamomile, green tea, vitamin E | Main benefits: softening, smoothing, hydrating | Features: vegan, artificial fragrance-free, oil-free, made in the USA
Best Vegan Body Lotion For Men
Jack Black has made this bestselling vegan body lotion for men. It has an amazing cooling effect that invigorates the skin, especially after a shower. The lotion also has vitamin E, soy protein, macadamia nut oil, and jojoba oil to keep the skin healthy and moisturized.
- What we like: moisturizes deeply, leaves no greasy feeling
- What we don’t like: contains fragrances
- What reviews say: absorbs quickly into the skin, hydrates, and calms the skin after showering
Key ingredients: macadamia nut oil, vitamin e, jojoba oil, soy protein, menthyl lactate, glycerin | Main benefits: nourishing, soothing, hydrating | Features: vegan, dermatologist tested, made in the USA
Best Vegan Body Lotion For Kids
Pipette Baby Lotion is our favorite vegan body lotion for babies and kids. This fragrance-free lotion keeps baby’s skin soft, hydrated, and protected with vegan squalane, ceramides, and vegetable glycerin. The lotion is EWG-verified, hypoallergenic, and safe for even the most sensitive skin.
- What we like: hydrates for the whole day, does not irritate sensitive skin
- What we don’t like: watery consistency
- What reviews say: great to use after bathing, absorbs quickly into the skin, skin feels softer
Key ingredients: squalane, glycerin, ceramide NP | Main benefits: hydrating, moisturizing, calming | Features: vegan, artificial fragrance-free, hypoallergenic, soy-free, non-comedogenic, alcohol-free, made in the USA
Best Vegan Body Lotions By Concern
Vegan body lotions are able to address a variety of skin concerns from cellulite to stretch masks and keratosis pilaris. Here are our favorite vegan body moisturizers to relieve different skin issues such as cellulite or eczema.
- For Cellulite: Sol de Janeiro Brazilian Bum Bum Cream
- For Eczema: Acure Everyday Eczema Lotion
- For Acne & Scars: Paula’s Choice Weightless Body Treatment 2% BHA
- For Wrinkles: Skinfix Resurface+ AHA Renewing Body Cream
- For Redness: Acure Seriously Soothing 24HR Moisture Lotion
- For Itchiness: Derma E Itch Relief Lotion
- For Sunburn: Avalon Organics Aloe Unscented Body Lotion
- For Stretch Marks: Summer Fridays Babymoon Belly Balm
- For Hyperpigmentation: Medix 5.5 Vitamin C + Turmeric Cream
- For Keratosis Pilaris (bumps): First Aid Beauty KP Smoothing Body Lotion
Best Vegan Body Lotions By Ingredient
Are you looking for a vegan body lotion with sunscreen? Or with retinol? See our selection for the best vegan body lotions that feature a particular active ingredient.
- With SPF: Hempz Yuzu & Starfruit Daily Herbal Body Moisturizer SPF 30
- With Niacinamide: Biossance Squalane + Caffeine Toning Body Cream
- With Hyaluronic Acid: Kopari Beauty Ultra Restore Body Butter
- With Retinol: Medix 5.5 Retinol + Ferulic Acid Anti-Sagging Treatment
- With Vitamin C: Juice Beauty Green Apple Firming Body Moisturizer
- With Ceramides: Drunk Elephant Sili Body Lotion
- With Collagen: Pacifica Beauty Vegan Collagen Body Milk Spray
Best Vegan Body Butters
Body butter is a body lotion with a higher concentration of oils. For a truly nourishing experience, see our choice of the best vegan body butters and balms. The Body Shop Avocado Body Butter is the best vegan body butter.
Other butters we recommend are:
- Pacifica Island Vanilla Body Butter
- Josie Maran Whipped Argan Oil Body Butter
- Kopari Beauty Ultra Restore Body Butter
- Aesop Geranium Leaf Body Balm
Best Vegan Body Oils
Vegan body oils are much needed in cold winter months and for dry, dehydrated skin. Here are the best vegan body oils from Herbivore to Osea.
- Versed Keep It Supple Body Oil
- Herbivore Coco Rose Soft Glow Body Oil
- Biossance 100% Squalane Oil
- Osea Undaria Algae Body Oil
Best Vegan Body Lotion Brands
Looking for more cruelty-free vegan body lotions? These are the best brands for vegan body lotions.
Love Beauty & Planet
Love, Beauty & Planet offers affordable vegan body lotions that are ethically made in the USA. They mainly use natural ingredients such as coconut water, argan oil, shea butter, tea tree oil, murumuru butter, rosehip, and turmeric.
Though owned by Unilever, Love, Beaty & Planet is PETA-certified vegan and promotes fair wages. The brand has also promised that by 2030, all of its packaging will be biodegradable.
The Body Shop
The Body Shop is still the king of vegan body balms, lotions, and vegan body yogurts for every skin type. Through its Fair Trade program, The Body Shop procures ethical raw materials from every corner of the world.
The Body Shop is a cruelty-free and vegetarian company. 60% of their products are suitable for vegans and they have promised to go fully vegan by 2024. On their website and on Ulta, you can also filter out vegan-friendly body lotions.
Sol De Janeiro
Sol De Janeiro made waves across the body care world with its Brazilian Bum Bum vegan body cream. Sol De Janeiro body creams are reef-safe and made in the USA from locally sourced ingredients. Your skin is left visibly smoother and more toned.
All Sol De Janeiro body lotions are certified vegan. The company is cruelty-free, only their Brazilian Kiss Cupuaçu Lip Butters include beeswax. So if you like scented vegan body lotions, this brand is definitely for you.
Hempz is a vegan and cruelty-free skincare brand with an excellent collection of vegan body moisturizers for every skin type. The brand pairs 100% pure hemp seed oil with a variety of plant extracts to offer your skin hydration and nourishment.
Thanks to hemp, the natural vegan brand makes sure your body gets the important skin vitamin E, amino acids, and omega fatty acids with every lotion. Hempz also has a collection of vegan body lotions with CBD oil and vegan body lotions specially made for sensitive skin.
For vegan body lotions that are both natural and affordable, check out Pacifica Beauty. The brand has a wide selection of body care products – all 100% vegan.
Choose your favorite vegan body cream from coconut, strawberry beach, lavender, and other beautiful natural ingredients. The body lotions from Pacifica are also clean, toxin-free, and suitable for all skin types.
What Makes Body Lotion Vegan
A vegan body lotion is free from animal-derived ingredients. Vegan body lotions are also not tested on animals or contain any ingredients tested on animals.
The typical ingredients that make a body lotion not vegan are squalene, honey, collagen, lanolin, glycerin, and animal-derived stearic acid.
- Squalane: emollient derived from shark liver oil (can also be vegan)
- Honey: a thick and nutritious substance produced by bees
- Collagen: a protein found in animal bones, nails, hair, and skin
- Lanolin: wool grease or wool wax, derived from sheep
- Glycerin: emollient derived mostly from cow fat (can also be vegan)
- Stearic acid: emollient derived mostly from pigs’ stomachs (can also be vegan)
Instead of animal products, vegan brands use plant-derived fatty acids and emollients in body lotions.
For example, squalene can also be derived from olive oil or rice and glycerin from soybeans or coconut. Stearic acid can be made from different plant fats.
There are numerous natural moisturizers that do the trick even on their own. Most effective ones include shea butter, jojoba oil, or cocoa butter.
To make sure the body lotion is vegan, it is best you look for a vegan sticker or even better – a certified vegan label.
What To Look For In Vegan Body Lotions
First, determine your skin type. Vegan body lotions with a thick and rich texture are intended for harder and drier skin, including hardened elbows and heels.
Those who have normal skin types should go with lightweight vegan lotions and vegan body yogurts. Glycerin lotions will do just fine, no need for heavy oils.
If you have sensitive skin, choose the most natural vegan body lotion without hard additives such as parabens, sulfates, perfume, and essential oils.
Tip: The best time is to cream the body immediately after taking a shower. The skin pores are then open and absorb nutrients better.
How We Review Vegan Body Lotions
This is our process at Vegan Avenue in finding the best vegan body lotions.
- Ingredients: With vegan body lotions, ingredients are everything. We prefer vegan lotions that mainly use natural oils and plant extracts and avoid needless chemicals and fillers.
- Hydration: The most important function of a vegan body lotion is to hydrate. Hydration was our key in determining the best vegan body lotions. A lotion should relieve dryness instantly as well as keep the skin comfortable throughout the day.
- Absorption: A good vegan body lotion should not leave a greasy film on the skin. Ideally, you should be able to get dressed pretty soon after applying the lotion
Vegan Body Lotion Comparison
|Watermelon Glow Body Cream
|Watermelon Seed Butter, Watermelon Extract
|Smoothing, Hydrating, Moisturizing
|Nourishing Lavender Body Lotion
|Lavender Essential Oil, Aloe, Plant Lipids, Beta-Glucan
|Nourishing, Moisturizing, Softening
|Moisturizing Body Lotion
|Argan Oil, Moringa Oil, Aloe Vera, Coconut Oil
|Coconut Cream Body Lotion
|Coconut Water, Sunflower Oil, Chamomile Extract
|Green Apple Firming Body Moisturizer
|Apple Juice, Shea Butter, Jojoba Oil
|Sili Body Lotion
|Marula Butter, Five-Ceramide Blend
|Koa & Sweet Almond Body Moisturizer
|100% Pure Hemp Seed Oil, Almond extract, Avocado Extract, Shea Butter
|Barrier+ Lipid-Boost Body Cream
|For Dry Skin
|Healthy Fats, Colloidal Oatmeal
|Vitamin E Shea Body Lotion
|For Sensitive Skin
|Aloe, Chamomile, Pycnogenol
|Weightless Body Treatment
|For Acne-Prone Skin
|BHA (Salisylic Acid), Shea Butter, VItamin E
|Cool Moisture Body Lotion
|Macadamia Nut Oil, Vitamin E
|Fragrance-Free Baby Lotion
|Squalane, Glycerin, Ceramide NP
|Hydrating, Moisturizing, Calming
Why Trust Us
We have tried out all the vegan body lotions that we have listed in this article. Personal experience is key in finding out the best lotions. Only our own trials allow us to rate the sensorial experience, packaging, and general feeling, texture, and scent of the lotion.
In finding the best vegan body lotions, our team has also done extensive research about the brand and ingredient lists. We also compare our own experience with reading countless reviews online – both on different e-commerce platforms and skincare forums.
FAQ About Vegan Body Lotion
Body lotions can be vegan but many are not. Look out for animal products like beeswax in the ingredient list. Also, many popular skincare brands still test their products on animals.
Vegan body lotions are made with plant-based emollients and oils. Such as shea butter, jojoba oil, or cocoa butter.
The best vegan body lotion is the Live Clean Bali Oil Nourishing Body Lotion. It is deeply hydrating and nourishing and absorbs quickly.
You can find the largest variety of vegan body lotions online. Amazon and Sephora have the best selection of vegan body lotion brands.
A vegan body lotion is a great product to moisturize, nourish, and strengthen your skin. Lotions also help protect your skin from external stressors like sun and pollution.
Nature has given us a lot of moisturizers like shea butter, coconut oil, and jojoba oil. Vegan brands utilize natural skin superfoods incredibly well.
We love the vegan body lotions from Verb, The Body Shop, Pacifica Beauty, Glow Recipe, and other vegan and vegetarian brands.
Hope you also found your new favorite vegan body moisturizer from our list. We’ll keep updating this list with new great pampering products.
See also: Vegan Hand Creams
Update on May 04 (2023): Fact checked and medically reviewed by MD Shimona Garg
Update on February 18 (2023): Added a reference to support body lotion benefits
Update on November 30 (2022): Added a comparison table
Update on August 4 (2022): After trying out new body lotions, we made some major changes to our product selection. Among others, the overall best vegan body lotion was changed from Cocokind Sake Body Lotion to Glow Recipe Pink Dream Body Cream. We also created separate sections for vegan body lotions by ingredient and skin concern and selected the best vegan body butters and oils.